Looking for a hornpipe

Looking for a hornpipe

I’m looking for a cute hornpipe that has a little ending on each half similar to the Delahunty’s Hornpipe: F2D2 D2 It might be that Delahunty’s is what I’m looking for, but I’m not sure. So I thought I would see if there are others. Any suggestions?

Re: Looking for a hornpipe

🙂

That is the most you can remember? or really the most distinctive part of the melody? (Or are you just joshing?)

My guess is that dozens of HPs will end like this.
I know not very helpful. But I wouldn’t be much help from ABC notation anyway, I’m not very good at relating the letters to the tunes.

Try an advanced search here for F2D2 D2:| and F2 D2 D2:| (and maybe also with a space before the colon. There’s a bunch of hits but not too many to look through.

I would have an easier time thinking of hornpipes that *didn’t* end like that! 😉

But to name a few of the better known ones off the top of my head:

Home Ruler
Chief O’Neill’s
The Blackbird
Plains of Boyle
Flowers of Spring

Or maybe I just got sucked in to a very clever windup…

Stack of Barley
Shan van Vocht

Posted by .

Sorry to be so vague. I guess a lot of them do end like that. But not all of them are cute and happy all the way through. Thanks for the advanced search tip. That ought to help.

Cooley’s
The Boys of Ballycastle

(Not sure how "cute" these are though)

f2 d2 d2?
Sailor’s Hornpipe

barndance?

https://thesession.org/tunes/1307
" Lucy Farr’s "
January 8th 2003 by Bannerman
~ from ceolachan’s comments
X:1
T:7 Steps
K: D Major
|: (3ABc |
d2. d2 d2. d2 | c>de>f d2. A2. | f2. f2 f2. f2 | e>fg>f e2. e2 |
f>ga>f d2 d2 | e>fg>f e2 e2 | e>fe>d c>AB>c | d>ef>g a2. a>f |
g>ab>g e2 e2 | f>g (3agf d2 d2 | e>fe>d c>ba>g | f2 d2 d2. :|

Posted by .

Oh, and I have that Paddy Cronin one. I’m pretty sure it’s the tune I’m looking for, but I thought I would listen to similar ones.

An Comhra Donn

The myspace linked in the "The Xi’An Si" thread made me remind it.

Did it start B4 A2 (3ABc | dBAG FEDE | ?
If so, then I know the tune, but I’m afraid I don’t know the name either… (either way, does anyone know the name of that tune?)

Are you looking for "The Happy Hornpipe"? Brilliant tune that sounds happy (as opposed to cute) and has that shape of ending but was taught to me in A not D by Siobhan Peoples last year at WCSS. If you think that might be the culprit then I can probably work up the ABC for you.

sbhikes i see you have ‘The Hunt’ and ‘The Rights of Man’ on your tunelist, but for this, why don’t you write one _ i did