Not taken for granted ~ The Session Dot Org

Not taken for granted ~ The Session Dot Org

I stumbled into this site by accident, at a time when I came close to losing the thing most precious to me, my wife, to illness. While she was in hospital I started back into chasing up tune histories and trying to widen my own perspectives on all this, beyond the many blessings I’ve had of sharing time with talented others, characters, generous folk, sharing the joys and the sorrows of traditional music and its histories, the mechanics and the soul of it. As I was transcribing some tunes from old recordings I went online and found this weirdly coloured realm, the yeller board. Hmmmm? 😏 I lurked for awhile, and eventually I signed up. I decided it might be one avenue where I could pass on some of what had been shared freely with me, but with reservations, realizing the imperfections of anything filtering through this curiously wired brain, or via this medium. I do try to be as just as I can, at least manageable if I’ve had my beauty sleep and am in fair form. Apologies when I’ve not and have let fly, in whatever form. But this site helped me reconnect some of the dots when all around me I was feeling like I was losing it, buried in worry. When someone this close to your heart is in threat of losing their life, my dear wife ~ it’s so damned hard, it was awful and I was a mess, and working hard not to let my wife see that, to be strong for her. Music helped to balance me, and giving something back, however small or imperfect, helped with that grounding. This website offered me something to help steady my balance. Part of that grounding, in this case the situation, was to increase my awareness of what is around me, and to strive not to take anything for granted.

So I’m starting this thread to say thanks, and to hopefully hear from others what benefits they might glean from this site, something other than just to bitch and moan, though I realize that too has its benefits. Who knows how long this website will be here, or how long Jeremy our webmaster will continue to put out time and effort for it, or put up with some of our childishness and devilments? I don’t. I do try now and then to include some kind of nod of appreciation or a ‘thank you’ of some sort when I occassionally write the man. This thread is taking it public. I have some idea of what it is to build a website, if dated, and to maintain one, if only for a short while and for someone else. But that limited experience and understanding, with others, is part of my appreciation of Jeremy’s efforts. That appreciation includes this tool he’s provided to us all ~ and the community he has helped to bring together and maintain. He has undoubtedly suffered too ~ our squabbles and our bad moods, and the percentage of nut cases any community tends to draw in, and the many characters, inclinations and moods…

Of the time I’ve spend here there are less than one hand’s fingers worth of folk that have really been nasty to me, and I don’t make that determination until my wife percieves it similarly. Sometimes we can be too close to a thing to be reasonable, and there’s no doubting my passion for traditions ~ ‘tradition’ in a generally open way, not pickled, something communal and not egomaniacal, something well rooted and grounded… That connection and passion, much of it built through association with passionate others, can sometimes get in the way of my realizing a wind-up or my proper place in the butt of a joke. But sometimes, unfortunately, the nastiness is real. But it is rare here, for my time here anyway, from my experience of this website and its members and Jeremy. The generosity and help of others on this board, and towards others, is brilliant, has me in goose bumps and all soft thinking about it. Some of you won’t like this, but you really are, in general, a lovely bunch, sweethearts, and I appreciate you. I have had many, many more laughs and insights than pain or slam downs. But you know pain, our human nature is that we are generally weak and at our lowest susceptible to blowing uncomfortable things and pain all out of proportion, and not seeing it in the context of time and the better experiences we’ve had. When you’re hurting it is hard to think of anything else. And yes, there have been some really nasty moments. That is not determined by intention but by the result. There have been those rare moments here where I felt so low I just never wanted to see this sight or think about it again, or even where Jeremy had me in a twist over something. A few of those I still haven’t managed to forget, but ~ I do forgive.

Thank you Jeremy, whatever disagreements we’ve ever had, including getting my hand slapped, or having things go "POOF!" and disappear into the digital ether, including some valued few members who lost their patience and are now MIA, and who I still correspond with now and then, whatever else may have happened that was rough, thanks Jeremy for designing this website and maintaining it. So it’s not perfect, what is where our rough nature is involved, especially when considering how many folks drop in and out of here, from all over this planet, including the shysters and the mentally and emotionally challenged. 🙁 Thank you for giving me this additional anchor and harbour in a storm, this website, at a time when my life was in shreds, when my wife was so very ill and I was so afraid. Thank you for helping me to get back into gear here, in my heart, where music is a constant. Thank you for your patience with my screwed up transcriptions as I actively and passionately relearned ABC notation in the new fangled computer way, the standardized, and I’m not generally fond of standardization, but can accept it where it has value, such as improving communication. Thank you for letting me mostly be who I am, whatever problems that caused you or others, and whatever clumsiness stumbled out onto this realm of yours, the yeller board. Thanks also to the patience and help of others who frequent here…

Yes, this thanks is wider than Jeremy, it is to the majority of the characters that stumble in here now and then, sometimes in the middle of the night after a session and not necessarily fully conscious, sometimes not in the best of humour, and rudeness is not a stranger here either. Thanks for your greater patience, guidance and generosity, your friendship…

I’m enjoying the sun today, bright and hot, I’m savouring a nice drink, and I’m writing a friend, you lot, minus less than one hand’s fingers worth… 😉

We just had our house increased in value with a package that arrived in the post here, from a friend made through this site. It is music, of course, something to increase my appreciation and bring more smiles and good feelings, the best medicine, something valued very highly in this house. It isn’t the first time we’ve been so blessed. Amongst the lot of you that have been patient with me are some that can sometimes do a better take than I on being a miserable old git, and besides admitting it myself I’m not going to offer a list of names, that would be too much work 😎 ~ but, despite moods and tantrums the majority of you have been welcome in my life, and are considered a blessing, as has this site that brings us together now and then.

Here’s hoping others might find something supportive to say about their ‘good’ experiences here… Why should we wait for a funeral to express appreciation and give our regards? Set your moans aside for a moment and instead of roasting Jeremy and this website show at least a little nod of appreciation, eh? That’s not asking too much is it? Mind you, I expect the usual mix… 😀

Go raibh mile ma’agat / many thanks to Jeremy and you lot, from this friend in the digital quagmire…

~ wishing you and yours and your music too, and Jeremy and this site, good health ~ ‘c’

\V/n ~ live long and prosper ~ 😎

Re: Not taken for granted ~ The Session Dot Org

Thanks for asking Greg ~ the wife is back to her ornery ol’ self and keeps me on my toes, and like my closest friends makes me a better person by her association and love. I do my damnedest to regularly let her know how glad I am to have her in my life.

With the recent gift of music that arrived in the post today I just had to express my general appreciation for this site, the man that built it and maintains it ~ and the folks that frequent it…

put your money where your mouth is, make a donation thru paypal

http://tinyurl.com/donate-to-session-dot-org

I’d just cut and pasted the previous blindly, and then Floss mentioned an option, Tiny URL, I gave it a try and got a more reasonable reduction. I have no idea how long it will last. That Paypal URL is mad…

TinyURL say on their website that a tiny URL will not break in email postings and never expires.

Thanks hound dog. This is my first time giving it a try. I had pretty been avoiding anything to do with TinyURL after hearing of problems with spyware. It also seems a bit odd that they want to access your clipboard… I don’t usually have much to do with maddeningly long URLs so I guess no worries? 😏

The donations link doesn’t work, but there’s no need to make it as all you need to do is suggest ‘eyes right’.

Posted by .

True ~ upper right ~ [ MAKE A DONATION ]

I wish I’d had the sense to check that URL first…

Funny, I’ve just tested the short version again and it is still working… 😏 ~ from this end anyway… I suspect that maybe that is what they want access to the clipboard for, meaning that Tiny URL may have only made the short link to the longer link for my computer? I’ll have to visit that site and do some reading. Sorry if it is not working for anyone else…

Here’s hoping this thread will now gather some other praise for this site, or a little bit of history of positive experiences? But I’ve no doubt Jeremy will also appreciated monetary support too…

Now it’s not working for me either… Paypal seems to have stepped in to block the link…

how about a snail mail address for donations? (the old-fashioned way)

The link on the page here continues to be good, but for those that might be PayPal phobic, and I’m not a great fan of them, a snail mail option would be great…

I wrote a nice post and then it got eaten. :(

Anyway, the shortened version of what I wrote…..

That was a lovely post, ceol. I first started posting here when I began playing Irish music. You can learn a lot about Irish music via this site. Even better, I have made some good friends through meeting fellow session.orgers at sessions. The connections made through this website are invaluable. Thank you, Jeremy.

Hi all,

This is a great thread Ceol, and a grand initiative.

I might know some of you in person, but I’ve never asked at sessions.

Thank you indeed Jeremy, for the site and your patience when early on I asked stupid questions.

This place is perhaps my first look-up reference when I need to seek out and destroy a tune ;-P.

All the information and counsel generously offerred here is a ressource that would certainly "crever les yeux" (-I really don’t know how to translate that) by it’s absence if it ceased to exist.

Thank you

Loïc

snail mail option: you can use http://www.whois.net/ to look up JK’s address - probably best to email and make sure it’s current and that he doesn’t mind

The collected works of c. , dow, & cpt alone are worth the price of admission. Not to mention the other windb … fine writers. Tolstoy would be envious of such a prolific work.
Thank you Mr.Keith! http://adactio.com/journal/1556

celoachan, thank your wife for everything.
You are one of the people here who revels in youthfulness. Even in it’s transient nature.

The Dhow
https://thesession.org/tunes/7094
Cheers all!

Posted by .

I echo c’s thanks and thank ‘c’ himself for being a good friend. I very rarely get the chance to check this website these days as I am so busy, but today I did, and this was the 1st thread I read.

I have not been around for about a year because a lot has happened in my life in that time. I also haven’t been playing all that much, apart from when I’ve been asked to stand in for someone to run the session here in Sydney. I was back in the UK for a few months, and promised to catch up with a few session.orgers, but it didn’t happen and I apologise to those people. I became a hermit and did nothing but work for many months. Thanks to my hard work I managed to finish off my PhD, but it left me totally drained. I came back to Australia jobless, homeless and literally penniless. I’ve been spending time trying to pull myself together and create a new life for myself by making new friends, doing training courses, networking etc. My music has taken a back seat, and therefore my social life has too, since tunes players make up such a big part of my social network. So I’d like to get back into playing regularly when I settle down, and I’d also like to come back here to the sesh and continue to contribute.

This website has helped me through some difficult times too. It helped distract me from doing my PhD, which took me 7 years when it should only have taken 3! lol. Well, I had fun 🙂

Just to say that its the members of his site that make it worthwhile visiting. One of the few rocks of reliability C, is you.

Golly I just came back from fuelling up ready to head out to the local folk festival next weekend … yay! I’m going to be properly prepared this time (the dogs have even had their vaccinations this year ready and booked into kennels) … and reading your post "c" brightened up this dreary day … I mean the mist is dripping down the ranges and its like we’re at the coast instead of in the middle of a continent surrounded by deserts … really cold and grey … hoping it will fine up in time for the festival … and there is you talking about being in sunshine in Wales. Seems all topsy turvy … but still. Its nice to have such a soggy sky sometimes … makes for appreciation of the usual.

I haven’t been about contributing to this site much for a while now, but I look in pretty well every day not reading many posts (thankfully missing or skipping some of the negative stuff that occasionally finds its way onto the yellaboard).

I would like to add my thanks to Jeremy for building this site and making it available … even to one so far out of it as me. It is certainly not taken for granted by this old scraper in the bush … thesession.org has always been there when turned to for help, advice and friendship and I second lonannas that you "c" have been one of the reliable rocks who have come to the aide of the party in times of distortion, disorientation, distress and even desperation.

Congratulations Dow on finishing the PhD … that is awesome … better late than never, hey! … and to have had fun along the way … great stuff!

So … thank you Jeremy and thank you "c" and the others who have been friendly and accommodating of someone who is soooo out of it, but wishes she weren’t. You have brightened up this dreary afternoon … but now I must get packing ready for next weekend … yahooooo!

Anyone from thesession.org going to be there too?

Well, as we step out into the sun again, here in Lancashire, though we might fly down to the relatives in Cymru/Wales, I’m beaming ~ some lovely comments, and especially to hear from dear old Dow, HALLELUJAH!!! And the thesis is done. I’m smiling so broadly my face might crack… And CD is off to a fest, play some tunes for me, or think of me when you do.

Dow, you owe me a long overdo post, and I won’t mind if it is stream of consciousness and one endless rambling paragraph, it’s the least I have coming to me for my rambling ways with words and feet…

The rest of my day in this sun will be a happy one… BZZZZ!! I’ve just finished a double, no, quadruple espresso, so it is good this buzz is one with a smile… 🙂

Well said Mr C and others
I for one don’t take the Session.org for granted and appreciate the advice, information, and opinions given . That’s not to say I agree with all of them but I recognise them as valid points of view.
And yes sometimes there is an invasion of the legion of the followers of Onan but hey it’s the net, home of the weird.
I look forward to meeting those of you I haven’t met yet .( I dream of playing the Bodhran with Llig for example 😉 one day Michael)

I might even get to meet Jeremy one day……… and if so the pints are on me . Wish I knew what he looked like.

Right break over …lets get back to the squabbling 😉

A great post, C. I, for one, need to be reminded from time to time that thanks are due - which only goes to show to what extent this site has become a part of my life. I take for granted the fact that I have an up-to-date source of trad-related news, wisdom of experienced players and an opportunity to share my own knowledge (much of which I have learned from reading posts on this site in the first place) and experience, such as it is, with those willing to learn. Whilst, admittedly, I have spent many idle hours reading this site (and making idle, inconsequential comments), that might have been better spent playing, practising or listening, I can also honestly say that I have learned things here which have made me and continue to make me a better musician. I hope, over the 7 or so years I’ve been visiting the site, I’ve written the odd word or two that has made some sense or been helpful or interesting to someone.

Thanks, Jeremy - and the many contributors.

p.s. C. - If you’re passing near Llanidloes on your Cambrian travels, drop into Mouse Music. You don’t have to buy anything (although I recommend the irresistibly tasty musical lollipops) or even reveal your identity.

musical lollipops ! shades of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Er are they in D ?

C. you are right. It’s been a lot of fun over the years and, like the right to vote, should never be taken for granted. I don’t get here like I used to, but…….

Dow! I am puzzled by your reference to "new" friends as you never had any in the first place!

I am delighted you have now finished your PhD as you will now be able to charge more for gigs (well any that involve Okinawan dialect traditional songs any way). I forgive you for not dropping in when you were here last.

Ceolachan,

Thanks for posting this. Jeremy deserves all the best for this site. It’s been s source of information and inspiration for me.
I’ve been here a long time (I’m number 53) and it amazes me
how it’s grown. Through all that Jeremy has kept it up to date and the greatest site on the web. So, thanks for the wonderful site Jeremy and you too Ceolachan for giving me the wake up call do say thanks.

Mary

Here’s a health the man and the company that he has engendered. Good, bad, indifferent. We would be poorer without the oul’ yeller bor’
God save you Jeremy!

‘Twas October ‘07 when someone put a post up here "has anyone got a good tune or two for a funeral?" sort of thing.
I posted the three tunes we used at my wife’s funeral not a week before. I thought it fair enough to share my grief momentarily on the yella board and move on.
I was deeply touched by a whole slew of emails delivered via Jeremy’s back passage or whatever it’s called. It was like family type intimacy from people I only know from this site. Champion of them all was Ceolachan, a whole page as I recall of genuine compassion and caring/sharing thoughts.
Now I know where you were coming from but still don’t know how to pronounce "Ceolachan"
To quote a famous Aussie boxer just after his last fight "I love youse all"

I’m always tempted to say it in the broadest strine as "Cola Can" 🙂 Know it’s wrong…but …

Ceolachan, that’s something very brave to reveal so much of your personal life on a public website. It really moved me and I want to add my thanks to you, Jeremy & all the others.

I guess here is where the good guys hang out. Gets exciting when the outlaws show up though. Thanks guys. Thanks Jeremy.

Seconded! Group e-hug! [sniff sniff] Love you guys, man.

"musical lollipops …. are they in D ?"

I must confess, I haven’t actually tried one. Next time a parent comes in for a 1/4-size guitar and succumbs to their child’s relentless nagging, I’ll have to ask them (the child*) to blow a note before they leave the shop. They have no fingerholes, so only tunes using the harmonic series for a closed pipe would be possible.

I’m all with "c"… I met quite wonderful people through the mustard board… some of which I’ll be meeting in the flesh this summer, after a lot of exchanges, mails, music swapping….
hope it’ll last a big while ! makes things so much easier ! 30 years ago, whehn i started playing trad music, it was really hard to get in touch with others with the same passion…
Many thanks !

Thanks, ceolachan for this and many other thoughts offered here. Congrats to you, Dr. Dow, what an achievement. Brains are a gift, but your hard-work speaks to character. I’ve made many friends here on the Mustard Board, some whom I’ve met, some whom I’ve yet to meet. And thanks, most of all, to you Jeremy. Cheers.

Apart from some renegade posters-self included.. This site is one of the best things that happened to Irish Music..It is in fitting and pays tribute to what has come before. Yet it mechanisms, enable the next generation of musicians to drive the tradition forward..Long may it function..

i’m with ye on this one …

Yeah. It is good.
It is simple.
It works.
It is a vast treasure trove of music.
And most importantly it lets us share ….music and anything else.

This type of jeremy stroking thread pops up every few months, I’ve
noticed. He deserves it, but let’s not make these too frequent, eh?

Glad to hear Dow’s explanation — I got to play with him in sessions a
few times at the ‘Nash’ in April so I know he didn’t get hit by a bus 🙂

It does pop up every so often and with good reason.

Have to give a stroke to the ‘Webmaster’ regularly, credit where credit is due. A very nice gathering place.

Great resource. while i probably still play the Music like c**p…It’s alot better than when I started here. Without it I might have quit and Herself would not have had the blessing of Button Box play at 5 each morning.

I suppose She hasn’t weighed in on this post yet 😉

Onward and Upward

I try not to take this web site for "granite" because that would make for a rocky relationship (if you will pardon the igneous intrusion).

Sssswat!

Thank you Bob himself.
I have been trying to resist the temptation to post my comment since Ceolachan made his original post on May 30th but I finally had to give in to temptation.
I do appreciate this web site as much as Ceolachan and the other people who have contributed comments on this discussion thread.

Tune: "A March For Giving Thanks"

https://thesession.org/tunes/9122

I must have missed all those discussions giving praise, or most of them anyway. Something moved me on the day, news that a very dear friend, family, recieved a whack to his passport from the grim reaper ~ terminal cancer. Well, we’ve seen a few depart at that terminal, and I just felt I needed to give thanks, including here, and bursting with thanks that this particular friend had been a long association and had helped to make me better by that time shared, and the sharing of music and dance and dreams. So I’ve been spreading the love rising from those memories… 😎

Thanks Jeremy, for the patience and time…