"United Breaks Guitars"

Re: "United Breaks Guitars"

Excellent stuff - let’s hope the b*ggers finally get the message. I won’t hold my breath though.

Posted by .

I just came from there. Excellent video.

Of course, one might always ask "Was your journey really necessary ?" Yes, in this case, as a gigging musician.
The only thing is to have an insurance policy for carrying your instrument, and set it against tax.
Meantime, Jack, I’m not holding my breath either.

Guernsey Pete, I totally agree. If he’s a pro musician, why did he not a) insure it, b) have a decent flight case and c) buy it a seat? If he’s not, then what’s he doing toting around such an expensive instrument?? OK so it broke on the outward journey but do they not have guitars in other parts of the states?

All very well to knock big corporates, but customers bear some responsibility too when they choose a service - he could have travelled with a better (more expensive) airline, or gone by car, etc.

I’ve travelled Ryanair but I’ve fully accepted the risks (and I’ve made damn sure my insurance covers any eventuality).

My cello is a) insured, b) has a decent flight case and c) always has a seat bought.

Airlines are determined to smash musical instruments and, in the end, they will.
They have cellos in other parts of the world but a) they’re not my cello, b) it is unique and c) there’s no time to sort out a replacement on a day with two flights, a coach journey and a gig at the end of it.

It doesn’t matter whether the airline is "cheap" or "expensive".
They’re all the same, they all operate the same disclamer policy and they all use the same baggage handlers.

Car journeys take a long time and they’re not so good at crossing water.

I’ve travelled Ryanair many times, and a great many other airlines around the world. I’ve fully accepted the risks and I’m also aware that I can’t get the same tone out of an insurance cheque that I can from my beloved instrument.

Hi Chief,

Seems we are in total agreement. I made the car comment because the guy in the video said he’d go by car next time.

For those not otherwise aware of this video, it has now apparently brought him fame, fortune, and free flights by other airlines who love the adverse publicity for United !
Also United themselves are now using the video in training for their personnel in customer relations !

Currently…..
….5, 455, 599 viewers !
I can understand why he didn’t want to drive to Nebraska, but still….
….ah well, most publicity is good publicity ( for Dave Carroll at least ). Not for United. Hah !

"they all use the same baggage handlers"
Good point, seldom understood

Posted by .