Irish to English translation requested of Feach an Mhadra Rua - also a tune name…

Irish to English translation requested of Feach an Mhadra Rua - also a tune name…

Hello out there.

A while back I inquired if anybody out there
could transcribe and translate
"Feach an Mhadra Rua".

I have only heard this song on one video recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkPwHDyeSQ&feature=related

No one responded with the lyrics the first time I asked.. I’ll have a second go of it. I’d like to know what she is singing in Irish and then have the English translation handy to compare it to. If no one knows, then maybe there’s an Irish-language website that someone can guide me to that would have the answer.

I am also interested in the name of the tune that precedes the
song. Thanks in advance for any useful responses.

Re: Irish to English translation requested of Feach an Mhadra Rua - also a tune name…

I can’t answer this myself, but why don’t you try posting this question on Mudcat.org. I’ve seen similar questions get answered quickly and in detail. Worth a try!

Re: Irish to English translation requested of Feach an Mhadra Rua - also a tune name…

Tune sounds like a cross between "The Mason’s Apron" and one of the "John Stenson’s" reels, but it could be neither. The song was certainly recorded by "Clannad" in the late 70s - may have something to do with a fox, but I’m not at all sure about that.

Posted by .

"feach" is look
"mhadra rua" is red dog

Is it "The Fox Hunt"?

Look at the Fox

"An Madra Rua" is "the Fox"
"Fiach" is "Hunt"

Possibly a poor translation of the Fox Hunt

Ah, that sounds more like it!

Fiach rather than feach.

I also recall that the song melody appeared in the "Chieftains" version of the "Foxhunt" on their 2nd recording.

Posted by .

google it

fiach an mhadra rua - the foxhunt…

HI There. Did you ever find the lyrics to this song? I have found them in English (I think??) but am more interested in finding the lyrics in gaelic if you ever managed to find them.

Thanks 🙂