Anyone coming to Girvan?

Secure and cheap camping
Sessions galore
And gigs (if you can be bothered)

Re: Girvan

I’ll be there.

And yes, it is good.

It is a great festival. It has always been one that is very session dominated with lots of pub venues throughout the town. The campsite used to be free but there was apparently problems with the local yooves so they decided to hire security for the site last year and put up some fencing. It now costs £10 to camp there for the duration of the festival but that includes rows of portaloos and a wall of bottled water for campers use. The campsite is right on the shore too so the views can be really nice if the weather holds up. There is always the possibility of booking accomodation in the town too if you are after a room.

Not much else to say. The gigs are a bit of an add on that lots of people don’t tend to go to although I believe they still do well. Certainly they have a high calibre of artists.

The sessions will start on the Friday evening and finish in the afternoon of the monday.

Come along.

See you there Al

"The gigs are a bit of an add on "

It just seems that way but it’s true they were a bigger part of things in the old days and the session scene was smaller at the start.

Usually, I can manage to fit in both but it’s a very hectic weekend.

Those of us who have camper vans can stay for free down by the beach(beyond the harbour) and it’s nice and quiet down there. It’s a fairly short walk from the public toilets(which are OK) and shops/cafes etc for snacks in the morning.

Unfortunately, they’ve now closed the swimming pool but there’s nowhere for a proper shower on the camp site either.

Sadly, some of the good pubs have closed but The Harbour Bar and Royal Hotel are probably best for Irish music. Also, The Hamilton Arms although this can be a bit "rough and ready" at times.

If you are a singer, The Southfield is the place and "mixed" sessions can be found in The Westcliffe and Queens.

Not me - off to Ullapool for Fèis Rois nan Inbheach - but I’m sure it will be fun.