All Ireland Fleadh for the North?

All Ireland Fleadh for the North?

"COMHALTAS CEOLTÓIRÍ Éireann is considering a historic move to host Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann in Northern Ireland, according to director general Senator Labhrás Ó Murchú." - Irish Times 25/08/09

What do you think? Where do you think? Its about time I say but please don’t have it in Warrenpoint - there is hardly a drop of traditional culture in the place and amusements, chip-vans, fights and disco music will be the order of the day.

Where else would be suitable? - I think Ballycastle maybe? Any suggestions?

I hear its in Cavan next year - creeping ever so slowly to the border!!!!

Re: All Ireland Fleadh for the North?

Heard Cavan dropped there bid for next year, on Sunday night at the Fleadh we were hearing Ballina, also Sligo and Killkenny, who knows where it will be???

I know for a fact that the Catherdral Quater in Belfast has been closely looked at for a venue .After the tall ships a couple of weeks ago moves weres et in m otion with help from several Belfast City Councillors to get backing.The idea is to seal of Bridge Street/Donegal street towards to Lagan and Waterfront Halls with pubs ,gig rigs and open air concerts.

I heard that 2012 is a possible date but some are pushing for 2011 if Cavan fails to materalise.

Cavan are 4 gettin it…well that was the talk all week at the fleadh…I hope they don’t though…Even the Cavan people were saying it will be a bad spot…I did see a few people walking around in comhaltas ”Let Cavan Suprise You” t-shirts though!

Omagh would be a good spot to host it all going well. There’s plenty of tradition round Omagh too.

I would love to think that Belfast could demonstrate enough maturity to have a cultural event such as the fleadh but alas i would fear the worst.

The capital is like a cultural citadel with too much at stake and i’m not sure either side is willing to show enough tolerance of the other to allow the fleadh to take place in the spirit that it should.

Ballycastle is a great shout for the fleadh, good size plenty of bars, plenty of music there already.

Omagh?

I know a Traditional group that was touring the North recently & only SIX people turned out to their Concert in Omagh! …. not a good sign!

I just can’t picture a Fleadh working too well in a big city like Belfast, myself!

I agree, Ballycastle is by far the best Co. Antrim town for the job, but would they want it?
They never used to get much of a crowd in Ballycastle for the Fleadh Agus Rince, that was held there for many years.

How about Cookstown, after all, that’s right slap bang in the middle!

There are very few places in The Six Counties which have the tourism infrastructure to cope with a major event like the Fleadh.

Belfast and Derry are obviously two which could, but I’d be very surprised if CCÉ backtracked on its policy of avoiding major conurbations as a venue (Dublin, almost 40 years ago, was the last one) unless, of course, a big financial carrot was dangled in front of Larry’s nose.

Ballycastle’s way too small (with a population just over 5,000 according to the 2001 census). I can’t imagine that Omagh would ever be interested and it’s real Country and Irish territory, though it does have an active CCÉ branch.

Two places that are big enough and do have the facilities are Armagh and Enniskillen, but would either town be interested?

Posted by .

Generally speaking Cavan is a well laid out town and nearly all on the flat. Great for humping a heavy instrument around the pubs. This is the only street with any kind of a slope, and the B&B in the picture seems central enough

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2502/3857100842_3040e466d3_o.jpg

Cathedral quarter would be ideal. One poster doesn’t credit Belfast with enough maturity. Yet I think It would be the influx of culchies that would found be lacking in that regard. Reference The Holylands Hillbilly Hoedown 17th Mar 09

Anywhere…but Cavan

Hey, the Fiddler of Oriel always works well in Monaghan town, maybe that’s the place in Ulster for it?

What do you mean ‘Anywhere…but Cavan’???
How about …Kabul then? The Fleadh would go like a bomb there!

Alright if I’m honest I’ll go any where for the fleadh , but I can’t imagine Cavan emulating the sucess of Tullamore, its a small town, but I suppose Tullamore was unique

*Ballycastle’s way too small (with a population just over 5,000 according to the 2001 census)*

LOL - where I live, that’d be considered a major conurbation !! You can have a great festival without pubs and hotels … or houses for that matter. It’s what we do here in France. The organising committee picks a village and basically builds the equivalent of an olympic village in an adjacent field. Everyone turns up, has a ball for a few days, then tey all go away and do it again somewhere else a couple of weeks later. The last one I was at had a resident population of 4 (four - not including cows) increased to 30.000 for five days. Three days to set up the rigs, dance floors, beer tents, food tents, ticket office, etc, two days to take it all down again. Sessions last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours, and serious drinkers don’t bother to come because the forces of Law and Order can keep order instead of directing traffic seeing as there’s no town to clog up. Small is beautiful! 🙂

The "infrastructure" is the key here, such as beds.

In the North only Belfast, Derry, Newcastle and Enniskillen are capable of hosting a trade union conference requiring 400 beds.

Those I admit would be hotel beds. But could Belfast accommodate thousands of visitors? Where would you camp?

Hard to say really.

May be the army have one going spare these days? BB

It was in the Ulster Herald a few weeks back saying that Sinn Fein councillors in Omagh were encouraging the district council to back the local CCE in a bid to host the Fleadh. They reckoned that Omagh would get hosting it within 5 years. It’ll be interesting to see if they do.
I think Omagh would be a great place to host it.

The cathedral quarter in Belfast would also be brilliant. It was great for the recent open house festival. Maybe though, we’re still a few years off yet from it getting a good reception in the city. Also can’t think of a good camping location other than public parks.

Posted by .