Tommy Peoples Fiddle Stolen in London

Tommy Peoples Fiddle Stolen in London

From Mudcat - the description as so far obtained by the Stolen Instrument Gallery on Facebook

"The fiddle was stolen out of the car which was parked about 200 yds from The Corner House Hotel, 201 Camden Rd
London, NW1 9AA. It was taken in the early hours of Friday morning, 11th September.

It was in a black rectangular composite case. In the inside pocket of the case were two St Martin relics/medallions, a red glass heart, two D’Addario strings and a box set of Helicore strings.

The fiddle has a split or crakc between the E and A tuning pegs. It also has an unusual brown composite chn rest, which you can see in the picture".

Re: Tommy Peoples Fiddle Stolen in London

Stealing Tommy Peoples’ fiddle should be put on a list of capital crimes,
or at the very least should earn you a ticket to Guantanamo.

Bastards. Tommy was due to play the London Irish Centre in Camden that night. Anybody see him?

He left his fiddle in an unattended vehicle???? Hmmm!

In LONDON? Not the best place.

Bless his soul.

Posted by .

this is a serious diplomatic incident - we should recall our ambassador - close the airports - round up all cockneys and interrogate them all. This is a serious knock for Tommy - I hope it doesn’t affect his confidence or playing. B@st@rds

"cockneys"!!??

I left a melodeon and when I came back there were 2 more in the car

Cockneys are Londoners; originally the qualification was to have been born within the sound of ( St-Mary-le-) Bow bells.
London is so big now, and many of us are incomers; at Plymouth Plantation, where they pretend to be puritan colonialists, if you say you are from London they ask "Within the walls ?".
My own home in East Finchley is on the edge of the old Finchley Common, where the toffs came and camped to escape the Plague in London in 1665. But we couldn’t tell them that at Plymouth, which is in 1627, as that would be breaking the first rule of the space-time continuum ( sorry, was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager this afternoon ).

I once left a mandolin, in a brand new case, under a payphone in the concourse of ottenham Court Road station, and was gone about 20 mins before I realised. When I got back, it was still there.

Mr. Peoples wasn’t so lucky. The irony is, the thieves (presumably) had no idea of the implications of their actions. Had they stolen my mandolin, it would have made no difference to the world.

One can only hope that Tommy Peoples might have the same luck with his stolen instrument as I had back in the mid sixties.
I had my Paolo Soprani stolen from my van in Whitechapel East London. (confession time) I forgot to lock the back. It was worth £60 at the time and I was still paying for it. Went to the Police, they told me that my best bet was to keep my eye on the local street markets. The next evening I was pulling out from a petrol station in the same area when I spotted a guy carrying what looked like my accordion case along the other side of the street. I followed him and he disappeared into a fruit shop. When I parked up and eventually got into the fruit shop, he had the case open and was trying to sell MY accordion to a man in the shop. I nearly felt sorry for the poor barsteward when he offered it to me cheap. Seemingly he bought it for his son but he got fed up with it. A great feeling came over me as I showed him my name and address on a book in the case. He was so sorry that he offered to take me to a local club for a drink… I got out of there fast, so Coleman Fisher, you robbing git, as long as I live shall never forget the look of sheer despair on your face when I broke the bad news to you…..Reported back to the Police with his name and address, but never heard any more.

Gah, of all the fiddles in the world to steal!

On the plus side, this will get a lot of attention and there is a picture of the fiddle, and I assume that it’s been added to the stolen violin registries. Violin dealers the world over will be looking for it, so it will probably be found sooner or later. A violin like that is likely to fall into the hands of someone who knows what it is.

Anyway, here’s to hoping.

I’m puzzled by the logic that leads people to conclude that the loss of an instrument is worse because it belongs to a great player. I would think just the opposite: a great player should be able to get along just fine for a bit on a borrowed instrument, and probably has a decent spare or two at home. I’d expect such a loss to be more traumatic and tragic for a mid-level player.

High level musicians aren’t any less attached to their instruments than us other folky folk folkers. Likely more so, in fact.

Michael Sam Wild
its too late at night to laugh out loud but i did anyway 🙂

its a great shame this has happened. but…this is london, someone should have known better.
last time i went to a session up camden way i had a £10 light stolen off my bike…..

total right angle, i was recently told there are no more real cockneys being born, as there are no maternity wards in earshot of bow bells.

i hope the fiddle turns up.

I saw Mr Peoples and heard him play at the Irish Centre in Camden on Friday night. He played superbly, as you might expect, despite his loss. Karen Ryan, of The London Lasses, had lent him a good fiddle. He had it tuned up a semi-tone and the guitarist, Adrian Burns, was tuned down a semi-tone.

Mr Peoples even sang a song towards the end of the night.

Hope he gets his fiddle again.

Am i missing something here? Where exactly on facebook does it say that this fiddle belonged to Tommy Peoples?

Yes, you’re missing something. Go to the Facebook link provided and click the "Previous" button at the top right of the photo.