Hohner Melodions..best years, models?

Hohner Melodions..best years, models?

Hello

Might anyone have knowledge and advice on searching for the best Melodion (one row) that Hohner made. I have seen some great players using them and wonder which models and periods of manufacture would be reccomended.

Thanks,

R

Posted by .

Re: Hohner Melodions..best years, models?

the friendly people over at melodeon.net would know —

Posted by .

Someone mentioned my name?

My favourite Hohner is the wood bodied Club II, also badged Erika, two and a half row, two voice made in the 1930s. There is also a three voice Club III in a similar wood body. In the 1930s Hohner produced a huge variety of models and finishes. How well they play now probably depends more on how well they have been fettled, than on when they were made. Even the new Chinese ones aren’t too bad when properly tuned, and the treble action is fixed so the buttons don’t disappear down the holes.

My Hohner was modelled on an Austin Allegro. Going up a gear was like playing marbles with a dipstick. It was a bad year for Hohners. We had an Allegro. It was a bad year for them as well. But it had a better action than the Hohner and sounded better too. I could make it dance jigs. The suspension broke on the Hohner when I was revving it through the scizzor-junctions in Newcastle.

Hohner HA 113 ( 3 reed ) and Hohner HA 114

Made in Germany ONLY and with a wooden not plastic keyboard

And the best of the wooden keyboard ones had "horns" or lyre shaped on the end of the keyboard not rounded…

These would have been form the 50’s and 60’s

70’s next best then downhill from there.