ITM and Metal

ITM and Metal

This one’s for the ppl on this site that are also metalheads…

I was experimenting with some Slayer on the box the other day and I was wondering if anyone else has tried "Irishifying" this kind of stuff or if I’m as nuts as I seem to be for messing around like this.

The Beatles, Queen, Paganini, Handel, etc. have all been done by DeDannan…but wouldn’t it be fun to hear something like Cannibal Corpse or Metallica tradded up? 🙂

Posted by .

Re: ITM and Metal

It makes you deaf

Posted .

WHAT?! DOESN’T ANYONE HEAR THAT PHONE RINGING?! SOMEONE ANSWER THE F***ING PHONE!

WHAT FECKIN PHONE? IF THE FECKING FIRE ENGINE WOULD SHUT UP

Posted .

some things are just better left alone……Hello,Hello…freakin prank callers

"I was experimenting with some Slayer on the box the other day…" ..you’re my hero ;)

i kinda thought Pantera on a banjo would be kinda cool…

a number of years back a good friend of mine and I put together a band that played 80s hair metal in the style of pub songs. Our band consisted of guitar, mandolin, tin whistle, banjo and bodhran (banjo and bodhran played by yours truly).

It was a good laugh for sure but I wouldn’t say it was overly sustainable as a musical idea.

Like the power metal guitarists pull on the classical violin styles of guys like Paganini I’m sure you could draw influence from trad modes and melodies to mix into any type of rock or metal style. Just my two cents.

i always thought The Ace of Spuds would be a good tune name.

"The Ace of Spuds" !!!!LMAO!!!! 😀

Hmmm… Lemmy had a guitar player once named "Fast" Eddie Clarke. Eddie left Motorhead to form his own band "Fastway" The singer for "Fastway" was Dave King who later went on to form Flogging Molly!

I always thought the intro to Sweet Child Of Mine would go great on the fiddle…

Lots of EVH riffs would work. Many triplets.

have you heard the bluegrass Metallica? or Dolly Parton’s "Stairway to Heaven?"

There is a guy here who does nice arrangements of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets on a mandolin. Very popular with older folks.

LOL! There have been some funny responses on this thing, as I figured there would be. I was thinking more about thrash, death metal, grindcore, etc. rather than that "c**k rock," hair metal stuff ‘cause I can’t stand most of it. Anyway, Master of Puppets would definitely be a fun one as well as Ride the Lightning. Pantera would also be interesting. Oh, and Steve R., if you’re interested it was the riffs from Angel of Death and Epidemic that I was messing around with🙂

Posted by .

Stonehenge!!!!!

Nobody knew where they came from…

There is a band called Hayseed Dixie who are a bluegrass rock cover group (they began with AC/DC covers, hence the name). The crossover works very well, and I’m pretty sure they do a version of Ace of Spades. Worth having a listen.

We used to do a truncated version of Stairway to Heaven between "Trip to the cottage" and "Tripping up the stairs". That was on the late 80s -early 90s London pub circuit .
And we had versions of Paint it Black, Psycho Killer and a couple of others.
Never got really into HM, so never made it to listen to Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Fetid Stench or any of those guys.

The guy who taught me my first tunes used to play Motorhead on the mandolin, does that count!

I was once involved in a group who did System of a Down’s "Chop Suey" on fiddle, guitar, piano and drums… Great fun!

I’ve always been more of a fan of metal bands doing folk arrangements. (See Cruachan, etc.)

I wouldn’t mind having a go at a bit of Iron Maiden - especially 22 Acacia Avenue.

I always thought Led Zep were a folk group anyway.

Posted by .

Hi dtb,

For some reason I can easily imagine the intro to South of Heaven on the box! I might even spend a bit of time this evening coming up with a decent b part for it!

This Carcass song could definitely be turned into a half decent reel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy-KR4jg5v4

I’ve always thought that there’s lots of similarities between say some of the Eminor and Aminor jigs and galloping metal stuff, say Morrissons Sliabh Russell, or Cathal McConnells!

When I’m playing I sometimes imagine the tunes with really crunchy distortion and lots of triplets and nice Pantera style clicky double bass drums!

Wouldn’t it be great to hear Morbid Angel do a version of Morrissons, in the style of ‘Rapture’, (check out the link!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8WTfPvU_q0&feature=fvst

Posted by .

Oh yeah, John McSherry’s version of ‘The Floating Crowbar’ on Lunasa’s ‘Otherworld’ albums is fairly metal like I reckon.

Posted by .

Every schoolchild knows that testosterone levels vary by musical genre.

If you combine two genres that utilize disparate levels of testosterone then you are playing God.

And lately, if you play God you get elected to the most powerful political position on earth. So, like, go for it dude!

I’d like to see ITM mixed with Mastodon type prog metal

Johnny Doran was doing it before Jimmy Page was born.

Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton playing that version of the AC/DC tune Thunderstruck by Gordon Duncan as mentioned by Kenny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA55Dy—Ubw

Sorry about the sound quality but you get the idea I’m sure. Gordon Duncan was a big AC/DC fan.

I play a lot of Slipknot on the harp.

Re: ITM and Metal and Reggae

Just as an aside, I always thought ‘No Woman, No Cry’ was begging for a reel played along with it.

While not a metal head…. I think it’s always a bit of fun to try and fuse to different kinds of music…. and it seems that ITM can fit with anything

I quite liked Hayseed Dixie, though the novelty soon wore off. ITM fusion things are invariably a disaster to my ears. Look at (or listen to) the Bad Shepherds; funny idea, it’s executed competently and viv from the Young Ones is singing. But if you actually like and understand the tunes it sounds quite horrible. Good live act though, I’m sure. Same goes for the Red Hot Chilli Pipers, hilarious idea, great live, but you wouldn’t want to listen to the album.

Posted by .

Hayseed Dixie play pretty much 100% bluegrass, they just hang it on a heavy metal hook. It’s not a fusion of the two types of music

Posted by .

yeah, I agree.

Posted by .

For more folk metal, check out Suidakra (German band doing Celtic-themed melodic death) Moonsorrow (Finnish group whose music is almost all Scandi folk melodies) Ensiferum (another buncha Finns with more of a power metal feel) and from Ireland, Primordial (very protest-based, not much of the trad melodies, but an amazing and heartfelt sound).

And, lest we forget, the mighty Finntroll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3u86DPd7qc

(And here I thought I’d be the CLOSET metalhead around here! LOL)

I think it was some melodic similarities to metal that got me listening to trad 10+ years ago. Though now I rarely listen to metal unless someone else is playing it. Or unless it’s folk-metal. I kinda like Korpiklaani and a few other similar bands. But I don’t own their cds.

What are y’all on about now?

I want to hear Slayer on the box!

I can play banjo and sing Zeppelin’s "Hey Hey, What Can I Say?" for whatever that’s worth.

‘Bout fifty cents? Twenty-five?