Fleadh Nua - It’s that time of year again!

Fleadh Nua - It’s that time of year again!

The Fleadh Nua website at http://www.fleadhnua.com//index.php has been updated and now includes information on most of the events for 2009. For anyone who hasn’t been to Ennis for this festival, the “Fleadh Nua Experience” is worth clicking on as it gives a flavour of what it’s all about. The video was probably made some years ago judging by the ages of some of the younger musicians. Sadly also some of the more senior ones are no longer with us like Clarecastle fiddler, John Joe Casey, featured in session near the end. On a brighter note the irreppressible Robbie Mc Mahon, who diddles “The Mason’s Apron” and also gives a few verses of his own composition “The Fleadh Down in Ennis”, is still hale and hearty and will feature at many events this year including the Singers’ Club of which he’s President.

I’ve been told that the Saturday night Kilfenora concert in Glór is sold out but that there are still a few tickets left for the Chieftains on Wednesday night – these can be booked on-line at http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase.

My main interest is the daily Foinn Seisiún workshops and I may be looking for your help in deciding on the best tunelist (once I’ve drawn up a couple of alternatives) in a day or two. Hopefully some of you will get down to Ennis as it’s always nice to be able to put a “face to a handle”; also it’s even better to be able to fit in a few tunes between the discussions!

Re: Fleadh Nua - It’s that time of year again!

I will be coming over from Australia - but I only have from the 17-20th in Ennis so I’m hoping the workshops and that will be running. I’d love to catch up with some of thesession.org-ers; I’m also seeking some fiddle tuition whilst I’m there, so if you have any suggestions I’d be eternally grateful!

Posted by .

Looking forward to it Bannerman! 🙂

I wish I could make it over, but alas……might make it for November though. Have a nice one!

b2jay, will be delighted to meet you in Ennis as we don’t get too many people from down under! The only workshops running from 17th to 20th will be the Foinn Session ones which are just about going through session tunes. However, for fiddle tuition you’d be better off linking up with one of the Clare fiddle teachers. Pat O’Connor, who has a nice East Clare style, might be available and can be contacted via Custy’s Music Shop (email: custys.ennis@eircom.net).

Sherryc, if you’re who I think you are, then I’m definitely looking forward to a few tunes with you. You’ll probably also be interested to hear about an exciting new trad group, Blasta, who will be coming to Fleadh Nua for the first time!

Re: Record Breaking Siege of Ennis

For anyone who’s around on the first Sunday afternoon (17th May at 2.00pm) come and see the Kilfenora Céilí Band for free at the Ennis Fair Green. You can also join in with the dance to become part of history in breaking the existing World record foe a Siege of Ennis!

Seriously though it’s all in a very good cause to raise funds for the Special Olympics - see http://www.siegeofennis.com/ for details - and there’s a special tuition DVD going on sale with instructions on how to do the dance at just €10 which will raise funds for the cause. If you want just a vague idea on how the dance is done,have a look at the Youtube clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-0JGLEm_c. It all looks a bit too vigorous for my liking but I suppose we’ll have to make the effort for Clare and the cause - UP THE BANNER !!!

Sorry about the typo in "foe a Siege of Ennis" it should be "for" as we don’t expect any foes on the day, not even that Cork lot who presently hold the World record!

Record Breaking Siege of Ennis for Special Olympics

That is so cool Bannerman!

My eldest son has Autism and just participated in our County’s Special Olympics here in Florida. Great fun for all the kids, we had a blast.

Thanks Bannerman, I’ll give Pat a bell on the email. Would be stoked to catch up and meet you - I haven’t been over in ages, so am pretty excited. The last time I was in Clare was on massive tune benders with the lads from Fahey’s in Miltown Malbay during Willy Clancy week so am preparing my fingers for the assault that will be!!

Posted by .

SWFL, it looks like the "Siege of Ennis" event will be a hoot - I found another Youtube link at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnda_SH-zU&feature=related of a performance in Wooster, Ohio which is a bit more sedate than the original referred to above! The comments on this one were priceless in that one poster didn’t even know there was such thing as a real Ennis; obviously not a musician.

Bannerman- I’m part of the group Blasta! 🙂

That’s another good reason for people to come to Ennis Sherryc. Although I’ve never heard Blasta, I believe they have a good track record and are representing trad in "The Battle of the Bands" having qualified for the finals. We’ll all be able to judge for ourselves when you take to the gig-rig on Saturday! By the way am I right on the competition or is it now history where the finals have already taken place?

We are looking forward to be part of the Fleadh Nua! 🙂

The finals take place on the 5th of June, in Vicar Street. I believe we are the only trad group in the competition, we need all the support we can get!!

You heard that fellow Yellowboarders and now you know where to be on June 5th to support one of our own.

Congrats Sherryc - Show those Heavy Metallers how it’s done!

It’s always a mighty time. I can still remember the Fair green being packed with tents in the late 70s and early 80s….for some reason the weather always seemed good….seeing Tony Cullinane and John King in full swing is another lasting memory! Beir Bua to the Fleadh.