Transport to drumshanbo!

Transport to drumshanbo!

Can anyone help me get to Drumshanbo for Joe Mooney Summer School? I can’t seem to work out any public transport to it at all, is there any? I’m based in Kildare but can go from dublin too.
Thanks for any help!

Re: Transport to drumshanbo!

There is a train straight to Drumshanbo from Dublin as far as I know

There’s no train station in Drumshanbo?

There is train to Carrick-on-Shannon from Dublin (Connolly Stn.) and a taxi from Carrick to Drumshanbo wouldn’t cost too much.

Yeah seems the best option, or bus to Carrick on Shannon, cheaper like 🙂

Sorry ! Confused Drumshanbo with Dromod for some reason. The train stops in Maynooth so that might be handy?

Drumshanbo is only served by buses on Fridays and Saturdays.

If you’re planning to arrive on the Saturday, you’ll need to catch the 13.05 Sligo train from Dublin (leaves Maynooth at 13.32) and either:

1) get off at Longford (arrive 14.41) and catch the Bus Éireann service 469 outside the railway station at 15.50 which gets to Drumshanbo at 17.15;

or

2) get off the train at Carrick (arrive 15.11) and pick up the same 469 service to Drunshanbo outside Coffey’s Pastry Case at 16.53. You’ll have to cross the river from the railway station (see here for a map - http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/leitrim/carrick.html) to get to the bus stop by the roundabout at the bottom of Bridge Street.

Alternatively, there’s a 13.30 bus from Dublin which gets into Carrick at 16.28, giving just a 25-minute wait for the 469 (and you won’t have to move from the bus stop while you’re waiting. (Again this only works for a Saturday).

Hope that helps.

Posted by .

Ignore my comment about Friday above (that’s only of use if you’re coming from Sligo). However, if you’re travelling to Drumshanbo on a weekday (Mon-Fri), your only bet is to get to Carrick and then get a taxi or hitch.

Posted by .

I’m heading there on the Monday morning, to get there for about 9am or so.
Kinnegad would be the nearest meeting point if ye want a lift?
mail me if that’s any use, and we can arrange something.
cheers,
andy

Thanks a million for all the help!

Don’t know how you feel about hitching, but I thumbed from Ashbourne, north of Dublin, to Ardara, Co. Donegal a couple of months ago. I got dropped off in Ashbourne by a friend at 2pm and arrived in Ardara by about 8.30pm. It can be a slow mode of travel, and miserable in bad weather, but it gets you there and you get to meet a few people along the way. Placing your instruments in view of the drivers often gives people an incentive to pick you up

Kildare town wouldn’t be the easiest place to get out of if you’re going NW, but if you can get out to Kinnegad, then you’re on the main road to Carrick-on-Shannon.

Alternatively, do you have a bike? It’s about 95 miles from Kildare to Drumshanbo by the by the back roads - it’s possible to find routes that avoid the all N-roads and most of the R-roads. You can do it in 3 days going at a leisurely pace (2 days if you’re fit, 1 day if you’re an athlete or a nutter) - and it’s easy enough to find spots to camp overnight, if you ask people nicely. It does, of course, depend on what instrument(s) you plan to take with you - a whistle can go in your bag, a fiddle, on your back. A harp, on the other hand, might be more of a problem.

I hope you get there.

@Darragh Ó C how much would a taxi cost from Carrick-on-Shannon to Drumshanbo? Can you give a price?