Suggestions please…

Suggestions please…

I would like to give my Mother a gift in the last days of her life. At this time there are no gifts that I could give that would be any where near as meaningful as my own time. I have been thinking that one of the best and most meaningful gifts, could be to sing some songs, and read some prayers and poems. My Mother has been moved to a hospital, and has very little energy to maintain her attention for long periods now, so I thought a few songs and prayers could be a way to give her some pleasure in what is a painful and uncomfortable time.

At the moment I have a number in mind including,

Garten Mother’s Lullaby
Frances of Assissi’s Canticle of the Sun
The Lord’s my shepherd.

and so I’m asking for suggestions of songs, prayers and maybe some hymns that she might enjoy, and that I can learn or find. Maybe you know of a youtube link etc where I can learn a song, or a book with a nice poem in it.

I appreciate all your suggestions.
Thank you.

Re: Suggestions please…

How old is your mum? Some songs from her youth might please her.

It’s difficult to know, but something by John McCormack might be good.

Sorry to hear about your mother. Best wishes.

Your presence might be all that is required.
If she has little energy to maintain attention, perhaps you should not try to overload her with things that you think, in your health and fitness, would be good for her.
People need less as they come to the end of their lives. Their family is enough.

Hi N,
What a difficult time for you. I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she is comfortable. You have some lovely thoughts there and I’m sure both your presence and your music and poems will bring her a lot of comfort.

Here are a couple of suggestions from me:
"The Pearl" lovely air by Phil Cunningham - I will send you an mp3
"Touch of the Master’s Hand" http://gbgm-umc.org/DISC/poems/mastershand.stm

Take care
K

If you write perhaps an original composition for her or a poem would be lovely.

All the best,

Mary

I’m sorry to hear this, Brown Creeper. It’s something we will all go through as our parents age. In my Dad’s final hours, he was comforted knowing that Mom and all his kids were at his bedside. The memory of that final peace will go a long way to helping you cope in the days and weeks after your Mom passes.

So sorry - thinking of you and your mum.

I just went through this with my father. I had my kids help, but we sang the songs that he used to sing to us when we were kids. Dad actually remembered one and with great effort told us back the words. My youngest also did a recitation and both boys filled his colorless room with paintings.

My deepest sympathies.

Posted by .

Sorry to hear your news, we lost my wife’s brother a few years ago, this song was in my mind as soon as i read your post.

In Christ Alone - Stuart Townend/Keith Getty

I know it from a CD by Margaret Becker, Marie Brennan & Joanne Hogg called New Irish Hymns

Here is a link to a version which includes lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLy8ksqGf9w

Best wishes Steve