Cape Breton, Halifax, Nova Scotia Need Travel Advice

Cape Breton, Halifax, Nova Scotia Need Travel Advice

If Herself and I managed to get into Cape Breton or Halifax in late july or early august can anyone offer some advice on local music spots and things going on in general?

Advice greatly aprpeciated

Re: Cape Breton, Halifax, Nova Scotia Need Travel Advice

Cape Breton Choices (http://cbchoices.com/) has an extensive listing of musical events happening on the Cape.

It’s been almost 30 years since I lived in Halifax. The town was just starting to wake from its mid-1950’s stupor around then, so what I know about Halifax is no longer relevant. It seems to be a much more happening place now.

J

At least you aren’t going in March when it is still snowing. Yes, I was in Halifax in March when the ship which I was stationed on stopped there for a day or two.

zipp…i’ll be there all july.
try The Triangle bar….sunday afternoons and tues nights I believe. and also there’s a great session at what used to be called the Granite House…it goes by some other name now. Saturday nights. fast and furuious…it’s down near the Via rail station end of town.
Triangle Pub is centre of town.

there’s also a slower session on wednesday nights at another pub. email me for info.

Ps. Cape Breton doesn’t really have ‘sessions’ in quite the way the irish community thinks of them.
Also, it’s a 6 hr drive from Halifax…bit out of your range maybe? 🙂

Don’t forget the amazing wooden flute fest that takes place in Lunenburg…they always have great guest artists for the final concert and have informal sessions all week long after the day’s classes…they used to take place in the Legion Hall down near waterfront. They like people who play instruments OTHER than flutes to show up…so you’d be welcome.

Sunday afternoons at the Triangle usually are graced by the Irish dancers. 2 pm.

Anyone know the most direct route for getting to Cape Breton Island from England?

let a Canadian girl buy you a drink? I give up…

The most direct route from England to Cape Breton? Turn right at Greenland …

"Anyone know the most direct route for getting to Cape Breton Island from England?"

Yep - across the Atlantic.
(sorry, couldn’t resist.)

oops. make that turn left at Greenland. wouldn’t want anyone to get lost.

hey Sarah! howz things? We missed you last Sunday - I made everyone learn a cool new tune with my name in it:
https://thesession.org/tunes/494
I play it a string down a la Paul Bradley - I’ll send you a recording tomorrow…

"Turn right at Greenland"…well, *that’s* a great help isn’t it!
😉

Thanks, guys. I tried turning right and left at Greenland, and ended up in a place where the sun don’t shine. No matter, I’ll just stick to listening to Jerry on my Cds- Holland is so much easier to get too 🙂

‘To’ even.

‘two’, already.

There are two Cape Bretons? I was having enough trouble getting tot the first one.

‘To’. Damn these boxing gloves.

Seriously, though, we had the pleasure of listening to Leanne Aucoin and Jesse Lewis playing and talking about their music over here in Bristol earlier this year. Very good young ambassadors for Cape Breton.

Good sessions in Wolfville too. About 1/2 hour from Halifax. Lovely place.

That’s ‘The Old Triangle’ in Halifax, in case you’re having trouble finding it….and the other one mentioned is probably the Henry House, which used to be the Granite Brewery….not sure if that session is still going as I live in Cape Breton, not Halifax.

There is a session at Rollie’s Wharf in North Sydney; Jerry Holland is often there. In the summer a lot of people are playing around, so I don’t how active it is. In Sydney, there is a bar called Bunkers, upstairs from Governors restaurant….they have just started to do trad music, and a friend’s group are going to be hosting a Wednesday session. Don’t know more than that as it is new.

On the other side of the island, there are usually tunes on the go at the Doryman in Cheticamp (http://www.thedoryman.com/location.html), or the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou. The Normaway Inn usually has music in the summer (http://www.thenormawayinn.com/music.html) There’s lots of music all over the place; i don’t think it would be hard for a fiddler to find someone to play some tunes with….flute, whistle, pipes may be a little trickier.

Anyway, I’m biased of course…the mainland is beautiful, but Cape Breton is the place to be.

@Zippy: Check out http://nssession.tripod.com/ for sessions going on in the Halifax area. There is a session in Wolfville on Sunday Nights at Paddy’s Pub…. I think that is still going on for the summer. The slow session in Kentville I know has stopped until September.

For general information, check out the Nova Scotia Doer’s and Dreamer’s Guide https://novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/travel_guides/default.aspx. There is a section on festivals and events across the province that might be of some interest to you. I would recommend the Lunenburg Folk Festival if you are going to be around early August (http://www.folkharbour.com/).

@Fauxcelt: snow in March is nothing out of the ordinary…I’ve seen snow in late April/early May! Oh the joys of living in the Maritimes….

@P-K: the most direct route form England to Cape Breton (if you want a serious answer ) would probably be London to Halifax, then either drive (5h) to Cape Breton or get a connecting flight from Halifax to Sydney. I think West Jet has a flight from Toronto to Sydney, so that is also a possibility.

Posted by .

jsmith- it was a serious question, so many thanks for a helpful answer. Not that ‘turn left at Greenland’ wasn’t helpful, of course…just a tad imprecise 🙂

Another possible route would be London to Newfoundland (via Iceland I think), then take the ferry to Cape Breton, and drive down to Halifax. Lots of music in Newfoundland.

Thanks for the help.

This time it looks like I am only getting into Halifax…Schedule change last night.

I am dying to get up there for Celtic Colours though. Problem is Herself teaches hyper hormonal junior high miscreants who have yet recognized the need for deodorant, so she has trouble ‘playing hooky’ to get up there.

Yes, I second a pit stop in Newfoundland! Although personally I would rather fly to Halifax and then drive to CB rather than take the 14h boat ride since I get seasick just looking at the water. But hey, if you are up for it, then by all means go for it 🙂

Posted by .

Thanks, Harry- that’s cheap. Hope it’s not LAG Airlines (Left At Greenland!)

In addition to the one´s mentioned here I´d recommend Henry´s House on Saturdays. Great tunes, a bit noisy, and not for beginners.

https://thesession.org/sessions/836

Looks like we (mo bhean cheile agus mo fhein…sorry no fadas on this machine) will be headed that way in early August. I think we’ll take the CAT from Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth and then to Halifax.

Anyone with experience at the Busker’s Festival?

I passed through the Busker’s Festival a couple of years ago - variable quality performers (passable to memorable), musical and non-musical entertainment. Fun evening, but not something I’d go too far out of my way for.

I heard the new session at Durty Nelly’s (also downtown Hfx) is fun.

If you are interested in listening to some good Cape Breton music in Halifax, I recommend going to the Triangle on a Monday evening to hear Dave MacIsaac and Louis Benoit. Glenn Graham and Wendy MacIsaac often play the Celtic Corner Pub in Dartmouth on Sunday evenings - it’s early, so go if you have the chance. There would still be time to zip down the highway to the session in Wolfville to join in some tunes!

Posted by .