Whats the deal with The Reel Deal

Re: Whats the deal with The Reel Deal

Looks like it could be good. I like the idea of the ‘Drawing from the Well’ where two musicians from different generations get together. That’s not merely the "New Cool".

Posted .

llig, it may not merely be the ‘new cool’ but is it an integration with the new cool

It aint run yet, why not wait until it does & then ask? As for ‘ITM as the new cool’ !?!?

I think there is an underestimation of the commitment the younger players have to the music. I think the idea that there is a concept abounding that Irish Traditional Music is the "new cool" is insulting to the younger players. It’s like saying they are all Oasis fans and have never listened to the Beatles. Or worse, that they are all Lunasa fans who have never listened to the Bothy Band. Or even worse still, that they are not interested in where the Bothy Band got there tunes from.

Listening to the quality of the younger players today, they deserve more credit than old duffers complaining about them being mere fashionable flash in the pans.

Posted .

I hope it _is_ the new cool, but I doubt it. Cool these days is
playing video games, putting stuff on utube and proving that you
have purchased the correct telephone and mp3 player. You must
have white earphones stuck in your ears at all times. It makes no
difference what you’re listening to - or even if you’re listening at all.

i dont know… i used to watch a lot of programs ar tg4 and as an american i can say that irish music is portrayed as a lot cooler than any sort of traditional music is here in the states. i was very surprised at how much so much of the commercials, dramatic tv. shows, etc. have the music present in even subtle ways.

so, maybe not the new cool, but it’s definitely seems to be "kinda cool." i know it is tv in irish so there is probably a bias, but i think that the way they portray beer as the "new water" on that station i think that they are not trying to shove something down people’s throats that they dont want, ;p

seriously…. i dont think i have seen a single show targeted at teens or adults where someone is not drinking. even on the one shabby go chic i watched, they stopped for a pint in the middle of the show.

Posted by .

Now that i’ve publicised it people might tune in on friday. Look out for me on it. Im the cool lad to the right of the screen about 12 minutes into the show in the group session scene

‘I like the idea of the ‘Drawing from the Well’ where two musicians from different generations get together.’

Older musician: Do you know this one?
Young stag: No, do you know this?
Older musician: No, how about this?
Younger musician: Nah, how about this?
etc. etc.

But seriously…

How about ideal pairings?

Older musician: Do you know this one?
Young stag: No, show us it then?

sorted

Posted .

just watched it, very good program and it gave thesession.org a great plug!