Petrie’s Complete Irish Music

Petrie’s Complete Irish Music

HI All,

Newbie here. Checking to see what people thought of this collection of tunes. Good one to have? (I am NOT trying to stir up anything about dots here!)

Thanks,
Nofrets

Re: Petrie’s Complete Irish Music

Just taking a quick look, I didn’t see any tune names that I recognized and the key signatures are a little strange for "normal" playing (i.e. keys of D, G, A and their minors). All of the tunes could be easily transposed, but why bother when there are lots of collections around with tunes that are actually played in sessions. The historical significance is, obviously, well, significant however…

Pat

Those old collections are always fun to troll through, just don’t expect anyone to know any particular tune you find there. That’s okay, though, if you find something that you think is great, you can bring it out and see if it comes back to life. If it does, you’ll have added a new tune to your local repertoire, and that’s worth getting up in the morning for.

Took a look through mine just now. There seem to be some interesting settings of some common tunes, for example: "Kitty gone a-milking", "The Moving Bog", "Blackberry Blossom" in Eb (!!), "Strawberry Blossom", "Gusty’s Frolics" with 10 parts (!!), a 3 part "cherish the ladies", a setting w/o repeats of "The choice wife", a version of "The Cuckoo’s nest" in Eb, "Old Hag You Have Killed me" in Emaj…and what look to be like some lovely airs.

Considering how settings get altered over time, I always find it interesting to read through some of these older settings and see how (maybe) these tunes used to be played. Rainy day sight-reading, I guess would be what I use this collection for. I wouldn’t use this book to learn tunes from, though, and I certainly wouldn’t start an Eb tune at most of the sessions I frequent.

G’day Nofrets,
I’m not familiar with Petrie’s collection but…….
If you’re on the lookout for tune collections,one that is often overlooked is John Walsh Collection of Pipe Friendly tunes.This book contains over 500 tunes and is set out in a bold and easy to read format.They’re in Flute and Whistle friendly keys too.
Available frome the Seattle Pipers Club for US$34.00
http://www.irishpipersclub.org/
I’ve had this book for years and I use it a lot.It has the well known and not so well known tunes.

The tunes in strange keys (lots of flats or sharps) in Petrie are usually songs that he transcribed from singers. Singers like to choose a particular pitch (and therefore key as far as an instrumentalist is concerned) to suit their voice. The rest are instrumental tunes and are therefore in key signatures most people here are familiar with.

The contents list in volume 1 of Petrie lists the instrumental tunes by type (jig, march, reel etc) , but it’s not exhaustive by any means, so further browsing is indicated. Many tunes don’t have a name, only some indication of where or from whom they were collected. However, some of these gan ainms (Petrie doesn’t use the term) have since been given names and are known to us today in some form or other.

Only of use to people who can glance down a page and immediately read (and hear) a tune.
I can’t really see anyone being a good enough player, to have the patience to sit there and trawl through playing all the tunes on a page.

Needless to say, I have a shelf-full of such collections and enjoy opening a page and lilting down the page (to myself) looking for tunes that might be of use. Any I like, I put a pencil mark in and revisit next time I look through.