Bizarre Mominsko Horo problem

Bizarre Mominsko Horo problem

I have been listening to Cold Blow and the Rainy NIght, Planxty’s 1974 album. I think I downloaded the tracks from eMusic and they are sitting in iTunes.

The track I have called Mominsko Horo doesn’t seem to match the description or sheet music for this tune.

Instead, it is a song which starts off "One fine summer’s morning Both gallant and gay, 24 ladies went out on the quay" etc.

Have I gone mad? Has anyone else had this problem? And could someone please tell me the real name of this song, which obviously isn’t an Eastern European tune in strange time signatures.

Re: Bizarre Mominsko Horo problem

Not sure…but the tune might come in middle or end of song?

The song is called ‘The Little Drummer’, the tune is a bulgarian tune

Regards

Thanks for those answers - so Shylock, is the track called Mominsko Horo correctly, with what I imagine is a traditional song of some kind set to a Bulgarian tune? I can’t hear it myself, but that may just be me….

Mominsko Horo is indeed a Bulgarian tune, but it’s tagged on to Baneasa’s Green Glade, track 6
The next track is The Little Drummer.
Amazon has Baneasa’s Green Glade and Mominsko Horo as separate tracks, and doesn’t have The Little Drummer listed.
I don’t think the tune of the Little Drummer is particularly exotic.

Thanks so much for that Rocky Roader. What you say makes perfect sense to me: I have been playing and singing Bulgarian music for a long time and thought I had lost my mind! The Little Drummer didn’t fit into that frame of reference at all, whereas the tune on Track 6 certainly does.

I am left baffled as to how this track mis-labelling has happened, but at least I don’t feel like a complete fool for asking!

In addition to the above, I wouldn’t mind betting that if anyone listened to the amazon version as described above, they would find that the track listed as Mominsko Horo was actually the Little Drummer

Track mis-labeling - in my experience tags on many CDs are suspect, even at the top end of the market, and I suspect that this is because the tagging job may be given to part-time workers or students on vacation, and their output is not adequately monitored. Usually, they’re just plain careless and don’t think about (or even know) what they’re doing, typically like mixing the tag fields up and doing things like putting the performer’s name into the Composer tag, and English is sometimes obviously not their native language. I’ve even come across one or two instances where the tagger clearly has been having deliberate fun at someone’s expense.

For a briliant version of this tune try Arty McGlynn and Nollaig Casey’s CD "Lead the Knave" track 5.

A traditional Balkan tune, here you have Casey on Fiddle & Viola, McGlynn on guitar, and Donal Lunny on Bodhran.

Thanks lazyhound - perhaps you have given me a clue as to why all the ITM I download from eMusic is classified as reggae!

And thanks Toppish - I have downloaded the album, and you’re right, that track is brilliant