Andy Irvine and John Doyle hit NYC

Andy Irvine and John Doyle hit NYC

Andy Irvine and John Doyle are playing in NYC this weekend.
<https://thesession.org/events/1648>;,
Any opinions/thoughts on how this Irvine/Doyle collaboration might compare to Irvine’s work with Paul Brady. Pretty sure it will be great, but any idea what to expect, musically speaking of course?

Re: Andy Irvine and John Doyle hit NYC

"Any opinions/thoughts on how this Irvine/Doyle collaboration might compare to Irvine’s work with Paul Brady. "

It won’t.

Expect superb guitar playing. Doyle’s credentials clearly would indicate he can do an excellent job of backing anyone, and when it comes to playing lead on ITM, he’s one of the very best. Get there early and sit up close.

‘playing lead on ITM….’

Never heard that phrase before!

I’m sure all the hype will convince people that everyone loves this irvine/doyle combo and persuade all the sheep to follow but im not convinced. Im prepared to be proven wrong though.

Can’t take mr doyles chunky overpowering guitar, just my opinion though.

Well of course, if we believe McMuppet almighty, these guys aren’t Irish Traditional musicians at all, they’re only accompanists! So who’s going to pay good money to watch a couple of accompanists?

Ptarmigan, surely they’re "going to pay good money to watch a couple of" talented musicians.

Having spent days in the company of Andy Irvine, John Doyle and Alec Finn (on separate occasions) my impressions are that none of them think of themselves as "Irish Traditional musicians" per se. While I haven’t asked them directly, my strong sense is that Andy sees himself as a traveling balladeer roaming from town to town much like his hero Woody Guthrie, while John and Alec consider themselves musicians who have spent much of their careers accompanying trad musicians and have been influenced accordingly. Based on my limited encounters with them, none give off that strong sense of being part of the Irish music tradition that one gets from the likes of say Martin Hayes (in passing, Denis Cahill is very clear that he’s not an "Irish Traditional musician" as are Donal Lunny and Paul Brady), the teachers at Willie week, or indeed "McMuppet". It’s not about whether they play or accompany a trad tune (all three can do both) or whether they teach, it’s something ineffable, you know it when you experience it even if you can’t define it. It distinguishes between "playing trad" and "being part of the tradition", surely a jumping off point for a separate discussion. Certainly I think of myself as a musician who happens to have been brought up in the trad genre. And like Tony MacMahon, trad isn’t my favourite music.

To my ear, Tony MacMahon (who I haven’t met!) is one of the finest box players around. And I certainly share his belief that trad is important beyond its entertainment value, which informs his view of accompanists, though I don’t necessarily agree with his choice of words on a particular radio programme. I’d be curious to know what Tony thinks of Felix Dolan’s piano backing.

It does seem like ‘The Odd Couple’, doesn’t it? I always think of Doyle with this strong, robust style, and then there’s Irvine with his sweet singing and gentle tinkling.

If anyone goes, give us the after action report!

I understand that not everyone cares for John’s usual style of rhythmic accompaniment ( I happen to like it most of the time) , but John is perfectly capable of doing the sweet and tinkling thing when a song or tune calls for it, as his solo albums amply demonstrate. He can also play the hell out the melody on a tune when he wants to.

I would agree that John doesn’t limit himself to what most here would call ITM, but the same could be said for many who have been considered stalwarts of ITM (e.g., Donal Lunny).

It should be an interesting pairing. John has said that one of the big influences on him early on was the playing and singing of folks like Martin Carthy, Dick Gaughan, Nic Jones, and Richard Thompson. I see Andy Irvine as being cut from that same cloth.

It should be an interesting evening, whether of not you want to call it ITM. Anyone going to make it?

It’s not a combination I would have imagined. I find John Doyle’s accompaniment somewhat over the top. It tends to dominate the music somewhat, rather than accompany it. That’s not to deny he’s a very talented guitarist.

Tommy O’Sullivan also played with Andy in the past; that, for me, would have been a better combination.

ITM doesn’t come into it. Andy’s a contemporary folk musician who also likes to play Irish dance tunes–and plays them brilliantly!

Hey, I heard yesterday that Mick Moloney will be sitting in with them each night for a few songs. (Don’t know if this is new news, but it was new to me.)

Here’s a link to the Irish Arts Center posting about this event which is somewhat more detailed than the Events posting here.

http://www.irishartscenter.org/music.htm

The interview portion is tonight, and the performances are Fri-Sun nights. It’s a tiny theatre by the way (I think it seats perhaps 100) so every seat is pretty close.

I’m looking forward to hearing both events and I like both these musicians, although I tend to think of them as having very different styles, so it will be interesting to see what they do together. Most of the time, I find that type of thing doesn’t work all that well. But I’ve gotten to see Andy Irvine’s group Mozaik, and that was an exception to the rule, I thought. Mixing very different styles, but it really worked. Instead of just adding Appalachian fiddle to a Bulgarian tune as a novelty, they seemed to find elements those had in common and it made sense. My impression is that the two of them didn’t decide on their own to work together, but that when they were approached with the idea, they agreed to do it. (I could be wrong about this.)

If you have ever seen John in concert with Mick Maloney, or like I did once, with Mick and Robbie O’Connell, you will have an idea what a night with him and Andy Irvine will be like. He is known for the instrumental accompaniment and driving style, but he loves singing and songs, and accompanying them in a very tasteful manner. In fact, I had the impression that one of the reasons John left Solas is that they didn’t let him sing enough! I think too many people on this thread are leaping to conclusions…..

Zhenya,

Please report back on the night when you get a chance. As Al noted, John does have a real singer-songwriter side that most here are not that familiar with.

I haven’t heard the latest Green Fields of America project, but I imagine you could get a feel for things by listening to John’s backing of the songs there, or by listening to his solo albums (which are mostly songs).

Jeff

Last night’s event was the interview, with just a few musical numbers done towards the end. There will be regular concerts this weekend.

This went really well, with a good crowd who were obviously familiar with and appreciative of the musicians. In the first part, Mick Moloney interviewed (to some extent) and (largely) reminisced with Andy Irvine about Andy’s work from the early 60s to his days with Planxty. They already knew each other during those years. Andy talked a bit about his early influences, mentioning skiffle and Woody Guthrie, and they discussed Sweeney’s Men and Andy’s travels in Eastern Europe. There was a DVD excerpt of Planxty doing The Jolly Beggar (from Come West Along the Road). By the time this was all covered, there wasn’t enough time for more than a brief mention of Andy’s later work. At that point, John Doyle joined them on stage, and Mick talked to him about his early days playing in NY, and about Solas in particular. The musical part of the evening had two numbers. Andy did his song about O’Donoghue’s, giving a detailed description of his days playing in that establishment, and other musicians on the scene. (with John playing along.) John sang th Apprentice Boy, with Andy adding in harmonica. They both said the collaborative part of these songs was still a work in progress. For about 10 minutes at the end, they took questions from the audience.

I realize that although I’m telling you the outline of what happened last evening, I’m not doing much to get the flavor across, and I apologize. There was just a lot of warmth and humor in the conversation, and maybe some wistfulness at times when remembering bygone days. It was very riveting to be there; the evening didn’t lag at all. One thing that’s occurring to me now though, is that it might have been nice to have Andy and John interacting a bit more during the interview part. It was more done separately, with each taking a turn. Because of this, I felt more that I was just seeing two different musicians I liked and admired, rather than two people collaborating. (I didn’t mind this, however, just that it may have been different from the overall intent.) Anyway, I’m looking forward to the concert tomorrow.. If anyone can make it to Manhattan, and is somehow still sitting on the fence, I believe there are still some tickets available and I’d encourage you to go.

Going tonight! I heard great things about the interview night, which sadly I had to miss.
(Thanks Zhenya for posting your impressions.)