Longest tune ever?

Longest tune ever?

Out of interest, i’d like to know what are the longest tunes people know of, or play.
One of the longer tunes i play is a 6 part jig - the old grey goose. gets a little hard to remember the order of them after a few beers…

Re: Longest tune ever?

found harmonium
pinch of snuff

It’s really not that long, but just *seems* so long because of parts that repeat in more than one part of the tune—Downfall of Paris.

By the way, Emily, I couldn’t beleive thant banjo player wanted to teach it to you on the spot like that. I found it not so easy to learn on the harp…would never want to learn it on the fiddle…

Posted by .

McKeown’s is an 8-part polka. Worth every note.

The Kilfenora Jig…I think it’s seven parts..I lose count after five as I don’t have any fingers free when I’m playing.

The Drunken Sailor hornpipe I play it as a five parter but when I played it with Kevin Madden a couple of years ago he knew a sixth part…which I have never been able to find anywhere B*st**d!
5 or 6 it’s a great Gminor tune.

Are people posting these in "Tunes", if they’re not there already?

not that I want to come over as some tin-pot webnazi, or anything

Naziwebgirl …. hmmm

Doh!
Just found the ABC to the sixth part of the Drunken Sailor in the Comments part of the Tunes section.
Double Doh!!

Several would qualify but some tunes appear over long because they are dragged out/repeated more often than necessary. Often, I’ve heard repeats played where there are none and once, maybe twice at the most is sufficient to play some of these tunes. I’m not suggesting that long tunes are bad but some thought should go into their presentation. "Enough is as good as a feast."

John

Actually, the Mason’s Apron can be played with 13 parts! Very showy though. I certainly don’t know them, nor would I be interested in finding out.

King of the Faeries - definatley the longest in terms of dragged out - pass me a lethal potion and put me out of my misery tunes!!!!!!!

showaddydaddydave - don’t get all knee-trembly on me, or I might be forced to give you a good whipping/tonguelashing!

Danny - loved the session last night. Did youse stay up ALL night singing? To get a bit more back on thread, is it my imagination, or does the bluebell polka get more repeats than any other tune?

Going the other way, there’s a Scottish reel with only one part! Let me dig out it’s name…

But one part is pretty boring. So is anything beyond 6 parts. I reckon 2-4 part tunes didn’t just evolve by chance. I’d say they have been taylored to fit the attention span of listeners to simple folk dance music. Remember we’re not talking symphonies here.

danny

Bluebell Polka…

..has only three parts. We normally just play it three times over. Maybe it’s to do with the pace, that it seems to take so long. I play it quite slowly for a polka so as to get in all those little triplets. It is just meant to be a fun tune, so kitch that it’s back in fashion.
Was I singing? Groan…Blush.

It certainly was very late. Loadsa fun, though…I think…

Maybe it’s that it always gets played late on, when everybody’s too drunk to count (or maybe it’s me who’s too drunk to count) - I wasn’t complaining - certainly it’s fun.

Singing? Oh yes - you just can’t leave that pimple on Trimble’s bum alone, can you?

Great fun. Well done, all! and many happy returns …

The strayaway child
Paul

Mason’s apron

Presumably not many of the parts are played on a regular basis, so it could be just as interesting to play more of them occasionally, as, say, any set of three two-parters which has had an airing a few times, and become "established". Not taking a poke at anybody, mind!

Arrrghh! The David Trimble Song…what a classic.
It was Trimble’s Revenge this morning though: felt like I was wearing an internal balaclava….eyes like p!ssholes in the snow… breath like Nicaraguan toilet…face like an iguana with lumbago.
Still, nothing a fast (for me) five and a half mile run can’t cure! Feel much better now.

Danny.

I think the longest tune I play is the Gold Ring in G. Seven parts.

7 parts!
That

There’s a Scottish/Cape Breton strathspey called Tullochgorum (sp?) that has 16 parts (or thereabouts - once you’re into double digits it’s easy to lose count). I’ve heard Natalie MacMaster play it. It may be on one of her recordings.

Mason’s

Karen, by observation in Ireland, what generally happens is that everybody plays the first and second parts, then whoever is playing virtuoso plays the third part, and everybody then plays the first again, then the virtuoso plays the fourth part, then everybody plays the first again, and and and…yipes. It’s kind of weird to hear it — WALL OF SOUND! One lone fiddler. WALL OF SOUND! One lone fiddler.

Mason’s

I LOVE when that happens with tunes (especially when the bricks in the wall of sound keep their gobs shut in between)!

Tullochgorum is one of Scott Skinner’s and is a fantastic tune, albeit confusing - dotteds just where you don’t expect them =)
It’s on the MacMaster album "Live".

At the summer school in Durham this year, Rodney Miller taught us Devil among the Tailors in eight parts. Really very cool.

~Cait

Danny - have you heard anyone play 13 parts to the Mason’s Apron? I counted 6 in Sean Maguire’s classic (but now dreadfully un-cool) 1969 recording on "Ulster’s Flowery Vale" compilation album. Loadsa musos these days seem to go for the Micho Russell’s slower 2-part Bb version.

Jim

When I read the subject, I thought "what’s the longest you have ever played a single tune in a session?"

One time at the local s.f.h., they played the Virginia reel about 30 times through, about the 15-th time I just started staring at the session host, dumbstruck, by the 20-th time through I thought maybe this was the twilight zone, and by the 25-th time, surely, I thought, I had died and gone to hell.

—Eliot

Posted by .

Jim - many years I did a student gig with Johnny Miles (banjo) at St.Mary’s Hosp. Med. School. He announced beforehand he was going to do all 13 parts of the M’s A. 6 parts of plinkity plonkity is bad enough, but 13! …And each part sounding not much different from the previous…I was lost (during that M’s A exposition I obviously didn’t play flute but accompanied on the bodhran). I mean, what IS the point? So it might well have been 6, but the next 7 could have been very slightly varied, for all I knew. But he definitely said 13!

Danny.

Eliot, I always groan inwardly when somebody at our session starts Mountain Road, because for some reason, it is always played on and on and on…I’ll play it 4 or 5 times, because it is short, but then I sit and let my eyes glaze over until they’re through flogging the poor thing.

I like those longer tunes with 5 or 6 parts for one or two tunes in a session, but I’d never, never be able to learn 13!!! I agree, Danny—there’s a logic to the length of tunes.

Re: Hardest tune ever!

I don’t know about the longest, but does anyone else have a problem with Connie O’Connell’s jig?
Trying to remember which parts fit into which other parts…and such a brilliant tune as well.
danny

…it’s also known as Michael Dwyer’s.

Just a test - 🙂 :P

Another test = :( :p :D