Feckin’ eejits!!!!

Re: Feckin’ eejits!!!!

Well, it’s not like they roughed him up or anything, as far as I can tell they treated him well. Even when you’re a legend, you can’t expect everyone in the world to know who you are. Young people these days wouldn’t have much of any exposure to Dylan’s music unless from their parents.

I just thought it was hilariously funny is all.
🙂

Yeah, it’s kind of funny. I doubt that Dylan took any offense, he probably thought it was funny too. But the cops were just doing their jobs.

if i’m walking down a public street minding my own business i would prefer the local police to do the same. the idea that i must produce proof of identity on the whim of the police does not sit well with me. the fact that these youngsters didn’t know dylan’s face is immaterial, if amusing.

True, but the police were responding to a call, they didn’t have much choice. The real tw*t in this little episode is the person who called the cops on someone walking down the road minding his own business.

Mind you, if they were not really aware of what Bob Dylan looked like then the guy saying his name is Bob Dylan may have made him seem like a smart-ass - same as if he said he was Napoleon or something!

Yeah, it could have been worse.

Officer: Sir, what is your name?

Dylan: Bwaub Zwheelin.

Officer: Could you repeat that?

Dylan: Iz zez zas Bwub Bweelen.

Officer: Sir, have you been drinking?

On the side wall of a local shop in Crouch End, in North London, is a large mural including a picture of Dylan, from whose mouth comes the speech bubble "Do you know who I am ?". Seems he went into a local cafe and asked for an alcoholic beveridge, and when they explained that they didn’t have a licence for this, this was his response.
It’s tough at the top.

…the times they are a changin’….

I read this without watching the clip and I’m reluctant to view it now in case it’s not as good as my imagination. Desolation Row, must have been the street, no? yea, thought mine was better.

sing along

…..Thats the story of the hurricane,
But it wont be over till they clear his name
And give him back the time hes done.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been
The champion of the world.

A possible response to "Do you know who I am ?" (depending on the circumstances and the size of questioner) could be "No. Do you ?"

He should have replied that he was a traveling wilbury.

This wasn’t Starkville, was it? No, wait, that’s Johhny Cash.

Topical Joke: Just in case someone hasn’t hear it.

Teacher. What’s your name Son.
Young Lad: Dylan sir.
Teacher: Ah! called after Bob Dylan I suppose?
Young Lad: No sir.
Teacher: Then it must be Dylan Thomas, the Welsh writer?
Young Lad: No Sir.
Teacher: So..who are you called after then?
Young Lad: D’uilleann Pipes sir..

at least the caption writer had the wit to write that he was treated "like a complete unknown"
When they asked him what he was doing on the pavement, did he say "Thinking about the government?"

I must admit that in all my travels I’ve only ever been stopped twice and asked for ID by police, and that was in Austin Texas when I was committing the highly-suspicious act of *walking* along the street

Posted by .

"I don’t think she was familiar with his entire body of work…"

Anyone familiar with the entire body of Dylan’s work would probably be too unhinged to do her job. Just as well there are still some squares left, eh!

I like the thought of Dylan peacefully wandering round some desolate urban hole looking like the grungier preambles to the Channel 4 news, growing gracefully into aged hobo-hood and unmolested by adherents. It surprises me that the police were so near and menace from the natives so lacking. I still have this ingrained notion from about 1970 that poorer districts in the USA were places where the cops never went and a straying stranger would disappear for ever - i.e., what chunks of Britain are like now. I dare say the US law enforcers have achieved a bit since 1970…

When I play the box in the house it’s so bad that the woman next door phones the police.

"I still have this ingrained notion from about 1970 that poorer districts in the USA were places where the cops never went and a straying stranger would disappear for ever -"

that’s what some folks call Detroit.

yes we eat the weak here

No country for scruffy old men.

I was a scruffy young man when I got picked up

Posted by .

WE have ‘lists’ here in the States for everything….Vestiges of the fascists we had running our last government.

You don’t know you’re on them until you get met by a a couple of federal marshals complete with bald heads, black tees, jack boots and side arms (usually in Detroit)….and they proceed to yell at you in front of the other passages about your not respecting what they are doing for the cause of public safety.

The local cops have been pushing the edges of tht envelope.

Maybe he told won of them he was a singer and they said ‘prove it and sing me a tune’. Probably good enough for a trip to Cairo or the Eastern block in an unparked CIA jet stream

Sorry for the politics. I usually try not to get into it here, but I needed some backdrop for the joke!

rim shot please

’ told one of them’

‘unmarked CIA gulfstream jet’

Glad I dropped in on this thread. It will rank as one of my top all time reads!

…you must go now, take what you need you think will last
but whatever you wish to keep, you’d better grab it fast…

>>
When I play the box in the house it’s so bad that the woman next door phones the police.
>>

They finally passed that law against accordions??

I, too, missed out on the Sixties, so I don’t know who this man is.

But I wonder if the police were guilty of profiling him in that particular neighborhood?

Oh, right - they can’t be.

He’s not a Harvard professor…

Sheesh.

Posted by .