Looking for Patsy Hanly stories/anecdotes

Looking for Patsy Hanly stories/anecdotes

Patsy Hanly, the great flute player and character is shortly to be honoured in his home town,Roscomon,for his contribution to the music and the tradition. We’d love to get any stories or anecdotes people out there in cyberspace may have about this witty,well loved character and exceptional musician.

Re: Looking for Patsy Hanly stories/anecdotes

I don’t have any, but with the recent name-dropping thread, those who do may be a little gun shy.

A friend of mine once showed me a video of Patsy Hanly being interviewed by a young Iarla O’Lionaird on an RTE music programme, probably about 20 years ago. Iarla said something along the lines of "Now Patsy Hanly, you’ve been around the traditional music scene for a number of years now, is that so ?"
Patsy’s reply - "Ah sure, Iarla, I have indeed. I’ve played with many of the best - [ slight pause ] - and also many of the worst - musicians in Ireland over the years". I loved that "and also many of the worst". No better flute player to be honoured.

Posted by .

he used a chainsaw to cut his wedding cake

Patsy went into a pub in Leitrim on a roasting hot summer day and declared - "I swear thats the warmest day ever!! " I just passed the car door of a Morris Minor in a gap in the ditch and the window is rolled all the way down". (But it’s the way Patsy said it no doubt)