Happy To Meet - Scattery Island

Happy To Meet - Scattery Island

Does anyone have any information regarding the jig called Scattery Island on the recording Happy to Meet from P.J. Crotty, Carol Cullinan, and James Cullinan?

It’s not the same tune as the slide of that name, and I haven’t been able to find any references to the tune anywhere.

I’d be grateful for any info about it!

Thanks in advance,

Nico

Posted by .

Re: Happy To Meet - Scattery Island

Well which slide do you have in mind, Nico?The Crotty & Cullinans’ jig is remarkably similar to the ‘Scattery Island’ slide played by John Kelly.

Posted by .

Not at all…

"The Crotty & Cullinans’ jig is remarkably similar to the ‘Scattery Island’ slide played by John Kelly."

Boy, I don’t think so at all. I don’t see how you can say that. They are two very different tunes.

Ok, I just listened to the slide, and that’s the one I linked to above, not the one on Happy to Meet.

Posted by .

Sorry I was late Nico, distractions… You’ve said you were interested in ‘versions’. I particularly like the one low down, and would love to hear it on a low set of pipes, a flat set… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Nico, is the Scattery Island you’ve linked to above the same one you played at the post-Fleadh Conor’s session? (I’m totally lost in the above trying to figure out what tune goes to what recording I don’t have….)

Sol, if you don’t already have "Happy To Meet", you’re missing out on a great listen, highly recommended, and not just by me. Everyone I’ve convinced to chase up a copy also now recommends it.

"P.J. Crotty, Carol Cullinan, James Cullinan: Happy To Meet"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/408

Track 4: "Scattery Island" / "Farewell to Lissycasey"

It’s a gorgeous recording, Sol, one you need to have.

The one I linked to is a slide and is *not* the one on that recording, nor the one I would have played, as I don’t actually know the slide, yet! John Kelly plays the slide, not the jig.

Although I think the "jig" would be better classified as a single jig, and hence a cousin of slides…

Posted by .

Or is it the slide that is a nephew to the single jig? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I tend to think of them as twins, if not identical…

I don’t think they’re even twins, ceol… they’re pretty different. Even the links you’ve given above are pretty substantially different to their jig. Cousins at best!

I’ve got a copy of a tune called the basket of oysters (aka the bunch of currants, the bunch of roses, greensleeves, I’m a silly old man, the little bogtrotter, the shady lane, and spring in the air) from the "Fiddlers Tunebook". It’s 5 parts, the second of which is the first part of Crotty’s Scattery Island. (The first part is the O’Farrell’s Basket of Oysters down a fifth and the last three parts are a version of Greensleeves from James Buckley, a limerick piper about 1852, which in turn is a version of the three part Humours of Ennistymon)

Posted by .

Definitely twins, though not ‘identical’. They are of the same genetic root…

Not another uilleann piper’s medley… ๐Ÿ˜

Back to the oft repeated ~ a slide is a single jig, but not all single jigs are slides…

Well, I’d say your three jigs and the jig that PJ Crotty et al play are cousins at best… same genetic root, but pretty different.

The slide is unrelated as far as I can tell… I don’t hear any similarities at all, really.

Good point on the slides / single jigs thing.

Also, not sure what you meant about the uilleann piper’s medley, but try Crotty’s Scattery Island, Lonesome jig (Rolling waves) and the Cordal Jig. Lovely set of single jigs with a nice soft dreamy sort of quality.

Posted by .