RAR Files convert

RAR Files convert

Does anyone have any suggestions for free software to enable you to open and play RAR files. I just downloaded "Switch" and when opened, it doesn’t recognise or notice the RAR file sitting on the desktop???? Thanks in advance

Re: RAR Files convert

I use IZarc on Windows
http://www.izarc.org/

And in case this helps clarify the problem you’re having: a RAR file is a compressed file or collection of files (similar to a .zip file) which is why you can’t convert it, but need to unpackage/decompress it.

Hope that helped,

Pat

Download WinRAR - its ok to use

Can’t go wrong with WinRAR.

Like fiftymission said, a .rar is an archive of files. It’s important to understand that you can’t "play" a .rar, rather you play what is in the .rar. In other words, it’s a space saving box that you can put anything inside of. Like a compression sack for a sleeping bag.

If your media player has a problem interpreting the codec used for the media files in the archive, that is another issue. But all the players that I’m familiar with have lossless codec patches available.

I had trouble with all these (Including WinRAR) on the the very latest version RAR files (they may now be called RARx or something).

I think RAR are MAC native, so if all else fails, find someone with a MAC (which is what I eventually did!)

Rar is a compressed archive, its content can be one or more files. It can be used on any Operative System, not just MAC..
FIles should be extracted from the archive, and then be used.
Many times people just open the archive and try to use the file inside, with a on-the-fly (hope to write it right, sorry) utilization.
This sometimes works, sometimes not. It’s like when one doesn’t save an attachment, but just view the attachment. Sometimes people want to write into the attachment, and they don’t realize they just have a temporary file and not the original.
So first it’s much better to uncompress, then give a look at the extension and understand what kind of file is it.
WIndows XP has the chance to compress and uncompress rar files with no add on. If you point on one file and click on it with the right buttonyou can see if rar operations are in the menu list. If so, you just need to double click on the rar files and it will be uncompressed. If not, just download quite any compressing software and it’ll do the job. If you need, you can send me the file as attachment and i’ll uncompress for you sending the result. This way i can also tell you what is eventually the problem. Regards.
PS: what Operative System have on your PC?

me again, concertinaplayer..i gave a look at other discussions you were involved in. You had problems with your pc and it seems with mc….ee packages.. 🙂 If you had problems wiht the reinstallation you’d better get a help from some skilled person aroud you, or you can take you pc to any techical center. If you don’t have the operative system in order, whit all services packs installed, you can meet problems anytime.
I’ve been working in IT for some years and i know it’s very difficult to solve problems as they are reported by customers….generally they misunderstand where the problem is. So, seen what problems have you already faced, the best solution is to have your PC reinstalled, all the SP on, and a good antivirus on it (i prefer mc….ee on any others…) After that, you can go on internet again, being careful about what you download.
Regards…

Would it be easier for you to convert to something such as a zip fike? You can convert it for free online at http://media-convert.com/ That will save you from having to download any new programs which might save you some hassle?

**File. Sorry I read it through as well!

I downloaded izarc4beta last night. When I started the installation I got a couple of messages from my antivirus system saying it wasn’t happy about some aspects of the downloaded files. So I aborted the installation and destroyed the download.

Hi Lazyhound,

I’ve had IZArc 3.7 for a few years now and have never had a problem.. (my antivirus software, AVG, didn’t have a problem with it either).

My guess would be that it’s a false alarm from your antivirus software, but that’s just a guess.. I’ve never tried to install version 4. If you’re uncomfortable with installing it, there’s lots of other free options out there.. WinRAR is what I used before IZArc.. it’s good as well.

Fiftymission, thanks for that advice. Perhaps it was because it’s a beta, which could have some code in it that my antivirus (PCTools) didn’t like. Anyway, I think we’d all agree that a false alarm in this area is far preferable to the alternative!