Looking to buy a nice but inexpensive wooden flute

Looking to buy a nice but inexpensive wooden flute

I am looking to buy a wooden irish flute thats not too expensive. I dont need high end, but maybe somthing in the middle. Anything that has a nice tone, and preferably tuneable. I am willing to buy a used one or a new one, and dont want to spend any more than 300 at the MOST. If anyone is selling one, or knows whre to buy a good one, let me know!! It would halp me out a lot! Thanks!

Re: Looking to buy a nice but inexpensive wooden flute

Seamus, check out all the flutes available through Doc Jones’ online shop: http://www.irishflutestore,com

Doc’s a great guy to deal with and he sells no clunkers.

Posted .

erm, that’s what I get for typing without my glasses on:

http://www.irishflutestore.com

Posted .

The Folk Flute by Casey Burns is probably your best bet for a wood flute at that range. Otherwise you’re looking at delrin from either Dixon 3 piece or a Copley. One other choice not often mentioned but a decent all wood flute is Sweetheart flutes. All have websites.

Cheers,

Jason

Found a wooden flute sold roughly a century ago in a Belfast store on E-bay months ago. It wasn’t in the best of shape, but with some work (less than you might think), it doesn’t look bad for an antique. The embouchure is a real pleasure even for a relative beginner like me. (I’ve tried to adjust the embouchure’s of the flutes I’ve made to correspond to the example it provided, so I got more from it than just a flute.) It plays to the top of the second register with ease.

The E-bay option for antique wooden flutes is usually more competitive relative to price than in the instance referenced. Had the one I purchased been in better condition, the price would surely have precluded my purchase.

I wonder if a few telephone calls or e-mails to some music shops would be worth a try, particularly those that sell used instruments? I don’t know if there are any flea markets in your area that are known for selling used, quality instruments, but it might be worth an internet search or a question to one of the instrument shop managers.

Do yourself a favor and DON’T buy a wooden flute off of ebay unless you really know a lot about wooden flutes.

(And FWIW, an embouchure hole that’s “a real pleasure” for a relative beginner is likely to be a shortcoming for anyone with a developed embouchure. If you want to become a good flute player, buy a good flute.)

Posted .

Buy a bodhran, much nicer peer group.

“Looking to buy a nice but inexpensive wooden flute”

I’m looking for a well paid but not too demanding job……

Never tried to use the option, but the higher end flute auctions tend to provide for a return policy, with enough time to check out or have the instrument checked out. Perhaps more trouble than its worth… Definitely something to consider.