Search thesession.org by playing a tune

Search thesession.org by playing a tune

Hi!

Ever wonder what are the names of all the tunes you have in your head? Well now you can find out, just by playing a phrase from any tune into tunepal.org, a free search engine for traditional Irish dance tunes. Tunepal.org has 3 databases drawn from thesession.org, Henrik Norbeck and O’Neills 1001, comprising 11,555 tunes in total. If tunepal.org finds a match from thesession.org, then clicking on the link brings you to the entry for the tune on thesession.org.

http://tunepal.org

tunepal.org is based on my recently completed PhD research and is available online as a free service to traditional musicians. It works really well with "legato" style instruments such as the tin-whistle, flute, concertina, accordion, pipes, fiddle

Feedback welcome!

Re: Search thesession.org by playing a tune

Very cool! I did get an exception error a couple of times after it correctly identified a couple of tunes.

You might include a "clear all" button, just for reassurance (it does reset when you hit Record again).

I’m impressed.

Hi Forest

Thanks for the feedback. Would you mind sending me details of the exception error and how you managed to generate it if you get it again? That shouldnt happen!

Bryan

OK, email sent.

It happened after I OK’ed a candidate (clicked on the smiley). Not the first time I tried a tune, but subsequent times. But the tune ID portion has worked nicely.

Ah, I correct myself. It happens after I click OK in the dialog box thanking me for my input.

I tried several more well-known tunes, with good results. It’s very forgiving of minor mistakes, but gets confused if you swing the rhythm too much. For best results, play the tune like a MIDI. (Sacrilege, I know, but hey it’s for Science….)

Worked like a treat for me, though I just tried some reels on it. Still though, found the names of some tunes i never knew so thats great!

Worked brilliantly for me, Bryan. Well done. Tried some obscure and well known tunes and the database got it correct. 🙂

P.S. Sorry I didn’t make it back to Dublin. I kinda got stuck in Athlone. 🙂

Holy Cow! Wow. Worked with uilleann pipes, Border Pipes, Smallpipes, and fiddle. It’s like playing that 20Q thing:

http://www.20q.net/

But more fun.

Thanks Emily!

I spent a long time making it work on the Mac - even though it looks better on Windows 🙂 due to the way Java is implemented on the Mac.

I fixed the exception thing now Forrest Tucker. Thanks for letting me know. It is meant to "compensate" for tempo deviation and for ornamentation so feel free to play the tune whatever way you prefer!

Bryan

In my case, it’s more likely "pilot error"—I have been playing whistle for it, and I’m not exactly a virtuoso…. 🙂

I tried two tunes that i have been trying to connect to a title a long time now, and I found them both on the first try by playing parts of them on my Low F whistle. This is pure genius. Works like a charm. I have tried successfully 10/10 so far. Looks very promising : )

This isn’t a criticism, I think your program is very cool - I know I’ll use it, but I’m just curious. I tried to do a test by copying some ABC from a text file that I had written after transcribing a tune from ear on the piano. When I tried to Paste the text into the search box nothing happened. Is this something that might be changed in the future? Thanks very much; your work is appreciated!

Posted by .

Wow! This is s-i-m-p-l-y u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e!

Two bits of feedback:

1) I’m using Google Chrome as my browser, and the "Correct?" column (and smiley faces) are half off of the right edge of my screen.

2) Can this ever be done as an iPhone app?

Cheers!

Always good to see advances in MIR. The java applet asked me for elevated permissions (which I didn’t grant). It won’t display at all, there’s just a white panel where I’d assume something should be. Camino, Mac OS X. I’ll try a couple of other browsers.

From a cursory look at the graphic, it looks like it’s octave and duration invariant. Do you have any weighting on your match beyond standard string-distance?

There should be a list of ABC search engines. Between this, mine, JC’s, the Rev’s and what Chris Walshall is no doubt planning, there’s quite a number!

Llig L. will love this - You play a tune into it and it provides you with the sheet music.

Great work!

At a tune learning session last week we learned a slide but the tutor didn’t know that name of it. Not having a microphone on the computer I pasted the ABC to your program. It identified ten possibles - the first listed was the correct one, now known to be Kevin McHugh’s.

This will be an invaluable tool. Thank you!

Fantastic work. Tried a fairly obscure reel and got it in one.

Will be back for more…

I am clearly the one kid in class who doesn’t understand.
How does one get the notes into to the website?
Does this assume a microphone is hooked up to the computer??

Yes, ayedbl, you must have a microphone hooked up (or for laptops, built in) to the computer. Otherwise the application can’t hear you.

Or could you use sound file (wav, mpg etc) stored on the computer? That might be more convenient for some people in that they could record a tune on an mp3 recorder and transfer it to the computer via an usb link.

When I click on the link I get an empty box on the left opposite the instructions. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I just updated Java and rebooted but still no luck.
Thanks
Taminka

Thanks for all your comments. More than 200 queries since I posted the link!

Taminka if you get an empty box, check to make sure you have java installed on your computer. If you are sure you have, then let me know what browser and operating system you are running. You can get it from www.java.com

Joe Wass - nice website! I didnt know it existed. Im going to put a link to all the other search engines on tunepal.org. It requires signing because it needs to access the microphone. It uses edit distance (with a couple of variations), but the magis is in the transcription and preprocessing of ABC files. If you are interested you can read Chapter 6 of my thesis:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/bduggan/downloads/PhD.pdf

ayedbl - You need a microphone connected up, but great idea about offline annotation. I have an offline annotation program called matt2 that I developed for my Phd. It only has 1500 reels and jigs and also it only works on .wav files, but I could improve it pretty easily. Ill keep you posted

Ill investigate the google Chrome problem

Bryan

This sounds wonderful please if you can get it as an iPhone application I for one would gladly pay after all I paid £5 for a tuner on my Iphone. You should get a finantial reward for your endevours.

You’re a genius. Fair play.

I found it works fine with banjo, despite the disclaimers. Very cool! Now, I just wish I could play so many tunes that I end up not knowing or forgotting their names…

What a great combination of interests, leading to a PhD. Reminds me of a Chem Eng student friend back in the day who did his research around home wine making.

Posted by .

That is mental, well played!

Posted by .