banjo greats

banjo greats

who are the banjo greats

Re: banjo greats

Never heard of them. Are they a band or something?

Posted .

Gerry O’Connor

Kevin Griffin

Barney Mc Kenna

Charlie Piggott (In the past I was criticized for mentioning him as one of the ‘greats’, but I don’t care, I like what he does).

and:
Mick O’Connor
John Carty
Mick Maloney
Tom Cussen
and the very underrated Brian McGrath

Béla Fleck, no contest.

Angela Carberry?

It’s not fair saying Béla Fleck. That’s kind of like cheating

Posted .

You wre criticised for including Charlie Piggott, Henk?

The banjo has never sounded bettre in Irish music than on the early de dannan recordings

Well, he’s a banjo great, that’s for sure, and that’s what the original poster wanted to know. What about Dock Boggs? another legend in my book, not sure how he got on with diddly stuff, tho!

I have a recording of Hendrix playing banjo and does anybody recall Dan The Banjoman from the early 70’s? played a synthesised banjo and got into the pop charts, doo, doo, doo, dudududududu, du du doody doody doo

Kieran Hanrahan?

What? Kieran was Dan The Banjoman, this is serious stuff.

Agree, ramblingpitchfork.

Seamus Egan

Dónal Standún, Mick O’Connor, Darren Moloney, Declan Corey, Ronan Tattan (he’s been in Toronto for the summer, drop dead killer banjo player), Brona Graham, Mary Shannon.

Eamonn Coyne (Dublin/Edinburgh)

…and not forgetting Tony O’Rourke 😉

…and Lynn Oakley of Manchester

see nobody mentioned cathal hayden, he is a great player and fiddler too.

Brian Kelly…..fantastic player

And me!

Posted by .

Mickey Mc Donnell , Cootehill

Once heard ,never forgotten

Some lesser-known but great players would include Marcus Moloney, Damaris Woods, Dave Cory, Jonas Fromseier…

Several names I’m unfamiliar with and planning to google later tonite. Meanwhile can anyone tell me do all the names mentioned play shortscale tenor banjo, or are there some 19 fretters among them?

Mike: I daresay a big majority play 19 fret instruments - Angela Carberry is the only one that leaps to mind that doesn’t.

Brian McGrath
Cathal Hayden
Béla Fleck
Gerry O’Connor
Buddy Wachter (one of THE best!)
Lino Patruno

……
And me….OFFcourse :P

Then again, I’m quite sure if I like me’s style ;)

Gerry O’Connor, Cathyl Hayden, Kieran Hanrahan, and the best I’ve heard for years Desi Kelleher, brilliant!!

Liam Farrel

John Spencer

It’s Angelina Carberry, not "Angela"

There’s another banjo player called Seamus Egan in Portland, Oregon, who’s quite an excellent player, but he’s not nearly as well known as "famous Seamus". I’m not much for ranking players - the N best players of the last fifteen minutes, or what have you, such foolishness - but if you like good banjo playing, his record ("In Your Ear") is one you should listen to.

Eddie Whelan from Offaly
Donal Standun Galway

Oh, right then, John Spencer from Australia.

Pio and Donie Ryan in New York. John Carty,Gerry O Connor, Martin Slattery,

Gerry O’ Connnor,
Marcus Moloney,
Enda Scahill,
Barney McKenna,
Darren Maloney,
John cart,
And of course Mr. Hanrahan! 🙂

Aisling Neveille listowel co.kerry
Brian Mooney Brosna co.kerry

would give any of these a run for there money and both in their early twenties

"Charlie Piggott (In the past I was criticized for mentioning him as one of the ‘greats’, but I don’t care, I like what he does)."

I always enjoyed his playing, too. But I believe he had to give up the banjo years ago after losing part of a fretting finger.

just found this, so better late my sixpenny’s worth are:

Mark Conyard
Brian Kelly
Mick O’Connor
Johnny Carty
Cathal Hayden
Barney McKenna

and the uncountable ‘unsung’ bango heroes of the present, past and future, that is those that made even one little difference to a fellow musicians developement _ they are the real greats

Liam Farrell!!!!

"…this guy…" mentioned above on 9/10/09 by Mullet man the mandolin mandolin maestro, is Don Van Paltha presently living around Nacogdoches, TX. He is playing "plectrum banjo", usually 22 frets, so named when the 5th string was first eliminated for" being in the way" and one pick or plectrum was used instead of several fingers.Thisis was when playing with with orchestras in the early acoustic days of recording before the electric guitar came along. Plectrum banjo is usually tuned in "close harmony" C G B D like 5-string "C" tuning. Buddy Wachter, also mentioned above, is probably presently the best all around with this long necked banjo tuning. I’m bringing all this up to call attention to Perry Bechtel, a pioneer on plectrum banjo who made everyone want to play banjo, even before Eddie Peabody. Perry Bechtel influenced Martin to make some guitars with 14 frets above the body (OM-28?). Perry made only one album, produced by Chet Atkins. It was the great popularity of the earlier banjos that encouraged shortening the "tenor banjo" neck to 19 frets and less and tuning in 5ths (most often C G D A like the viola), so all the violin, viola, cello and mandolin players could more easily "cross over" to banjo. Most of the Celtic folks mentioned above are tuning an octive below the fiddle and mandolin, using G D A E. Thanks for bearing with me through this long comment. I’ll keep it shorter in the future.

Mary Shannon
Mick Duffy

Posted by .