Anyone else get Lyme Disease while at CIAW?

Anyone else get Lyme Disease while at CIAW?

I noticed a bullseye rash about a week after getting home. Never saw the tick. Am currently on antibiotics. I didn’t go hiking or into any woods or fields. Stayed at one of the local motels. Really enjoyed the people and the music but won’t be going next year. The incidence of Lyme is too great in the Hudson Valley. -Kerry

Re: Anyone else get Lyme Disease while at CIAW?

all over the mid- Atlantic region that’s going to be the case. You don’t need to be in the woods. I guess its hard to feel like a civilzed human when you need to check yourself for ticks, but its not a bad idea in the northeast

I’m a deer hunting redneck who lives in the Appalachian mountains, so we don’t think nothin of it, but city folk get surprised that they picked up a tick when they weren’t even in the woods.

Fact is they can get carried into buildings there in town, too

good news is if you get treated for lyme disease at the stage you did there isn’t any long term effects

It’s hard to avoid ticks in Europe (including parts of Britain and Ireland) too, if you engage in any sort of outdoor activity. But I’ve never heard of anyone picking one up indoors in an urban area before - you must have been very unlucky. I’ve picked them up camping and walking in Ireland several times, but I don’t know about the incidence of Lyme disease or other tick-borne diseases there - so far, I’ve suffered nothing more than an itch and the unpleasant task of having to remove the critter.

Well done for catching it early - I hope the antibitotics take care of it.

Eeek.

during the catskills in 2008 I awoke one morning to my poor roomate attempting to burn out a tick… but we’d gone for a stroll in the deep woods the day before, so we didn’t think much of it.

Tell your friend not to use the burning method, as it increases the risk of infection. Just pull it out slowly and carefully.

CIAW is not in an urban area, so it is wise to check yourself. it’s no fault of the festival, nor the motels, it’s just a reality in this part of the country, and is spreading to other areas and is rampant.

I live in the country about three hours from E.Durham, and literally get Lyme disease about 3X a year. To us out here, it’s pretty ho-hum…go to the Dr. get the antibiotics, be done with it. Even if not caught for several months, you take the pills longer. I lost count how many times I had it, but have no lasting effects.

Not everyone gets the rash, I usually do but a time or two didn’t and never saw a tick. I have learened what the syptoms feel like, the aches, and get checked out if that goes on for more than a few days.

The ticks are getting worse and worse it seems. This never used to be a problem.

Don’t let this scare you off the festival, wherever there is grass, there are ticks. I spray my lower pants legs and sneakers with OFF or something similar and don’t worry much, it really seems to work, so bring a can next year.

The first few times you get a tick it seems traumatic, it really is curable if caught fairly early. It’s when you don’t tend to it for a long time, often years, the real trouble can start if it has done nerve damage. Definitely get checked out ASAP, take the pills. Don’t let it go. Also realize it’s unavoidable these days all over the mid Atlantic, to New England to many more places. Apparently other parts of the world now.

in italy they rub a bit of grappa onto the tick before twisting it out, theyre less resistant after a drink,

Just want to add that people should not be using heat or alcohol to try to remove a tick - either of those methods could cause the tick to eject the content of its mouth into the host. The tick should be removed using tweezers, grasping as close to the person’s skin as possible, and gently pulling the tick out.

Munchko is right….take it from the Lyme Disease Poster Girl here!

You can get also from a Vet or Vet supply a little plastic scoop with a slit that lifts them right out, less pain, and rarely if ever leaves the head in. Look under Tick Remover.

PS…. similar to what David_h showed but more like a little spoon.

Hey, we can form a club (although I got mine in Kansas City) - never saw the tick, either, but got the bullseye rash while on vacation in Minneapolis 3 days later. Minute clinics are a godsend - that and all night pharmacies.

Mine was 7.5cm across…how big was yours? 🙂

Eric

I wanted to go to CIAW this year but couldn’t. Had patio problems:( Will go next year despite ticks. BTW, I always used a bit of vaseline on the critters, and they pull themselves out. Works great.

appreciate the feedback Iris. Three X/yr? I guess it’s not as serious as i had heard. There’s a lot of hysteria surrounding it. Maybe I will go next year.

It seems to me that the tick removal techniques and advice described above apply to *wood ticks*.

Please forgive (& correct) me if my knowledge is obsolete, but as I understand it, these are *not* the ticks that transmit Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease is transmitted by *deer ticks* which are much much tinier — about the size of a period ("fullstop" for you folks across the pond). Like this one —> .

This makes it much much harder to spot the ticks that carry and transmit Lyme Disease. Is my knowledge obsolete? Is Lyme now carried & transmitted by *wood ticks* as well?

Kerry Evan wrote, "Never saw the tick." This is far from hard to believe, given what I’ve read/seen about deer ticks.

My daughter and granddaughter have it right now. They didn’t listen to me and spray OFF on their shoes.

it’s old hat out here in farm country. I wish there was something to prevent it, the vaccine gives a fair amount of people Lyme anyway!

Go to CIAW, if you don’t you’ll likely get a tick elsewhere if there is grass around. Just bring the spray. I also stopped wearing sandals, I have gotten them between toes!!

We don’t panic out here about it at all, but it’s a shame kids can’t roll in the grass anymore.

I even got it once in DECEMBER, bulls eye and all! Likely jumped off the dogs.

After returning from my last camping trip to France, I found I had one on my bags.

By bags, I don’t mean things you carry or wear.

Yes, Nicholas - they like to settle in the darkest, dampest crevices, where the blood vessels are closest to the surface. I was host to several of the blighters during a 3 month walk through France.

I have removed countless ticks. Their head have a clockwise screw, the routine is to twist anticlockwise, otherwise the head will be left in the wound. Although rubbing alcohol is used to remove them a sharp anticlockwise twist is essential with or without alcohol.Grip with tweezers and twist while pulling.
Its much easier to remove them once they are big and fat yeuch!.
They will drop off once they are fully engorged.
They crawl up the leg looking for a nice warm patch. Best to remove them once you feel them crawling up.You develop a certain sensitivity to them when you know the area you are in is infested with them.
It is possible to get a very useful tool for this kind of situation; a pair of fine tweezers with magnifying glass attached, but awareness and getting them before they feast is best.

Posted by .

Dog Ticks can carry it too. I have gotten bulls eyes from them. As for the little critters, they can be removed with the scoopy spoon thing with a V cut in it. Or fingernails, try to get as close as possible.

Usually I feel the darned bite! Then I watch it. DOn’t assume if you got a bite you will always get Lyme, you often don’t, I think it’s up to about 40% of ticks now that may carry it, still too much.

Most will come up the leg, but they can drop from trees.

Kerry Evan…please come back to CIAW, you can get a tick anywhere, even in a city from a dog that;s been to the park. One does get paranoid and crazy after round one, but after like 25 times you realize it won’t kill you or cripple you if you catch it in time. You can have a tick tested too if you save it.
Just bring a can of OFF, and some good sneakers. If I do wear open shoes I keep out of the grass. Sometimes you just get them anyway.

They feed on deer, even the dog ticks, ticks of all kinds will eat ANYBODY. Not fussy. With the deer population so overly large (and never mind now the bears are overrunning us in NW New Jersey) so the ticks have lots of hosts.

Take your pills Kerry, and come back next year. If you get it again, you won’t be so disgusted or worried next time.

My brother who lives in the Catskills just got a very nasty case. He was so sick he couldn’t stand on his feet for several days. Extreme weakness and nausea. He is on medication now but the recovery is slow. I guess it affects people in different ways.

I get the aches, dizziness, headaches, like on day one after a bite. I know the particular feel of Lyme even without the rash. It’s like a truck rolled over me. That can happen from whatever anyway, but the aches always for me anyway start at the site of the bite and radiate up and outward. So if on an ankle, it aches there, then the knee, the hip, then to the other side. By then I am usually on the pills anyway.

Eat your yogurt with live cultures while on the pills too, it’ll keeo your friendly bacteria alive.

The pills always upset my stomach… then again I am very sensitive there. As a friend once said, TUMS give her heartburn, I am not so far behind! Do what you must to keep the pills down. If you can’t tolerate one they will give you another.

Have to add my 2c. Here in Austria, we have the honour that 100% of the country is Tick-borne encephalitis-endangered. so wherever you live, be it city or countryside, you should be immunized. Now, of course, you can’t be immunized against Lyme disease, and thus, we live with the possibility of being bitten. Lyme disease, is as mentioned, no danger at all if you be careful, so don’t let it thwart your plans.

Posted by .

It’s interesting to read these varied accounts on ticks and lyme disease. I live abroad now but come from the area where the disease was first diagnosed. Several members of my family who live on Nantucket or go there regularly, have been ill or had some lasting problems due to the disease not being treated, or not on time. It is also possible to have lasting effects due to not doing the antibiotic cure for long enough or not doing the intensive cure. It looks like my husband is having severe symptoms because his cure wasn’t long enough, even though it was the intensive cure.
The trouble with the deer tick (don’t blame the deer, it is now said - any warm blooded mammal can serve as a host), as mentioned above, is the minute size. You really do not feel it crawling and digging in. Here in Europe, another type of tick, larger in size, is carrying Lyme. If I get bitten I feel it. That doesn’t mean that everyone’s going to. The advantage of taking it off before it starts swelling with your blood, is that for the first 24 hours there seems to be no danger of picking up the disease. I have no idea why but I always get mine off within 24 hrs, I hope.
The only way to remove a tick with the least chance of it spouting its poison into you, is to not frighten the tick. You don’t want to put anything on it, not even Grappa or vasaline, and you don’t want to squeeze it. We had one of those flat plastic things but found picking them off the dogs with our finger nails worked better. Until I found a special plastic tick tweezer which clamps around the tick next to the skin, the way our finger nails did if they were long enough. Always twist the tick out by turning counter clockwise.
Although once you’ve got signs of the disease there is no other cure but antibiotics, i would think avoiding being bitten was a better alternative for you, at least. Some people are so frightened they get a cure even if they’ve only been bitten. This really is not necessaey, as a cure years later after 3rd stage symptoms have set in, will cure you too. Personally, I think part of your recovery depends on your state of health, ticks or no ticks.
Last word of warning; if you let yourself be tested for Lyme and the test comes back negative, it’s not certain you don’t have it, it just means you aren’t showing the anti-bodies in your blood, which is what they test. So if the symptoms persist, have yourself tested again at a later date. This happened to a young cousin who screamed all night from fever and pain when he was 5, got tested the next day with a negative result, and had muscle pains for another 5 years before it occured to somebody to test him again!
C. Nicolas

Very informative. But one thing I really believe a tick can transmit in less than 24 hours. Very unusual, but I have taken off a tick that spent no more than three hours tops on me, and I had the bulls eye and a positive test the next day.

It’s not the deers’ fault, they will eat anyone they can find. Still, with the advent of a way larger deer population we are getting more and more Lyme in this area, NJ. I don’t like killing anything, but it does seem quite related.

here ticks are worst in early Spring and again in late Fall. Right now you can avoid them pretty easily if alert. If you mow or do yardwork, a tick check and shower are in order right after. Even if only to wash off the "Off" it’s a good idea.

It’s a shame there is no good vaccine for this. I know one person who got it when first out and got Lyme from it!

A friend of mine got a couple of deer ticks at CIAW but then she was out in the woods picking chanterelles at every opportunity. Was assured that being bitten does not guarantee you will get Lyme disease.

Another menace is the biting spiders that seem to hang around Furlongs! Jackie Daly got a very badly infected leg a couple of years ago, and this year I met a fellow that had been bitten in the arm, requiring medical treatment.

yes, not every tick carries Lyme. You have to look for the red ring to appear around the bite, which is the sign that you have been infected. No red ring, no infection and nothing to worry about.

I too awoke in 2008 to a poor roommate who had a tick, but had gone for a walk in the woods the day before, and so didn’t really worry about it. What are the chances Alison?

Irisnevins - are your red rings always at the site of the bite ?

Thanks Random. It includes "Some patients develop additional EM lesions in other areas of the body after several days". I asked the question because I was told here in the UK by a doctor that a rash need not be around the bite but he was not clear (but was going to find out) if that was "instead of" or "as well as".

"Another menace is the biting spiders that seem to hang around Furlongs! "

eeep! i was thinking of booking a room at furlongs for next year, but after that post, forget about it!

My rash was always at the site of the bite. You don’t always have to get the rash. It may take more in some areas…I got no rash between the toes that time, but got Lyme anyway. My daughter has it and never got a rash but did have a bite on the ankle.

Biting Spiders? Are you sure they are at Furlongs? Who or how many got a bite? It can be very nasty. I never heard about any bites there this summer, and spent a fair amount of time at Furlongs.