something simple translated into irish, please

something simple translated into irish, please

i am making up some business cards and might want to put some irish on it. i am still in the design stage, so i have a couple of things that i am thinking of and am unsure which i will finally go with. i have a vague idea of the words i need, but my grammar and spelling are very shaky . i will put my best try, and please correct me. please tell me if no one would ever say such a thing, and tell me what they would say instead.

"irish music on flute and concertina"
Ceol na hÉirann ar fliúit agus consairtín

"irish musician"
Ceoilteoir na hÉirann

"irish flute and concertina" (this is what i say in english, but i am afraid if translated it might sound like my instruments are FROM ireland. i’m 99% sure my grammar is wrong as well)
An fliúít agus an consairtín na hÉirann

"irish music by david b——-" (i have no idea how to say by)
Ceol na hÉirann as David B——-

"irish music on the flute and concertina by david b——-"
Ceol na hÉirann ar fliúit agus consairtín as David b——-

Posted by .

Re: something simple translated into irish, please

Although I am not proficient in the grammar end of things,the first thing Daiv is that Éireann has two "e"s in it. Secondly there might be what is called a "buailte" or "h"on the word following the "ar", so if so that will be "ar fhliúit…" but not sure about this.But you could put in an "an" after the "ar" so that it would read "ar an fliúit agus an consairtín".Maybe the use of the word" le" might help with your last example?This would translate more as the music on the flute and concertina with David as opposed to a rigid translation of the English word by.There is, like a lot of languages, a translation problem when one starts to directly translate from English to Irish?You could also, if there was room, say "David B playing the traditional music of Ireland on the flute and concertina.So it would be something like Ceol Tradisiún na hÉireann ag seint ar an fliúit agus an consairtín le David B.But please wait until those more practiced in the language come along.It is many years since I used the Irish language and longer since I studied the grammatics

I wanted to do some translation recently, and can thoroughly recommend this forum:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/

You put in your request and then get a lot of replies pretty much instantly - it’s been great for Irish Gaelic YouTube comments!

And as you’ll see from Concertina player’s comment above, the grammar is quite complex, hence the existence of a dedicated traslation forum.

Cheers

Mark

thanks for the replies. i can’t believe i forgot the second e in éireann… i knew it was there, i swear….

concertinaplayer—i’m going to cross post into that forum, thanks.

mark—yeah, i know it’s complex. many many years ago, i wanted to start learning. i thought it was too complex so i learned chinese instead (not even a joke! that’s how it really happened). so now that i have a solid foundation in conversational mandarin, i’ve decided to try again and conquer the beast, :p.

mark—我觉得爱尔兰语很难。几个年以前,我想要开始学习爱尔兰语。我一开始就觉得太难了!所以我选择学习中文(我不说耍!那个真的是怎么发生过)。多年后,我才会说还好的中文。所以, 我才选择再试一下学习那个破的语, :p。 <===translation of my post. idiomatically shaky, but definitely understandable and coherent.

Posted by .

*所以我选择过

Posted by .

Here is my stab at it.

irish music on flute and concertina"
Ceol Éireannach ar fliúit agus an consairtín
"irish musician"
Ceoiltóir Éireannach
"irish flute and concertina"
fliúít agus consairtín Gaelach
"irish music by david b——-" (i have no idea how to say by)
Ceol Gaelach le David B——-
"irish music on the flute and concertina by david b——-"
Ceol Gaelach ar fliúit agus consairtín

Excuse my asking - but why would you want to put some Irish on your business cards when you don’t speak the language - is that not just mere tokenism? Trying to create a false impression?

We’re well used to getting official letters here in Ireland that start ‘A Chairde’ and finish ‘Is mise le meas’ and everything in between ‘as Bearla’ (in English). It’s laughable.

Posted .

James Galway’s an Irish musician. So’s The Edge.

Posted .

I’m reminded of the Chinese bloke who plans a trip to Ireland. And so as to make his holiday more rewarding he first takes a correspondence course in Gaelic. He reckons he’s got conversational Irish pretty much nailed by the time he’s off and he can’t wait to try it out. He’s been there a fortnight and in every shop and bar he’s been in he’s been met with blank faces of unintelligible confusion. The poor bloke naturally assumes his pronunciation and syntax is not up to it.

Until finally, in a quite bar out West, he meets someone who can understand him. He sits and has a pint and a right good old blether with this old fella and leaves content.

And the old fella’s mate leans over to him and says, "Blimey Pat, I never knew you could speak Chinese."

Posted .

I have an idea free to anyone willing to try a new activity in italian folk music:

"Real italian pizza maker, born under Vesuvio and very skilled in playing mandolins. Sun, Pizza, Love guaranteed in every songs i play"

"Pizzaiolo nato sotto il Vesuvio e musicista esperto in mandolini. Garantisco Sole, Pizza, Amore in tutte le mie canzoni"

@concertina, what about your rar file problems? you sent me an email, and i replied .. but i don’t know the end.

I could be wrong and I can’t be bothered checking it out but isn’t The Edge Welsh? Bono, of course, is multinational!

ha ha, Wiki has him as, "British-born Irish musician" ha ha

Posted .

@hussar, i will be using the irish to design a symbol to put on my cards. i will NOT be writing my cards in irish… thats hokey. i want multiple translations because i do not know what will fit in the graphic i am going to have designed.

i dont think it is creating a false impression anymore than putting celtic knot work or the like. it is the difference between putting a chinese character on a card, and putting in lines of text in your card (assuming of course you had a reason to put a character on, i.e. you were a karate instructor). the chinese view words as both art and meaning, and that is the same viewpoint i take on this matter.

all the words in my original post were from the top of my head and not from any dictionary. using another analogy, it always bothers me when someone wears chinese and they dont know what it means, but it never bothers me when a student of chinese wears a shirt with chinese on it that they could never have written themselves. it is a subtle difference but i think it is an important one.

besides… i havent even talked to my graphic designer yet, and i still dont know if i will like having irish in the graphic at all. i did have severe reservations about including it all for the reasons you mention, but i figured rather than just deciding against it, i was going to have all my options available for me when i design my cards.

haha, if i had known that my my moral deliberations in card design would be so important to people, i would have included a disclaimer.

Posted by .

Ah ha … excellent. I can’t remember where I heard it. So it’s a film. I’d like to see it.

Posted .

This film is very nice….but I hope that this is not the real situation in Ireland. This is one of the aspect of progress we lived in Italy: losing our roots, our popular traditions. And that’s why I probably i look for fresh feelings in ITM, because we lose our culture! Namastè :-)

i love that video! not just the premise, but it’s great to hear chinese and irish in the same video.

has anyone else read that article where an irish travel reporter travelled throughout ireland only speaking irish? he got met with a lot of hostility, as people KNEW he was speaking irish and didnt want to talk to him. he found the most supportive person to be a polish gas station attendant, who probably didnt speak english very well, never mind irish. anyone have the link?

Posted by .

lol, i totally forgot that yu ming couldnt use a knife and fork! classic.

Posted by .

Wouldn’t an Irish singer just be a ceoltóir?
Sticking in the word for irish seems like over-egging the pudding somehow and doesn’t seem to sit right on my (poor) irish ear.

Same with the other place where the nationality is stuck on.

Brilliant video.

@beanzy, that sounds like it makes sense. in america i have to say "irish music" and sometimes "traditional irish music," but i have heard a lot of irish people, esp. when it is clear what music they are talking about, to say "the music" or "traditional music." that is part of why people dont say trad a lot here, cuz it’s not a given what trad(ition) you are referring to.

Posted by .