Enda Scahill Tutor What do You Think? Any Good ?

Enda Scahill Tutor What do You Think? Any Good ?

Mixed feelings from me. Best banjo tutor available but does it go far enough? Will there be a Vol 2 Enda?

Posted by .

Re: Enda Scahill Tutor What do You Think? Any Good ?

And you play what eejitinuo?

Posted by .

Hey, i didnt post eejitinuo. i posted ccccuuuuunnnninuo

Posted by .

With a t

Posted by .

Lighten up will ya.

Not seen the tutor, but as one of the best banjo players around it must be excellent. I know that he has thought a lot about his playing and about technique in particular, which is not always the case with a lot of players.

As someone who has been diligently plucking away for years I still found much of the material presented by Enda to be new to me and useful. Particulary his "plucking rules." I have found that appling these rules does indeed improove my technique.

I suppose there are some ot there who were expecting or would like to have seen a tome the likes of Grey Larsens "Essential Guide," replete with pages of excercises and detailed discussion about every concievable detail involving the instrument. I do agree there is still ground he could have covered for more advanced players. (For example, playing up the neck, which I do a lot, isn’t discussed at all.) Whether that topic or any others really need expanding upon is debatable since anyone who masters the stuff he does present, which is really the nuts and bolts of it, is going to sound pretty terrific.

All in all though it’s the best tutor out there and reasonably priced too.

The CD’s are a bit slow, at least for me, but I think they are appropriate for begining level learners.

P

ok, ive lightened up. i agree with Chef P. If you master the book you will sound great but im not sure it is aimed at the advanced player. I was hoping for explanation and examples of pivot notes (for example). The inclusion of the tune The Clumsy Lover {which is in the book) was the sort of thing i was after as it demonstrates a bit of cross picking. I guess i was hoping for some "Fireworks". Maybe Enda will produce another book aimed at intermediate/advanced players which shows you how to perform some of the more interesting techniques as opposed to just the diddly dum BTW, im not an advanced player and probably never will be until i have something to study. Go on Enda, you can do it !!!

Posted by .

Can someone really become an "advanced" player by studying a book?

I sorta hope not….

Sure, books can offer insights and ideas, and I think it’s great that Enda has distilled some of his knowledge and experience into a book. I even hope he does a more advanced edition.

But I’d hate to be in a position to have to rely on such books in order to progress to the next level….

Posted .

If a book is all you’ve got you probably have to work extra hard to get really good.

(sorry will but I couldn’t resist !)

Posted by .

LOL!

Posted .

After playing for about 20 years I’ve just got my copy and am struggling to come to terms with his recommended reel plucking technique.
It seems so unnatural to me and I have to think so much about it that I can’t play anything. Has anyone else experienced this problem and managed to convert their technique successfully after playing differently for some time.

Don’t rework your own technique if it is working for you. If on the other hand you need to rework your technique because it isn’t working then of course anything new will seem completely un-natural. But just because it FEELS unnatural doesn’t make it wrong if it is in fact the correct and best way to do something.

Now I’m curious about this famous picking technique. Can anyone say any more about it? It sounds like there’s more to it than a simple pattern, which sounds promising to me…

Well it obviously works for Enda and as I have only just got my copy I intend to persevere and and hope that eventually it sticks. I was only thinking there may be some others out there with the same problem and wondered how they had managed. If in fact they had managed to change their plucking technique yet and how long it had taken them. The hard part is going to be not playing in a session,as is recommended in the tutor, to give time for the correct plucking to sink in. The technique for reels is quite a simple DUDUDU but with certain exceptions and that is where we differ as the exceptions in Enda’s technique are different to the ones I have always used. It feels like starting all over again. Am I the only one??

What are the exceptions?

personally i ‘ve found it a great help, a lot of reels i just didn’t get but with this picking pattern they fall into place. works just as well on mandolin.

I had to relearn to follow Enda’s "rules" - I wasn’t following any particular rules before so had/have to reprogram my playing of the old tunes. Not easy to change stuff I’ve been playing for years but applying Enda’s system is ironing out lots of glitches and sharpening up my triplets.

Perhaps my picking needed the discipline of a set of rules and Enda’s filled the gap.

Thanks molloy and bodatcha you have given me the encouragement I needed to persevere. I also wasn’t following any particular rules before. To answer concertinaplayer I would have to copy 4 -5 pages of the tutor and I don’t wish to be sued for breach of copyright. Thanks….

I’ve been using the tutor over the last several months. I was horrified at the notion of working through the plucking rules. It did indeed send me back to square one. However, it has been immensely helpful. I haven’t worked my way thorough all the material yet, but I violated the rules and tried the method on some of the tunes I knew anyway. I must say that there were some parts of the tunes that had always given me trouble. So I went real slow at first and after a week the problem sections cleared up! His method really does work if you stick with it. I have a long way to go before I have everything up to speed again, but I feel it will be worth the trouble in the long run.

I should also add that it seems that when there is a challenging part of the tune for both the left and right hands, that having a standardized plucking method is very helpful. That way you don’t have to think about both hands at the same time; the plucking is mostly automatic (at least as far as direction is concerned).

Falling off my chair laughing, for the link, see above. Oh my…

The Doc Stock Banjo Method in Ten Easy Lessons