Advice needed on buying Castagnari Dinn or Kriss boxes

Advice needed on buying Castagnari Dinn or Kriss boxes

I’m ready to spend a large amount, if necessary, to get a 2-row B/C box that will help improve my playing (I’ve less than 2 yrs on the box), and possibly last me for many years. I’ve been asking friendly box players wherever I can find them (mostly online here as there is only 1 other B/C player within 2500 km of me and he has no experience beyond his lovely old Paolo). From reading online I’m keen on the tone and quality build of the Castagnaris and tend towards the Kriss III because a)the extra reed whether L or M would give me a little flexibilty and variation in sound, and b) I understand the buttons are larger (like the Paolos) and slightly more spaced than the Dinns. I’m a fairly hefty bloke, so the extra weight of the 3 reeds doesn’t seem an issue.

I’d particularly appreciate any experiences people have had of the Keanebox - a version of the Castagnari Kriss III badged for James Keane of NY (http://www.jameskeane.com). These seem well priced though I’m still unclear about what the bass register does if it isn’t removing thirds. Anything about the Dinns would be great too - seen a few comments that the Dinn III is too mild-mannered, and the Dinn II too small/unfeatured if this is my one big buy.

Of course if you think the Castas are rubbish or poor value etc and have other suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers
Martin

Re: Advice needed on buying Castagnari Dinn or Kriss boxes

I may not respond immediately to replies for a while as I’m in West Australia and it’s getting late!

I play A Kriss IV, which would be a step heavier again than the III - it is too heavy for many folks’ comfort, but like you I’ve got a strong set of shoulders. They are great instruments. Can you get a LMM Kriss III? That would sound nice. I invariably play my box with MMM and leave off the L reed. It just seems a little intrusive when playing with a fiddle or flute.

I do find Dinns just a little bit pokey, but I think I’d get used to it. I don’t have huge hands, so I’d probably adapt pretty quickly.

Castagnari - what can I say - they are superb. I haven’t played a Cairdin or a Briggs, but Castas are certainly excellent, sweet sounding boxes. Still made by the same family, which is a sign of a continuing tradition.

All the best

Thanks BC - I think the Keanebox is tuned LMM, and I’m warming up to that config. I thought for a while that MMM with the reed on the stop being a bit wetter, was what I wanted but now the low octave option seems better (busking impact/slow airs/loud sessions etc) How do you use the Low reed? The Kriss IV sounds really interesting. Only yesterday I had my first go on a 4 reed box - a lovely old red Paolo, tuned in classic old musette style. Very nice feel and quite heavy. Not my kind of sound though and way out of my price range probably.

Any other experiences with the bigger 2row boxes, or Castas etc would be very welcome. The west coast of Australia is so isolated from decent boxes and players.

After years playing MM boxes I got an LMM and can see a lot of potential in the low reed set. How best to use it I am still exploring,

I rate castagnaris very highly in terms of overall bang per buck, although I have fonud Dinns a bit less appealing than Tommys. Krisses I have not played.

Cairdins are lovely instruments to play but dont sound quite as good to my ear as castagnaris do.

Posted by .

SO,

Why aren’t you ordering a Stormy Hyde accordeon…

just curious