Upload for your weekend delectation - The McCuskers

Upload for your weekend delectation - The McCuskers

Around 1963 or thereabouts the esteemed Topic label produced a few test copies (or ‘white labels’, as they were known) of an album by The McCusker Brothers Céilí Band. This consisted of the band’s 78s and some BBC recordings, presumably those made by Peter Kennedy in 1952.

I’ve never been able to ascertain why Topic made this unreleased compilation, but here it is for your enjoyment - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jyjjogjj3yy.

All the tracks are out of copyright.

The file consists of the entire album as one MP3 track. I haven’t had the time to separate the tracks or reduce disc noise (and there’s a very obvious skip on the first set of tunes). If anyone has the facility to a) split the tracks, b) reduce the sound of scratched vinyl, or c) add the tunes’ names and then re-upload the files, I’d be more than grateful.

There’s little information available about the band, but here’s a smidgeon - http://www.folktrax-archive.org/menus/cassprogs/372.htm.

Enjoy the music (especially Ceolachan!).

Posted by .

Re: Upload for your weekend delectation - The McCuskers

Thanks a million! I used to go to Kilcreevy every summer years ago to play music.

Thanks Floss. Mediafire worked well and looks stable. Regards

Thanks Floss! Can’t get enough of ceili band 78s….

Many many thanks! Be great for some Sunday morning wakeup music!

Good to see this being made available for others. Thanks for the thought. Your efforts are appreciated… I’ll pass on the good news.

I can’t verify it at the moment, as our vinyl colleciton isn’t at hand, but I’m sure I’ve an LP of the McCuskers that was cut by Topic? Maybe I’m dreaming it. I do have some of their vinyl. There are relatives of the lads who are members on this site.

~ the coelacanth…

Hmm, Ceol,

Re. Topic. Please do check the first sentence of my OP.

Posted by .

Really great stuff! Thanks for making it available.

Thanks for splitting the tracks, but I’m a little puzzled why you’ve uploaded them as separate files. Wouldn’t it have made sense to have combined them all into one *.zip or *.rar file?

Posted by .

So far some 90 Session members have downloaded this file and just seven have thanked me for uploading it.

The same kind of pattern applies to all my previous uploads. My, what an ungrateful bunch you are! I’m not looking for kudos, but a few of you leechers might have had the decency to contact me.

As a result, all future uploads will require you to contact me via a PM to get the download details.

Posted by .

well I haven’t downloaded this yet but thanks anyhow. I know how much effort it requires to transfer the LP clean it up, then upload it all.

You are right of course Floss. Must have been a senior moment 🙂 However I think it is easy enough for ungrateful downloaders to select them all and then they will download in sequence.

90 downloads and nobody has come up with a track list either.

Posted by .

This download is no longer available.

Posted by .

Topic SP 102
The McCusker Brothers 12" LP Test Pressing - Never issued (Side 1: transfers from 78s. Side 2: transfers from ?)
Side One: before April 1954 as: The McCusker Brothers Ceilidhe Band - John, Vincent, Brandon (fiddles); Kevin (piccolo); Francis (mandolin-banjo); Benignus (melodeon); Thomas (accordeon); Bernard (piano); Malachy (drums) (All Traditional)
1 The Sweets of May (OEA 17826-2) HMV BD 1324, HMV IP 992.
2 Polkys (OEA 17827-2) HMV BD 1326.
3 Heilans (OEA 17828-2) HMV BD 1326.
4 Man From Newry (OEA 17829-2) HMV BD 1324, HMV IP 992.
5 Kilcreevy Reels (OEA 17830-2) HMV BD 1325.
6 Kilcreevy Jigs (OEA 17831-2) HMV BD 1325
Side Two: BBC 31st July 1952, Armagh
1 The Clap Dance (Miss McLeod’s Reel) Benignus McCusker, melodeon (with dancers).
2 Two Barn Dance Tunes / The Spanish Schottische Benignus, melodeon + Vincent McCusker, fiddle.
3 Down in the Glen (hornpipe) Benignus, melodeon.
4 The Cuckoo Hornpipe John and Vincent McCusker, fiddles - no melodeon.
5 The Orange Rogue (set dance) John, fiddle - no melodeon.
6 The First of May (reel) / Tatter Jack Walsh (jig) / Three Mazurka Tunes / Princess Royal (set dance) John and Vincent, fiddles - no melodeon.
7 King of the Fairies (set dance) / Maggie Pickens (round dance) Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles.
8 Jockey to the Fair (set dance) Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles.
9 Kilcreevy Jigs Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles

This is the list Mustrad.org have in their discography. i’ll try comparing it to the recording in detail tomorrow, I think some of the side 1 78 tracks must contain more than one tune. I’ll see if tallies with some of the folktrax : Princess Royal: Dance Music From South Armagh

All the best Nick

thanks for posting the track list, nick. and thanks again for posting the LP, floss. i’ve really been enjoying it.

My best attempt at filling in detail in the track list above, please add, correct, etc . from ceolachan folktrax tracklist and other bits and pieces off the web.

Topic SP 102
The McCusker Brothers 12" LP Test Pressing - Never issued (Side 1: transfers from 78s. Side 2: transfers from ?)
Side One: before April 1954 as: The McCusker Brothers Ceilidhe Band - John, Vincent, Brandon (fiddles); Kevin (piccolo); Francis (mandolin-banjo); Benignus (melodeon); Thomas (accordeon); Bernard (piano); Malachy (drums) (All Traditional)
1 The Sweets of May jig (OEA 17826-2) HMV BD 1324, HMV IP 992
2 Polkys = McCusker’s 1&2, Jenny Lynd Polkas (OEA 17827-2) HMV BD 1326.
3 Heilans = 4 Highlands ~, Kafoozalem (Highland Schottishe), ~, ~ (OEA 17828-2) HMV BD 1326.
4 Man From Newry= Man From Newry Hp, McCusker’s Hp (OEA 17829-2) HMV BD 1324, HMV IP 992.
5 Kilcreevy Reels =McKenna’s, Tinker’s Apron, Antrim Reel reels (OEA 17830-2) HMV BD 1325.
6 Kilcreevy Jigs = Biddy The Bowl Wife, I Lost My Love And I Care Not, King Of The Cannibal Islands jigs (OEA 17831-2) HMV BD 1325
Note Kilcreevy was their home town

19’56 Side Two: BBC 31st July 1952, recorded at their home in Kilcreevy, Co Armagh by Peter Kennedy featured on FTX-372 - McCusker Brothers & Others - The Princess Royal: Dance Music From South Armagh

1 The Clap Dance (Miss McLeod’s Reel) Benignus McCusker, melodeon (with dancers).
2 Benignus, melodeon + Vincent McCusker, fiddle.
a Two Barn Dance Tunes =McCusker Brothers’, Hugh Savage’s (McCusker’s Barndances 1&2 )
b The Spanish Schottische (Seven Steps)
3 Down in the Glen (hornpipe) Benignus, melodeon.
4 The Cuckoo Hornpipe John and Vincent McCusker, fiddles - no melodeon.
5 The Orange Rogue (set dance) John, fiddle - no melodeon.
6 John and Vincent, fiddles - no melodeon.
a The First of May (reel)
b Tatter Jack Walsh (jig)
c Three Mazurka Tunes = Rachel On The Rocks, McCuskers’, Old Donegal
d Princess Royal (set dance)
7 Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles.
a King of the Fairies (set dance)
b Maggie Pickens (round dance)
8 Jockey to the Fair (set dance) Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles.
9 Kilcreevy Jigs Benignus, melodeon + John and Vincent, fiddles = I Lost My Love & I Care Not, King Of The Cannibal Islands (Jigs)

Nick

Thanks Nick.

Posted by .

With a little bit of cutting and pasting, I’ve repaired the jumps on 4 of the tracks, plus a few of the more irritating scratches.
Put them in a zip
McCuskers-1-1, 1-2, 2-6c, 2-6d repaired.zip
on mediafire, first time I’ve used this please let me know if it does or doesn’t work properly.

[URL]http://www.mediafire.com/?dgxsjtjkz5i[/URL]

All the best Nick

Floss,

What a great one. I am really enjoying it. I split it by hand in Audacity. Easy enough when I’m brain-dead from paperwork.

Also thanks to Nick for the track list. I hope to get the zip version soon.

Dan

Anybody care to repost or reshare this?

Is this still available as my father is playing on it?

Hi - have just come across this discussion and was wondering this link still available as my grandfather was one of the Mc Cuskers?