Slide or Polka.

Slide or Polka.

On the album ‘The Celts Rise Again" after the song, ‘The KIng of Ballyhooley’, Patrick Street goes into a tune I really like.
Can someone tell me if it is a slide or a polka, and maybe it’s name?

Thanks Mark

Posted by .

Re: Slide or Polka.

How can you mix up slides and polkas? I’m dumbfounded

Posted .

It’s not a polka. Seem to remember it was a 6/8 double jig, but I’d need to hear the recording again. Don’t think it had a name - it was just a tune they made up to stick on the end of the song.

Posted by .

Illg, not everyone is born knowing these things.

At first I thought it was a jig to, but then a friend of mine could not dance a jig to it but thought it had more a polka kind of feel to it ,and danced a polka to it. She has not been doing to much irish dancing, only a couple of times I think so maybe she got things mixed up. When I was listening to it again I thought it sounded like a slide. Thanks Kenny, I thought it would be something like that.

Posted by .

"How can you mix up slides and polkas? I’m dumbfounded!

Just by not remembering which is which - like not remebering which is a coot and which is a moorhen.

…of course, I know my coots from my moorhens. But I had to learn.

Or counting 10 fingers instead of 2 thumbs and 8 fingers! :-)

Can’t help you, I only know that song from their album, and I don’t think they go into a tune after.

Polkas - They go POL-ka POL-ka
Slides - Thhey go ‘blah dithery dump a doodle, scattery idle fortunoodle’

How can you mix up coots and moorhens? I’m dumbfounded!

You don’t need to learn their names, they look completely different

Posted .

Coots are much older than moorhens.

What? Just ‘cause they’re bald?

Posted .

Ha. Not necessarily! Perhaps cootishness is relative after all.

"This bird is often called a moor-hen and she goes to the moors sometimes. But Water-hen is her better name.

And now, if there is a large lake or session anywhere near, you will see the water-hen there, and another bird, which you may think is the same, for she jerks her head and dives just in the same way. But if you look you will see that this second bird has not got a red forehead, but a large, bald patch on its head, and it is larger than the water-hen.

It is a bird called the coot, and often the "bald-headed coot," because of its bald patch. If you see one at an Irish session or on the bank feeding on seeds or insects, you will notice that it has a wavy skin round each if its three front toes , though they are not joined together.

But the coot is not easy to see, for she is very shy. She runs up a tree, or dives under water, before you can get near her. She has sharp claws, which help her to climb, and which will hurt you if you catch her alive.

How do you get a coot or a moorhen to tell you its name?

(Though to be fair, I’ve never tried something as obvious as asking politely.)

Round here in Oxfordshire a moor is a marsh, swamp or bog type thing. (As in Otmoor, which is quite large and famous as such things go.)

Moor hen? Water hen? Or when I was kid, Water chicken. For their eggs are a tasty treat. Never eaten a coot’s egg though. Maybe I’d Wrail against it?

Posted .

Moorhen is widely held to be a corruption of mere-hen.

But that is by people who understand moor to mean upland heather moor. In fact moor used to mean any open uncultivated land - such as might indeed hold pools and be inhabited by moorhens.

haha, sorry Bark. This thread is now about moorhens.

yes but are they slide moorhens or polka moorhens?

Jig moorhens. In boots.

Observation…

Cooties go flubber-doggilly-wan-kang-a-bongo.
Crabs go best in a chilli sauce.
I’ve even seen a great grebe (sadly un-cooked) on the Thames (Kingston).
What’s the most difficult double slide polka salsa tune to play on the pipes? (and where is the recipe?)
Can aquatic avines do it?
I never guessed so much ornithological insight could be gained from a bunch of diddley diddley-ers!
Which human parasite or water bird makes the best ITM instrument? A shaved parrot in a glass dome?
Bald as a coot but happy.
Queer as a coot but happy.

It’s often possible to re-write a jig (esp a single jig) as a polka, or vice versa.

"How can you mix up coots and moorhens? I’m dumbfounded!

You don’t need to learn their names, they look completely different"

But you still have to remember which name goes with which. And you do need to learn their names if you want to talk about them. I have no doubt that Bark can tell the difference between a slide and a polka by listening. He/she just wants to know which name goes with which.

By the way, I heard Patrick Street playing The King of Ballyhooley a few days ago at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival. They didn’t play any tune after it, though, on this occasion. Great gig, just a shame we didn’t get to hear a bit more of John Carty’s fiddle on its own. Nothing against the venerable Mr. Burke, but he has the stronger tone, whilst Carty, to my ear, plays more interesting music.

I’ve got a blind spot when it comes to Silver Spear/Silver Spire. I’m forever confusing the names.

How can you mix them up ?
The Silver Spear ,a bonny american lass who play the pipes better than she thinks and posts on here regularly and the other one is the pointy bit on a church .
Simple

Ah, but it’s my internal database trying, without permanent success, to line up the right name with the right tune.

Cheers, Dave.

If some one sets them up I will always deliver the punch line :-)

From now on I’m going to call them both "The Silver Pointy Thingy".

Thanks, for the name of the tune reenactor.
And of course all the info about birds by the rest of you.

Posted by .