D Roll

D Roll

Hey everyone -

I’m wondering how to do a roll on the low D on my flute (or whistle I guess).

I’m used to cutting the note above and "tapping" the note below to execute the roll. So, the F roll for me is:
xxxxoo
xxoxoo
xxxxoo
xxxxxo
xxxxoo

Obviously with the D you can’t tap below. How do you guys typically ornament that note?

Thanks
Seamus

Re: D Roll

Personally this is how I would often do a cran
XXX XXX
XXO XXX
XXX XXX
XXX OXX
XXX XXX
XXX XOX
XXX XXX

You would need to cran the note. There are various different suggestions on how to do this and there was a recent thread on the subject. Basically though you would lift L3 R1 and R2 in a set order (this is what is debated).

An example would be:

XXX XXX

XXO XXX

XXX OXX

XXX XOX

XXX XXX

It is certainly not an easy move and you would be best to have someone show you.

BTW for rolls I do not do them exactly as you describe. To roll the lower notes I would always "cut" the G finger and for the A and B I would cut the B finger:

B cut:

XOO OOO
OOO OOO
XOO OOO

A cut:

XXO OOO
OXO OOO
XXO OOO

G cut:

XXX OOO
XXO OOO
XXX OOO

or:

XXX OOO
OXX OOO
XXX OOO

F#:

XXX XOO
XXO XOO
XXX XOO

Ach I am getting bored of doing these diagrams. You get the idea.

To complete the roll I would always tap the hole below although on a G roll it can sound quite nice to tap the 2 holes below:

XXX OOO
XXO OOO
XXX OOO
XXX XXO
XXX OOO

Good luck!

Cross post!

And on my cran diagram I forgot to show the all holes covered diagrams between the cuts. I meant to do what Bogman did!

I also only realised the other day I am probably not doing my crans correctly at all - which will be why they sound like mince.

I need to practice more!

The cran seems the favourite option for most tunes, but don’t forget you can always put a little triple tongue in there. Say ‘diddly’ while blowing the D and voila!

Posted by .

If you have a D whistle with an extra hole for a C, you can play a D roll. 🙂

I cran:

xxx oxx
xxx xxx
xxx xox
xxx xxx
xxo xxx
xxx xxx

Or

xxx xox
xxx xxx
xxx oxx
xxx xxx
xxo xxx

Is tonguing on the D, with whistle, similar to closing the end of the chanter, with your knee, on pipes?

Posted by .

It stops the note from sounding, so yes, it’s the same in that sense. But you can’t say diddly by lifting the chanter: you run the risk of smashing your knee.

Posted by .

I guess it’s as close as you’re going to get to emulating the sound of tight playing on the pipes, so in that sense, sort of. But it sounds like a whistle being tongued, nothing like tight or closed playing on the chanter. And you play more or less most of the notes on the chanter with it on your knee (how much off the knee playing depends on your style — some people do lots of it, some very little). Tonguing every single note on the whistle is not regarded as good whistle playing by most quarters. So no.

I cheat!

If you use a whistle with 7 holes you can tap the C and therefore get the low D roll!

Can’t do it on the flute though unless you have one specially made. Seems a lot of expense to go to for a roll!

It’s all a timing thing I guess.

Do two cuts on D, either middle D or bottom D, and do it with the timing of a roll, and it sounds like a roll.

Doesn’t really matter which digits you use to make the cuts, though in uilleann tradition the choices are the middle and index fingers of the lower hand and the ring finger of the upper hand.

Any two of those, in any order whatever, will do the job.

For many years I used LH index/UH ring, but now I’ll use LH index/LH middle sometimes. (I started using those because on some flutes the UP index cut doesn’t sound very cleanly in the 2nd octave.)

Use three cuts rather than two, and time it like a cran, and now you’re doing a cran on D (either middle or bottom).