Dáimh gig on BBC iPlayer with new trad supergroup

Re: Dáimh gig on BBC iPlayer with new trad supergroup

Sorry, should have mentioned John Joe Kelly there also!

Posted by .

Thanks for posting this T. I saw the exact same line-up including JJ Kelly play under the name of "Moonlighting" at Hammersmith Irish Centre in July last year. The gig was brought forward to a Thursday night at short notice and we nearly didn’t go but I’m so glad we did. It was the first time I had heard John Doyle play and a real treat.

(Off to Hammersmith again tonight where Aidan Burke and Daithi Rua are playing - recommended.)

"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only"

I hate this pointless practice.

‘I hate this pointless practice.’

Not pointless at all - TV-owning residents of the UK have to purchase a licence at a cost of £142.50 p.a to watch programmes legally. One of the BBC’s major sources of income is the sale of its programmes to TV companies in other territories. Apart from some State support, these two combined factors provide the bulk of the BBC’s funding to make its programmes.

The same situation applies to Ireland (where the licence fee is €160) which is why I, for one, get somewhat peeved when people such as the owner of this site publish here ways to bypass the system.

Posted by .

I’m in Scotland, and the only thing I get fed up about is this - if I catch the program ‘live’ on TV I can record it to DVD and keep it to play as and when I like (which I presume is legal) but if I download it in iPlayer it ‘expires’ in 30 days. This eems a bit illogical to me… But maybe this is related to the same issues FTT raises above.

Posted by .

seems!

Posted by .

DAMN NO ONGER AVAILABLE

longer I should say

Hi guys,
sorry that its no longer up. I have to say though, I think it is pointless that people can’t watch shows like this from outside the UK on iPlayer.

I’m Irish living in the UK, and can still watch Geantraí on TG4’s site. I don’t see how someone watching a show from outside the country has any bearing on the licence fee.

RTÉ sold the rights to GAA matches to Setanta to make money showing the matches abroad, so I can see why they block those, but the vast majority of other shows are available to watch in the UK. Should be the same for iPlayer I reckon.

Posted by .

Hey Floss, actually you legally don’t need a TV licence to use iplayer. (yet). And getting peeved with Jeremy who runs such an excellent resource for us all and allows plenty of free discussion here seems ???????

But granted, the BBC need funds to make their programmes…..