Tunes when in peril

Tunes when in peril

As I was striding along the Carn Dearg massif heading toward Ben Nevis last week, the grandure and splendid isolation brought beethoven’s ninth symphony to mind.

However, a few hours later, crossing the Arête, (a 1km long, narrow ridge of rock) in thick mists and with a gale trying to blow me to my doom, I suddenly found myself whistling the Belfast hornpipe. I continued to do so all the way to the freezing top of the mountain and "safety"…

So, what tunes have sprung to mind when your life has been in peril then?

Re: Tunes when in peril

Is it relevant to distuinguish between the sub sets of "peril through no fault of your own," and "deliberatly putting onself in peril"?

Posted .

Apparently the film "Finding Nemo" has scenes containing "mild peril". This could be used to calibrate a perilometer.

Then there was Beryl the Peril.

Perhaps it’s the other way round though sometimes. I probably put myself in peril when playing. Only time will tell; never the least.

Glad you got back safely, by the way. I always did like the Belfast.

Posted by .

I am dissapointed as I thought this thread was about the suggested tunes for the australian cricket team .

I used to roll out of the gate in Ramadi, Iraq singing "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round."

I like that Jason. Nice change of pace from "Ride of the Valkyries". I can see Robert Duval saying "…I love the smell of crayons in the morning…"

Hmm. In peril, as in ‘whistling past the graveyard’?

Was talking politics in bed once with a girl called Margaret and she fell asleep. Found myself whistling Drowsy Maggie as I crept down the stairs.

I know that one. Anyone who’s ever surfed off the front of Napier beach (NZ) which only gets going when it’s big will understand how deadly the undercurrent is. I was trying to make it into shore with a broken surfboard in 15 foot surf and getting dragged back out in less than six inches of water whistling "Follow Me Up to Carlow" (my Granny’s song) thinking this is the last tune I’m ever going to hear.

"Politics"? Was this young lady the Margaret who became our leaderene? Private Eye recommends Ugandan discussions in such circumstances.

Hiking without a watch and losing track of time caused me to end up climbing solo out of the Grand Canyon one moonlit summer night. I didn’t even have a flashlight. My heart was pounding like a bodhran in my ears and throat as I barely found the trail. Instead of a tune running through my head, my mantra became a series of profanities to the rhythm of my bodhran "heartbeat."