Upload - Michael Gorman

Upload - Michael Gorman

For your weekend delectation here’s another out-of-copyright recording from the Peter Kennedy archives.

This one was recorded some 57 years ago and features the Sligo-born fiddler Michael Gorman playing solo and recounting tales about his early musical experiences and learning.

Since this was copied from a cassette there’s no separation between the tracks, though you can find a listing here - http://www.folktrax-archive.org/menus/cassprogs/077.htm.

Here’s the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d827119229fd164cd2db6fb9a8902bda

Posted by .

Re: Upload - Michael Gorman

Wow, nice find, thanks for posting this.

And thank you too, Marklar, for being the only one of the 47 downloaders in the first hour to acknowledge the upload!

Posted by .

Thanks very much again, Floss. Wonderful!

Floss: go raibh mille maith agat.

I would be in bliss if I was living in Leitrim. Unfortunatley, I’m in humid Ottawa

thanks Floss takes along time to upload on my steam powered machine

Is this the same Michael Gorman who use to play with Maggie Barry in London in the fifties/sixties?

Thanks much, Flossie, you’re a star!

Thanks especially for posting the names of the tunes…although I think a few might be missing…will have to listen again…

cheers, thanks for your stirling efforts here

Thanks, Floss the Tethers, as usual you’ve provided something great.

Brilliant as always FTT - Sligo is my favorite of all Irish fiddle styles although they’re all great music, and I’d despaired of ever getting my hands on this and other FolkTrax. Can’t thank you enough!

Here’s my interpretation of the tracks; Kennedy’s listings are jumbled around a bit, and he inexplicably leaves out the Merry Sisters entirely; also threw in some more common titles for a tune or two:

01 - Michael Gorman - Intro
02 - Michael Gorman - Tipperary Hills
03 - Michael Gorman - The Merry Sisters (slow)
04 - Michael Gorman - The Merry Sisters (fast)
05 - Michael Gorman - Farrel O’Gara
06 - Michael Gorman - Dr Gilbert
07 - Michael Gorman - The Jolly Tinker
08 - Michael Gorman - Miss McLeod’s
09 - Michael Gorman - Bonnie Kate
10 - Michael Gorman - Gannon’s Barn Dance
11 - Michael Gorman - The Irish Mazurka
12 - Michael Gorman - Talk
13 - Michael Gorman - Polka Mazurka (Varsovienna)
14 - Michael Gorman - Veleta
15 - Michael Gorman - Lancers Fig 1 (Quadrille Jig)
16 - Michael Gorman - Jenny Lind Polka
17 - Michael Gorman - Quadrille Jig
18 - Michael Gorman - The Mouse in the Cupboard (Merry Old Woman)
19 - Michael Gorman - The Lancers (last figure)
20 - Michael Gorman - Talk about the Lancers
21 - Michael Gorman - The Lancers (last figure) (again)
22 - Michael Gorman - Talk about the music of Sligo and life in Scotland and England
23 - Michael Gorman - O’Dwyer’s Hornpipe
24 - Michael Gorman - Talk about playing the fiddle
25 - Michael Gorman - Bonnie Kate (demonstration of variation)
26 - Michael Gorman - Tell Her I Am (demonstration of variation)
27 - Michael Gorman - Tell Her I Am (fast)
28 - Michael Gorman - Kid on the Mountain (slow, parts one at a time)
29 - Michael Gorman - Kid on the Mountain (fast)
30 - Michael Gorman - Talk about slip jigs and hop jigs
31 - Michael Gorman - Tipperary Hills (again)

I named track 15 The Lancers as that is what Healy and Duffy called it, on the Sligo Champion record it’s "Untitled Tune In Six-Eight," although Reg Hall wrote the liners for both recordings; also listen to brilliant Wisconsin fiddler Leizime Brusoe play it in 1937: http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/WebZ/FETCH?sessionid=01-37075-1722932295&recno=21&resultset=2&format=F&next=html/nffull.html&bad=error/badfetch.html&entitytoprecno=21&entitycurrecno=21

Beatiful morning downunder. Just up and downloading it now. Thanks again Floss.

Thanks, Floss!

‘preciate it, Floss

thankee - I’m looking forward to hearing these.

especially the "slow parts one at a time" of kid on the mountain.

more of the same please!

Posted by .

Great stuff. GRMA Floss!

this is really great stuff, floss. thanks for making it available to all of us. and thanks to you as well, kevin, for coming up with the track listings.

FtT, thanks - much appreciated.

Good man there, Floss.

Good stuff - I’ll have to learn that sixth part he’s got there for Kid on the Mountain…

Huh! That sixth part is in O’Neill’s, Michael had a few notes different though. His student John Vesey didn’t play it - but Andy McGann did, as featured on the radio program Andy McGann Remembered - I think that was on Peter Browne’s Rolling Wave show, if you want to dig it up. Coleman didn’t play it, or Morrison/Ennis.

Hang on, McGann recording coming in shortly.

OK, try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=46a5dc240b94a254c79b87b207592a1ce04e75f6e8ebb871

More great work Floss - many thanks. Got any old Joe Cooley recordings hanging around?

Of those 47 downloaders who jumped in early. Could some of them be your very vocal detractors of recent times. I suspect so.
Thanks again floss for a very interesting recording.

Thanks.

Much appreciated. My thanks also.

Posted by .

Thanks for the up load, it’s great to hear the old recordings.

I would appreciate your assistance and wondered if you could shine some light on the following - There are a couple of old recordings that I have difficulty in locating (that have not been re-released by the record company in any format) - Solo fiddle recordings of Josephine Keegan that were released in the 1970’s?

Thank you Floss the Tethers. I am a bit of a non-techie, but your posting of this has been the catalyst for me learning how to download to Realplayer and burn an audio CD, so thank you very much. Also thanks to Kevin Reitmann for the tune list.

Haven’t listened yet, as just started downloading, but many thanks for providing all these wonderful recordings!

Downloading now, and looking forward to listening to it on my Sunday morning drive to our tune-learning session. Thanks for the recording, Floss, and thank you, Kevin for the contents list.

Floss,

Many thanks for the upload. It’s wonderful to hear these older recordings!

Jeff

Cheers Floss. Great stuff.

Mile buiochas !! Top Man !!

Having read the article I see that the answer to my previous query is ‘Yes’. According to the article Michael Gorman was born in 1902, but Wikipedia gives his date of birth as 1896. Back in the days of the Favourite pub in the sixties, I remember seeing an elderly gentlemen doing a bit of Séan Nos dancing. I seem to remember that he was called Old Mick Gorman. Incidentally, the man I’m thinking of could be the same dancer pictured (back to camera) outside the Favourite, and featured on the sleeve of the ’ Paddy in the Smoke’ record. I often wondered if it was the same Gorman man who played with Maggie Barry.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2581/3778200175_5467f0eff4_o.jpg

To clarify.
That is … Michael Gorman fiddler recorded with Maggie Barry
Not……. Not that the old fella in photo is the fiddler.

Many thanks for all the kind comments - very much appreciated.

And a five-star thank you to Kevin for listing all the tracks.

There’ve been some 220 downloads so far, an astonishing figure which eclipses anything I’ve uploaded previously.

Anyone wanting more Michael Gorman should head immediately to the superb Topic double album ‘The Sligo Champion’ (Topic TSCD525D) which is worth every cent or penny. I wrote a lengthy and appreciative review of this which can be found on the Musical Traditions site - http://www.mustrad.org.uk/.

I’ll put up a 1956 recording of Michael and Margaret Barry shortly and there’ll be more gems to follow.

Posted by .

Thanks Floss, I haven’t been on the site much recently but posts like yours are what make it all worth while. I’m looking forward to hearing from you again. 🙂

Thanks Floss & Kevin - Chris

This is so useful. Thanks very much for making it available.

Peter