Upload - Michael and John Doherty

Upload - Michael and John Doherty

Here’s another one for you - http://www.mediafire.com/file/tijjmmyyzmn/Michael & John Doherty - Fiddler and the Fairy (Folktrax FSA073).mp3.

The first half of this tape transfer consists of recordings of Mickey Doherty made by Alan Lomax in 1951 (including possibly the wildest version of ‘The Fox Chase’ you’ll ever hear) and the second of Peter Kennedy’s recordings of John Doherty from 1953.

The track listing and further details can be found here - http://www.folktrax-archive.org/menus/cassprogs/073doherty1.htm, though I’ve switched around the two sides of the cassette.

It’s a great shame that the 1949 CBÉ recordings of Mickey (issued as ‘The Gravel Walks’) have never resurfaced in CD format, so I may set my mind to those next.

Posted by .

Re: Upload - Michael and John Doherty

Sweet! I just got finished reading a long book chapter on John Doherty. Timing couldn’t be better - thank you thank you! Going to go download now…..

I have got the others and I am looking forward to this one.

Many thanks.

Floss the Tethers, you are significantly upgrading my musical library. Many many thanks!

This file is now password-protected. Please send me a PM if you’d like to download it.

Posted by .

Fantastic stuff. Thanks very much Floss. \

There was a track of John Doherty playing ragtime uploaded for a few days a good while back. Does anybody know who has that??

Wow. More wonderful music.

Thanks

Dan

Many thanks.
John

is this password protected?

Thanks Floss! great playing, and I love the stories!

Hey, a first - got a copy of this years ago. But never mind that - thanks again for letting us all have a shot at hearing it, FTT!

Johnny and Mickey Doherty - The Flowers Of Edinburgh
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - An Muiltin (the Little Sheep)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Paddys Rambles
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Easter Snow
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Seilg A Mhadaiaidh Ruaidh (the Fox Chase)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - The Wee Weaver
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Biddy From Muckros (march, Hornpipe)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - The Poor Boy And Millionaires Daughter (story)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Casadh An Tsugain
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - The Girl That Was Too Smart For The Fiddler
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - The Fiddler And The Fairy
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - St Colmkille And The Rope Of Hay
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - Peter Street (reel)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - St Colmkille And The Three Week Sleep (story)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - (a) The Hare And Hounds (b) The Foxhunters Jig (descriptive Piece)(a) The Hare And Hounds (b) T
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - St Colmkilles Two Curses (stories)
Johnny and Mickey Doherty - (a) Mrs Mcleods (b) The Broken Bridge (reels On Fiddle)

And in the usual spirit of fair’s fair, here’s John at the Golden Gate, Carrick, Co. Donegal, May 22, 1974: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?uoyc5zyjdyz

"There was a track of John Doherty playing ragtime uploaded for a few days a good while back. Does anybody know who has that??"

Dunno about ragtime but my tape has JD doing the grandest of jobs on Colonel Bogey! Will make you want to refuse to work with the enlisted men tout suite. Not sure who’s backing John up on the guitar. My friend Tom Wilsbach made this tape, also provided the titles for me - John was mixed up about which Scott Skinner hornpipe was which; I got the tape back when it was all pipes pipes pipes and more pipes for me, and I hadn’t much familiarity with fiddle tunes.

This tape also sports his playing of the old Frank O’Higgins 78 medley of Kitty’s Gone A-Milking/The Dogs Among the Bushes/The Merry Sisters. Frank was popular in Donegal, they say.

I recently had the pleasure of meeting and playing with John nephew, Mick Doherty, at national folk festival in Canberra Australia. he’s lived in Perth for many years and is a seriously interesting and genuine guy. And a monster of a fiddler too. Can definately hear the similarities in their styles 🙂

Thanks a million Kevin, thats exactly what i was trying to describe. Fantastic stuff.

Wow, thanks, Kevin! Looking forward to listening to this tonight.

Excellent! I’m a huge fan of John Doherty, this is great! Thanks to both of you.

That would be Sean Byrne from Teelin on guitar on the Carrick recording.

Thanks Floss and Kevin for these great recordings.

More great stuff, Kevin! Thanks.

Thanks for the track listing, Kevin, but I think I should clarify that it’s just John on the first eight tracks and Mickey on the remainer (and my upload has swapped these around for the simple reason that the cassette was at the beginning of side two when the transfer started).

Many thanks too for The Golden Gate upload. John would have been 78 or 79 by then (and even he didn’t know exactly the year of his birth).

Posted by .

Thank you once again, Floss the Tethers, and thank you also Kevin. Great stuff.

This is very much appreciated. Thank you both.

Posted by .

Thanks Floss. And thanks Kevin

the Docherty’s playing and repertoire and great.

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

Thank you again, Floss and Kevin. Wonderful stuff!

Floss and Kevin, Thanks for sharing these great recordings -

For those wondering why lonannas has thanked only Kevin, the reason’s simple. I refused to give him (aka Tradpiper/Jig/Hard to Pin Down and numerous other aliases, but real name Will Evans) the password.

Posted by .

Thanks for this; really interesting material.

While I’m here with so many well informed members on the Doghertys, could I pose a related question;
Were the Dohertys travelling musicians or Travellers who played music? I’m doing research into Irish Travellers and ITM.
many thanks in advance

Tommy,

The Dohertys were travelling musicians of Traveller stock. The male branch of the family’s special craft was tinsmithery. Mickey and his wife had nine children so he tended not to wander too far from home. John never married and his beat , according to Caoimính MacAoidh, ‘extended from Ballybofey up through Fintown down into Glenties, on to Ardara [his birthplace] and into Glencolmcille, heading back to Ballybofey through Carrick, Teelin and Kilcar.’

Posted by .

Floss,
many thanks for this. I will be doing some indepth work on them later in the year.

"This file is now password-protected. Please send me a PM if you’d like to download it."

What’s a "PM"?

PM = personal message. However, you can still send me any Prime Minister of your choice, if you’d prefer to do so.

Posted by .

Does anyone know where I might look to find the old tapes and records of Mickey and John for sale? I once found a very old listing for a vinyl record but it had been long since sold before I found it. I can’t imagine sending an email to the folks at Topic Records and begging for an mp3 release would be very successful, either.

I already have "The Celebrated Recordings," "Bundle and Go," and "The Floating Bow" but I don’t have a single album with Mickey Doherty on it. I’ve read both here and elsewhere that these Folktrax recordings are very good and I would very much like to hear them!

Isn’t Mickey Doherty on some of the compilations of Donegal fiddle music ? A friend of mine gave me a cassette recording of some of the Dohertys from an old EP recording, I believe - only 2 or 3 tracks, I seem to remember. I’ll see if I can track them down for you. There is also a "Donegal fiddle association", but with a Gaelic title - shouldn’t be too hard to track down. They would almost certainly have some recordings of him - whether they would be willing to share them, I don’t know. Also, did you try asking Comhaltas ?
Best of luck in your search. Kenny

Posted by .

I am familiar with the Cairdeas na bhFidileiri and have bought a few albums from them in the past. I haven’t seen any of the Folktrax recordings on their website though.

They also have a youtube channel called "DonegalFiddleMusic" where they have learning-by-ear video lessons from a few Donegal fiddle players. Learning by ear is still a skill I am trying to work on…