Online session on youtube (The Butterfly)

Re: Online session on youtube (The Butterfly)

Bloody awful

Posted .

Well done, i thought something like that would never work due to lag and delay, but you pulled it off really well considering.

The experience of playing in the same room as someone can never be beaten, but thats just my opinion. Im sure some people won’t like it here, but there are people who live in areas where they don’t get a chance to play in sessions regularly, and this this could be a wonderful resource for them.

Trust me, if we had the chance, we would go to sessions. This is not supposed to be a "look this is just as good as a regular session" demonstration, because it is obviously not. The people playing in this video are all self taught as far as I know, mainly over the internet, and don´t have much experience playing with others. This is a demonstration, to prove that sessions can happen online for those with an interest.

That fair enough of course! I hope you didn’t misunderstand me, I do really like the idea, and I understand completely what you’ve (succesfully) demonstrated!

I think what you’ve successfully demonstrated is the need to get together for real. If you say you can’t, then this is the best you’ll ever get. If you want to get better, then less of the "if we had the chance, we would go to sessions" excuses. Move house, move continent, what ever it takes.

Posted .

My God! There’s no banjo player! You remembered to invite the bodhran player but left out the banjo….insult upon insult!

Beanstalk: I understood you just fine, there was nothing wrong with your first comment.

llig leahcim: I have actually found a fiddle/guitar player, and we had a two man session not too long ago. I know what you mean, after having played with someone IRL. Nothing beats it for sure, and one will improve a lot faster than by playing alone. You can however get quite far on your own, because of todays technology. By playing along with CDs etc.

As for "just moving"; It´s not as simple as you make it sound. If I were interested in a professional carrier as a IT musician, I would of course do whatever necessary. It is however a hobby, and moving to a different country is not something you just do, especially not as a poor engineering student, as I am. But I reckon it is possible non the less.

The shortcut must be to get other people to play ITM in the local area, which should be possible. It´s not dangerous to search for people either, as I recently realized.

Appreciate the feedback : )

Thanks for sharing that ~ good kick! It is what it is, a bit of fun, which in this case does no harm and likely did some good… 8-)

Wow, the web is the land of the low whistle, where their herds run wild and free.

Hey llig,

I think what discussions on web forums such as this successfully demonstrate is the need to get together for real. Face to face over coffee/beer with our mates is the only way to go. Discussion forums like this one are entirely artificial and cannot really be considered naything more than a poor synthetic substitute for real life conversation and interaction.

If only we had mates, eh ?

;-)

- chris

Well put, Chris.

I actually wrote something very similar in my previous post, but deleted it before I posted it, fearing all hell would break lose : )

Glad someone had the courage to open the gates of hell after all :P

I agree. I’m at work and I’d rather not be. And soon I won’t be.

Posted .

Hey llig if you are at work shouldn’t you be WORKING ? Fter all thats what you are paid for.

He is, he probably gets paid for writing on this website.

Well I’m at work also, stuck here for a good while yet.

It’s all fine and well getting together in the flesh for sharing info, but the access to such a wide circle of people/information via the interweb is truly startling.

Last month I had a tune over the phone with my girl friend as I was desperately seeking a tune and had no luck with online sources or my multi thousands of sets on itunes, actually quite good but at £2.00 a min expensive. Her on the fiddle & me playing along on the mandolin, shame it was only me that got both instruments, quite cool but hard on the neck.

On line session, na the tussle of the real thing is for me but if you’ve got no option it’s better than nowt. If I could get wired to some kind of human digital interface and go virtual I’m sorry to admit it wouldn’t be music I’d be playing with my GF (and everyone else’s).

Very clever! I did a thing like this recently, audio only.

Quit hating on people surfing the internet at work! Don’t be jealous! ;-)

This is really a bunch of people playing along to a single recording, and then editing it all together, right?

The editing was done nicely, BTW. But as llig points out, the music suffers because the players aren’t actually playing together, and aren’t even playing at the same time (which would be impossible over the internet anyway).

So it’s a clever montage, but it does point out why playing together is better, musically speaking, because people can react in real-time and find the "groove", which makes the music much tighter.

And SWFL, get back to work, ya slacker!

Abraxas:

Thank you for sharing that. It looks like a very innovative concept.

llig leahcim:

I didn’t see where anyone was proposing this as a replacement for actually doing a real session at a real pub with real people.

The same can be said about e-mails. But if you do not have the option of meeting with a friend or family member in real life, e-mail is a successful substitute.

So by your rationale are telephones and e-mail "bloody awful"?

And there is something that needs credit for meeting people in other countries. I consider that a good experience.

Sorry missed something there - should show ‘Stand by me’ Ceol’s post of May 10th

Yeah, it’s cute. No, it’s not a session. No, there’s nothing at all wrong with it, and no, I don’t want to hear it again.
I think that about covers it.
Oh - and why the hell is the Butterfly always the tune they pick on? It’s a nice enough tune, but it would be a lot nicer if you didn’t hear it every time somebody pulled out their low whistle…

Nice, and great experiment too. No need to compare it to a real session, obviously, but still really cool.

The problem with this site (like most forums) is that there are so many people who can’t bare to choke up a few nice words when their deserved. My mom’s old words of wisdom, "if you don’t have anything nice to say, then shut the feck up" comes to mind.

Nice job with this Abraxas.
Cheers

Posted by .

criticism doesn’t have to be nice, whatever, that means.
It would be a tad boring if we all thought and said the same

You are absolutely right, gedpipers, and I’m not saying that by any means. I’m just saying that the unnecessary and infantile need to be a dickhead shouldn’t surface here, especially when someone is baring their soul with their music.

Posted by .