Ryanair and weight limits

Ryanair and weight limits

We’ll be traveling to France on Ryanair in a couple of weeks. I’m ok carrying my flute in my jacket and my concertina in my carry-on bag. How serious is Ryanair about the 10Kg weight limit? Do they weigh carry-on bags these days. When I traveled to England last year they didn’t weight bags. How seriously should we take the weight limit?

Re: Ryanair and weight limits

If it looks obvioulsy overweight, they’ll probably hassle you. If it doesn’t, don’t worry about it too much.

very serious, I’ve found recently
they weighed our carry-ons when we went to Ireland last month
there might be exceptions, I suppose but I wouldn’t count on it

Posted by .

From a thread earlier this week…………

"Anybody going through Birmingham and southhampton airports over the summer were "treated" to yet another ryanair policy….that of employing " Bouncers" at each gate to give a " final inspection"of hand luggage…my fiddle was deemed too large and I had to pay 40 sterling for the pleasure of having it stowed down below…… I recently bopught a 3\4 size fiddle case and modified it to take a full size fiddle! It’s still 2 cms outside the 50cm height limit for hand luggage
# Posted on September 14th 2009 by downey"

Fill your pockets, ‘bum bag’ etc You can push it to 12kg .if they hassle, fill your pockets more! wear all your cloths etc Normally in my experience, if your obviously not going to pay ie, you start filling pockets once they say your overweight , then they will let you through the 2nd time.
Size issues are more serious. but with online check in its all a bit easier IMO. What is it that weighs 10kg?

"Fill your pockets, ‘bum bag’ etc"

I understand they sometimes regard a belt bag as an extra item of luggage.

Yep, probably, but they never hassled me for it yet, what they dont see dont bother them.
A friend of mine got his electric double bass on board as carry on. Dont ask me how! he is huge though so he probably just sauntered through with it over his shoulder. Often its how you carry yourself, your demeanour, just be cool. Try not to stagger under the weight of all the shtuff in yr pockets and rucksac. 🙂

RyanAir are enforcing the regulations regarding size and weight of cabin baggage more and more strictly.

I have always in the past been allowed to carry my mandolin as cabin baggage, but last time I flew out of Birmingham it was a major struggle to avoid paying £40 to have it smashed up by baggage handlers on its way to the hold.

I will be flying Birmingham-Shannon next week and I’ve booked an extra seat for the mando - this is what I’ll be doing from now on.

I refer all those above to the discussion I posted a few days ago - Ryanair makes £500 million out of the ‘extras’ !

I’ll be doing a couple of gigs in Biarritz, south of France, and going back flying - not with Ryanair though, I understand they’re quite a pain somwhere - I had to buy a seat for my instrument (hammered dulcimer), but then I get 2 hand luggages, mine and the HD’s…I can therefore take my accordion with me in the cabin. But the company (Flybaboo) was really nice… and it’s low cost…

As others have said - they do now have ‘checks’ at the boarding gate. Beware!
‘Carry on’ fiddle or mandolin etc. previously seemed to give no problems - if carried inconspicuously through on your back. Sadly -no longer true. After experiencing problems - I will no longer risk this.
From now on I will be considering Air Lingus alternatives. - Possibly a little more cost initially - but hopefully less ‘hidden extras’ ?

Re: Thanks to all

Yes, thank… Good advice here. Flute in coat pocket and other things stashed in clothing which we’ll be wearing.
Have people had any problems carrying on a Rick Steeves’ bag? If you do get a second seat can you then use the baggage allowance for that seat?

no cocus, no extra baggage allowance, sigh…I flew on 6 different Ryan air flights this August, each time I had the right dimensions basically because I was paranoid, but I was surely overweight. I dont think anyone took a blind bit of notice bar a cursory glance perhaps.
But come on guys and Gals, prices are so dirt cheap! and we can buy an extra seat for our ‘baby’. just 5 or so yrs ago, if my memory is correct, Average flights were 100£ plus . 10 yrs ago they were more again. We never had it so good. Of course what are we as a species doing to our world is the bigger question…. cheap flight… hidden costs..

Did Ryanair ever follow through with that thread to get rid of checked baggage entirely?

That sucks that they have bouncers at the gate now. When I’ve taken them once or twice with the pipes, I kept them out of view of the check in people and then carried them on board, no trouble. However, last time I flew to Ireland I had a fit of paranoia and used Aer Lingus. They didn’t give me grief about the instrument but they charged me £15 to check a rucksack. Bastards.

I don’t get why Ryanair is making such a thing out of this. Pipes and fiddles and other instruments of that size fit in overhead bins, even those of weensie airplanes. Why do they freakin’ care if people have instruments? Does it somehow cost them more? Their cabin baggage allowance size doesn’t seem to be based on the reality of what will actually fit into the overhead bin of a 737.

*threat, even

As long as they can make profit from their hand luggage scrutiny…then they will apply ever new and changing rules! Seeing bouncers marshal people to certain corners of a departure gate does nothing for public attitude towards them but everything for profit. Making other choices would send the proper message but, remember, Ryanair set trends and the other el cheepo airlines follow. Buying another seat with ryanair will get your instrument on but you get no extra cabin baggage allowence.

If I were to start an airline (don’t worry, this will NEVER happen), I’d start one with prices competitive to Ryanair’s but provide better service, without the stupid and arbitrary luggage restrictions. I don’t know ANYONE who actually likes Ryanair and doesn’t think they’re a bunch of tw*ts. But people grumble and then use them anyway because they are cheap. So I imagine that you might well if you could offer the cheap without being a*seholes.

….perhaps you could have a statement on the online booking form to say "I promise that I am not a pillock who will stretch the stated cabin baggage allowance beyond the limit" ?

Ionannas wrote:

‘I flew on 6 different Ryan air flights this August’.

So much for your carbon footprint then!

Posted by .

I have a young relative who flew Ryanair wearing several sweaters and jackets to avoid the baggage weight limit (they’re not weighing passengers yet.)

Apologies to anyone who had to sit beside him.

Posted by .

>> ….perhaps you could have a statement on the online booking form to say "I promise that I am not a pillock who will stretch the stated cabin baggage allowance beyond the limit" ? <<

Well, you have to check the box saying you have read and agree to the terms and conditions - that amounts to the same thing, really.

Also - I will be on a RyanAir flight next week and they have emailed me, not to remind me to check in, but specifically to remind me of cabin baggage size restrictions!

And I have just had another email from RyanAir to say that the time of one of my flights has changed from 4.05 p.m. to 9.55 a.m.

Now that IS annoying.

I’m telling you, we should start our own airline: Fly Thesession.org — all of the cheap and none of w*nkery. Bodhrans, however, will be confiscated by security and there may be full cavity searches for shakey eggs.

Ouch! If I wasn’t shaking before, I would be afterwards…