Raise your glasses…

Re: Raise your glasses…

And why?

Tubes!

I played a glass flute.

It was ok.

But surely in a musical instrument even more than in some other things, form must follow function. So if a glass fiddle sounds as good as a traditionally made wood fiddle that’s fine, but if it doesn’t then the point has been lost to pretention.

hmm … . I can see the point of a glass bodhran … .

Don’t point that glass bodhran at me.
“And the first item to come under the hammer at this auction is this fine glass bodhran” (to borrow from the Goon Show)

A glass squeeze-box wouldn’t be a lot of use.

But why does the title at the top of the little video say “Hario V60 Coffee Dripper” ? I think we should be told.
Who was it in the ‘70s’ played a perspex violin ? The guy in Curved Air I believe ?
But even this glass violin has a wooden bridge and strings of the usual nature, surely ? Plus what looks like a wooden chin-rest. It’s not as if it’s ALL glass.

Terrible idea.. that’s a blood bath waiting to happen.

“Who broke my glass fiddle while I was in the mens’? I say WHO BROKE MY GLASS FIDDLE?”

Wouldn’t even have to smash a bottle after that.

I think there was a perspex fiddle played in a few bands on TOTP back in the seventies. Didn’t the guy with the teeth in Slade play one sometimes?

Perhaps the beeb kept one in the dressing up cupboard.

Darryl Way of Curved Air played a plastic violin, but it was electric not acoustic.

The Parting Glass

I’ve watched the video in Mark’s opening post. First thing was fairly obvious - although the tone is reasonably attractive, it certainly isn’t the tone of a wood violin (I wouldn’t have expected it to be), but with a pickup and the appropriate electronic wizardry, who knows? However, I doubt whether it would be the mainstay of Joshua Bell’s career.

“Each violin is hand-blown from a single piece of sturdy, heat-resistant glass”
Now, I’m not a glass technologist, but how do you hand-blow “heat-resistant” glass?

I wonder if they mean tempered? Whatever that is! And I’m still intrigued to know what that Coffee Dripper is that’s mentioned in the title of the video page.

“tempered”, or perhaps “heat-strengthened”? Looks like something’s got lost in the translation.

Mark, the company that makes the glass violin (played by Vanessa-Mae in the demo video?) is evidently expanding from its core business of kitchen and culinary glassware. The “Coffee Dripper” is a coffee percolator.

It would be interesting to see a cello or double bass being hand-blown from a single sheet of molten glass!

“hmm … . I can see the point of a glass bodhran “

No pane, no gain.

groan…!!

I think the perfect song to play on a glass instrument would “I’m Looking Through You”.
Speaking as a bass player, I don’t think I would like a double bass made of glass because I wouldn’t be able to hide behind it unlike the wooden double bass which I use now.

Hmm, yes. That applies to the cello as well.

I’ve seen a guy at symphony playing on a plexy cello, but never seen a glass one before O.o It seems like the finger board would feel weird, wouldn’t it? And I’d hate to think what would happen if you accidently hit your violin hard with your bow while playing!

Leave it to the Japanese….

I rarely use my bow on my bass (either acoustic or electric). Instead, I usually plucky the strings with my fingers (yes, I am a plucky bass player).

Carbon fibre cellos (and violins) have been designed, and are being produced, by a cellist in the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The link is http://www.luisandclark.com/

Thank you for the luisandclark link, lazyhound. It was interesting.

That glass violin again …
We all know the stories about wine glasses being shattered by a singer hitting a certain high note. Now what if a particular frequency is played strongly with the bow on that glass violin … ?

It would probably have to be a Very Low Frequency to shatter a double bass made of glass.