Can you indicate a slide in abc?

Can you indicate a slide in abc?

I mean the technique, not M:12/8 or R: Slide. Can’t seem to find it in any of the online primers. Thanks.

Re: Can you indicate a slide in abc?

What technique are you aiming at?

If it’s bowing, then this from the Steve Mansfield tutorial is helpful:

‘The minus sign - should be used to tie two notes of equal pitch, whilst the round brackets () join two or more notes which are to be slurred, or played legato.

Two notes can be tied together with a minus sign - . This can be applied both within a bar and across bar lines, eg

|DEF-|FGA|

and

|DEF-FGA|

are both correct. The tie marking should be placed immediately after a note, but can be followed by a space.

To slur a group of notes or join them together as a phrase , use round brackets ( ) to enclose the grouped notes, eg

(DEF|GAB) ‘.

I think fid is talking about glissando, not slurring(?)

I assume what fidkid is referring to is a glissando, indicated by joining two notes with a zigzag line (or portamento*, shown by joining notes with a straight line), a slur or a tie.

I searched through Steve Mansfield’s ABC Tutorial page http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm and couldn’t find any reference to glissando. A Google search brought up this page http://abcp.sourceforge.net/abcpsyn.html which has several codings for glissando, but I tried them out in the Tune-o-Tron at http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html and it just interpreted them as an extra note (they all involve the letter g). I think these codings are intended for a particular piece of software.

There almost certainly is a way of writing a glissando in ABC, it’s just that there’s not much call for it, so it’s not widely known.

*Technically, glissando is a slide by discrete steps, as obtained by running a finger up or down a keyboard or fretboard. Portamento is a continuous glide between notes, as obtained on a fiddle by sliding up or down the fingerboard, or on the flute/whistle/pipes, by opening or closing a hole gradually (or rolling the flute embouchure towards or away from the mouth).

Are slides used much in this music? I know we use it in bluesy, old-time kind of stuff. I’ve seen it marked by a sign resembling a comma, but longer, preceding a note. (not abc)

I guess what I’m looking for is notation for portamento, the left hand technique (I play fiddle, and I’m right handed) of leading into a note by sliding up to it. I think it’s a little different than slurring in that the starting point is indeterminate. In standard notation and tab it’s often notated with an angled line / up to the note. I say upward slide (sliding down is of course posssible) because that’s what’s most commonly encountered in this music.

I’m open to having my conceptions corrected.

It’s a little different than slurring between two distinct notes, I should have written.

OK OK, who’s in here notating ornaments? Tsk tsk tsk. (/sarcasm)

Also, yes, it’s not slurring, slurring is the connecting of multiple notes together with a single bow stroke, or phrase. Glissando is what you’re looking for.

wyogal is spot on, it’s dangerous in the hands of those whose ears naturally glide (or glissando? hardee har har) towards American Old Timey. Real easy to sound twangy and not diddley with them there glissandos, y’all.

+slide+ works in anything that supports ABC 2.0 (e.g., the converter on Concertina.net).

Offhand, I don’t see anything to do a glissando, although both +trill+ and +arpeggio+ do the zigzag lines. You could do the slide and add a "gliss" notation, I suppose.

It’s actually fairly common in Irish fiddle music. Not usually a long slide, it’s just a short attack up to a note.

I enjoy taking tunes apart and notating them. Makes me actually think about them and analyze them with a different part of my brain. I do realize that any transcription is just a snapshot of a particular performance. I try to never play a tune the same way twice.

I use it all the time, fidkid!

There’s many ways to do it, however, which is my point.

For this music, we want to do it like you’re saying.

The thing to be careful of when using it is what I’m saying above. One of those finer points.

on or before the beat?

It depends, of course, but generally just before.

"on or before the beat?"

Both. You’ll hear fiddlers in the North Connaught (Sligo, Leitrim etc.) style playing a short slide up to the note from before the beat, landing on the note *on* the beat. Pipers often use a longer slide, starting on the beat and sliding slowly up to the note - most commonly from E to F# and B to C#. This is echoed in some fiddle styles, especially in Clare, as well as by flute and whistle players.

Slides are common in slow airs, on all instruments that are capable of them (and can be emulated, after a fashion, with a stepwise glissando or single grace note, on fretted and free reed instruments), sometimes downwards as well as upwards.

So, yes, slides are used extensively in Irish Traditional Music. But they do not generally span more than a whole tone in pitch - you don’t hear great octave sweeps a la Rhapsody in Blue

Patrick Kelly’s playing…good examples.

But to my original question: thanks, srt19170. That’s the ticket.

ABCMus2.0 uses the symbol J (uppercase) to indicate a slide up to a note.
How to do a slide (on the fiddle) from the open E to the F-nat? You don’t actually need to slide the finger up the F-nat (which is a little difficult in that confined space); instead, lightly touch the F-nat and increase the finger pressure as you play the note. You’ll hear a slide coming up to the F-nat from somewhere between it and the open E.

{A/-} B

It may be worth pointing out that if an ABC application is able indicate a slide up to a note (as ABCMus2 does) it does not necessarily mean that there is software to play that slide as a sound. I’ve tested ABCMus2’s slide feature ("J") and it does not sound; it’s just there for notational convenience.

Thanks for the answer srt19170.
You can see it, +slide+ , in the ABC standard 2.
There is probably a way to apply a user defined decoration for a squiggly line (on an angle) between 2 notes. I like the arced line.

http://abc.sourceforge.net/standard/abc2-draft.html

The ABC Music standard 2.0 (draft IV, 14/8/2003)
Irwin Oppenheim
4.14. Decorations
http://abc.sourceforge.net/standard/abc2-draft.html#Decorations

Here are 2 manuals providing in depth information regarding ABC notation;
Guido Gonzato’s " The ABC Plus Project"
http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/
There is a download link for his manual;
"Making Music with ABC Plus"

Hudson Lacerda
http://br.geocities.com/hfmlacerda/
abcm2ps - User-Defined Decorations How-To (decomanual-en.pdf)

Online converters, such as concertina.net, use abcm2ps in order to produce a manuscript. There are other command line software, such as ABCp.
http://abcp.sourceforge.net/

Posted by .

In abcm2ps (as documented in Guido Gonzato’s fine document) you can use !slide! before the note for a slide "up and in". (ABC 2.0 would change the ! to a +, hence +slide+ as posted by srt9170.)

I’ve also been able to make added decorations (using the techniques Guido documents) for a down-and in slide, and slides leaving notes, both used in some of the music I notate (and play, on fiddle).

Then it got more complicated: I found I also needed variants for notes in chords and notes with accidentals, both of which unfortunately change the graphic starting points for decorations. It would be nice if the other flavors were added to the standard — and/or abcm2ps.

Posted by .