Kane Sisters / Noel Hill jig ID ?

Kane Sisters / Noel Hill jig ID ?

A fiddle player in our session learned this jig recently from the Kane Sisters, but couldn’t remember the name they gave it. Two weeks ago I heard it again, this time from Noel and Aisling Hill (the Willie Clancy concertina recital). Reverend’s tune finder has come up empty. Anyone have a name for this one?

X:1
T:Gan Ainm
M:6/8
L:1/8
R:jig
K:D
|:DFA BAF|DFE F2E|DEF ABA|DFD E2F|
DFA BAA|BAB d2e|fed BdA|BAF E3:|
ABc ded|DFA BAF|ABc d2e|fed B2d|
AFA Bdd|DFA d2e|fed BdA|BAF E3:|

Re: Kane Sisters / Noel Hill jig ID ?

Actually, look in the comments of that tune. Dow posted a setting called An Seanduine Doite, which is nearly identical to yours…

That’s very much the setting of An Sean Duine Dóite as I learned it from Yvonne Kane.

That’s it, definitely, thanks. My mistake was submitting only the A-part to Reverend’s tune finder. Had I plugged in portions of the B-part, I would have had a match, albeit weak, with this tune.

Yeah, I usually try submitting both the A and B parts separately. I might think about getting rid of the "Show More Results" button, because nobody ever uses it.

But you’ll notice that if you submit both the A and B parts, it has The Burnt Old Man listed in the top 5 or 6 hits for both parts, which is a pretty good indicator of a good match, even if the "match confidence" isn’t high.

The problem is that I wrote the tune search, so I know all the little tricks for using it… Maybe I should write better instructions 😛

The instructions are fine, I think you’ve already mentioned many of the little tricks. Some of us are just too lazy to use them, however. I, for example, hate writing out ABC, so I tend to submit the tiniest snippet I can get by with, often the first two bars of a tune’s A-part —- and it usually works! But this time my sloth didn’t pay off.