Fox Chase and National Anthem

Fox Chase and National Anthem

This is one that has been puzzling me for some time. In the Fox Hunt or Fox Chase (the long descriptive piping piece) there suddenly is a phrase (indicated ‘slow’ in O’Neill’s) that is very much alike the first bars of the national anthem of the USA.

Is this merely a coincidence? Or is there ‘proof’ that one was derived from the other? If so, which one is the oldest?

Re: Fox Chase and National Anthem

The tune used for the US National Anthem (The Star-Spangled Banner) is widely accepted as being the tune of an English drinking song, written (circa 1771) by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreonic Society (a drinking club based in pub in the Strand, London, England).

Its a folk tune for sure. It does really fit the fiddle. I’ve been playing it into a Paddy Fahey reel in G lately

its really hard to sing, though

that’s why we applaude after someone sings it at the ball game. We’re all impressed that they actually could sing the thing.

Mix: thanx

Nate: LOL

Who can mention more of these ‘descriptive pieces’, I remember there is one describing a batlle (forgot the name) but that’s all.

but Mix is right that the tune was a popular English drinking song. Damned English are always causing trouble, really, but somehow this tune was popular at the time.

What happened was people reprinted the poem with "to the tune of…" across the top of the sheet, and so they needed a widely known melody

enter the English drinking song, since it was either that or the Alleluia Chorus and Beetoven had already sued for the copywrite, so we were stuck with the drinking song.

Then it came time for us to pick a national anthem. I think we had to pick one for the 1936 Olympic Games, but someone should fact check that as I’m a bit foggy on why we had to pick one at all (maybe it was a requirement of the old League of Nations?)

but be that as it may, the Star Spangled Banner was selected by a quinticentially American process: some lobby groups spread a bunch of money around Washington and had them vote for a tune that they held the publishing rights to, and so "God Bless America" which is a much easier tune to sing (and listen to) was snubbed.

Also snubbed, though not for the same reasons was Bruce Springstein’s "Born in the USA" and the Guess Who singing "American Band"

I’m just relating what I remember from school, so I may have a fact wrong here or there, but that is basically how the subject was taught in public schools when I was growing up

That’s interesting, Nate.

Not Guess Who: ‘cause they were Canadians? BTW it was American Woman they sang, or am I missing the point?

Well, it happened more like this; originally, Key’s poem was widely published in broadsheet form and quickly became very popular- all three stanzas. Somehow, someone figured out that the rhythm of the text fit the rhythm of To Anacreon In Heaven, and it morphed into a song. The US Army Bands were playing it by the 1870s, and in 1931 Congress decided to call it our National Anthem.

Only the first stanza is widely known (unless, of course, you are a 6th grader in my classroom, where you would sing all three stanzas) and the entire first stanza is one long question.

That’s the only problem with "American Band" being our national anthem. The Guess Who are a bunch of Canadians

Other than that it would be great.

picture it on the podium at the Olympics, or played as we march triumphantly into somebody’s capitol city…"We’re comming to your town, we’re gonna party down, yes, we’re an American Band"

God help me I’d salute that!

Wasn’t American Band sung by Grand Funk Railroad?

American Woman is what you’re thinking of Nate Ryan. Listen to the lyrics, they’re not flattering.

dammit, your right

it was Grand Funk Railroad

well, that’s what happens when you fact check American history

A typical 4th of July concert in a typical US park is often highlighted by a performance of the "1812 Overture". The irony never escapes me.

Well, that’s America for you; music composed by a Russian, based on a French tune, performed by an orchestra most often directed by a conductor from (_____) …

if someone could please youtube search "darby o gill and the little people" and listen to the ‘fox chase song’ as presented in the segment of movie where darby o gill is playing the chase for the leprachauns. I would like to have tabliture or sheet music for that tune. i cant find any reputable copy of it in writing anywhere. thank you

don’t show yourself up as a loser - try harder - its out there. I’m not going to show you - just do it yourself

Posted by .