Leahy Music Camp 2009!!!

Leahy Music Camp 2009!!!

Hello there,
Just checking to see if anyone on here is planning on attending Leahy Camp 2009! I am…for my 3rd year and am VERY excited. I was going to ask if anyone here was still thinking about it and had and questions, but I am pretty sure it is full. I was talkind to Donnell just the other day[i live 5min. from him] and he said that he thought Maureen said it was all filled up. They have a waiting list so you can get in if there are any cancelations.[sp?] Anyhoo, God Bless and I would love to hear from you.!!!!!
Always,
Christine

Re: Leahy Music Camp 2009!!!

eh…what’s the Leahy camp and where is it??

Posted by .

Stealth marketing, anyone? : )

The Leahys are a large family of fiddlers and stepdancers here in Southern Ontario. They have a family band. You see them all the time on the country music TV station. They live on a farm. They play southern Ontario competition style fiddle music.

Do any accordion players (button or piano) show up for their camp, or is it pretty much all fiddlers?

My family has seen them twice and they are great fun!

Posted by .

Hi - I’m returning for my second year. The classes were mainly fiddle, piano, dance. Last year, there were mostly fiddlers, but there were lots of piano players and about 10 step dancers.

They love having other instruments at the after-class sessions, though. And I believe melody players are allowed in the fiddle classes that teach tunes and ornamentation (but not sure). I met a viola player who attended fiddle classes.

I was there for the dancing, and it took about a week for my feet to recover from the intense classes. Loved it!

Hello All,
So Leahy Music Camp is as 4 day camp @ Viamede Resort on Stony Lake. Each day is filled with classes, symposiums[sp?], electives,free time[including free acess to the pool,hydro bikes, bikes, canoes,kyaks,ect….] and an evening activity…being bonfire, square dance and grand jam. No, they don’t teach accordion. But there are always other instruments being brought to jam out with. I play the piano acc. and am planning to bring it. There are 2 other girls I know that play it and planning to take theres. Last year one of the guest instuctors brought his guitar and had a class. Although I do not play so I don’t know how it went. Matt MacIssac was a guest instructor as well last year and although he did not have any set piping classes, people were just casually asking him to give them a 5 min. lessons….[or whatever] and he was willing. So yes the main classes were fiddle…but they also had dance, and piano classes all day for those who do not play the fiddle. You actually have to give them your intruments before hand because on the opening night they give you a sheet with all your classes as well there times. I personally think it is well worth going to, even if you don’t play the fiddle. You can check out there site for MORE info. @ well…i’m not 100% sure on the exact name but if you type ‘Leahy music ’ or somthin like that you should find it. Also, Viamede has a site if you want to take a peek at the place. Hope this info helps
Christine

haha hey missie, I was about to start a post like tis, but then I noticed someone already had, and it was you!!

I’m going for my fourth year, I was there from the very first, and it is soooooooo incredibly AWESOME I wouldn’t miss it for the world!!!

"Stealth marketing, anyone? : )" No!!!!!!! Just honest joy at being one of the few able to attend Leahy Camp, and curious to know who else is going, besides it fills up past capacity every year, so even if you tried to get in you couldn’t. So there :P!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! I know it’s been ten years since this was an active thread, but…why not?
Has anybody been to Leahy Music Camp in the past few years? If so, could I ask you a few questions?
First of all…are all the Leahy siblings present for camp? I notice that only a few of them are instructors. If not, that’s….extremely disappointing. (And what’s the excuse?) I never see any picture so Donnell and Natalie at camp…if they aren’t there, that’s SAD. And for Pete’s sake, DONNELL needs to be at Leahy Music Camp!
Second of all, if any of y’all have taken beginner/intermediate fiddle classes, I’d love to hear about your experiences. Or if you took step dancing classes!
I’d love to hear from anyone who’s been period, but especially those who’ve been the past couple of years. I know a lot has probably changed since the above conversation was taking place.
I’m wanting to go pretty soon, so I was wanting to hear from Leahy music camp-ers.
Thanks guys!