A Chinese’s Celtic Playlist

A Chinese’s Celtic Playlist

Hi, I am a Chinese, and I think I might be the NO,1 Celtic music fan in the earth.

This is my playlist

Aoife Ni Fhearraigh:
1.A Neansai ‘Mhile Gra
2.An Mhaigdean Mhara
3.Ansacht Na Nansacht
4.Cailin Na Gruaige Baine
5.Cuaichin Ghleann Neifin
6.Mo GhriThe
7.Nil Se Na La
8.Seachran Charn tSail
9.Siul A Run

Mary Black:
1.Bantry Girls Lament
2.Both Sides The Tweed
3.Hard Time(Gael Force)
4.Mo Ghile Mear
5.Song For Ireland

Sinead O’Connor
1.Her Mantle So Green
2.I’ll Tell Me Mama
3.Oro Se Do Bheatha ‘Bhaile
4.Foggy Dew

Loreena McKennitt:I have all her albums
1.All Souls Night
2.Annachie Gordon
3.Banks of Claudy
4.Blacksmith
5.Bonny Portmore
6.Come by the Hills
7.Dante’s Prayer
8.Dickens’ Dublin
9.Let Us The Infant Greet
10.Marco Polo
11.Never-ending Road
12.Penelope’s Song
13.Raglan Road
14.Skellig
15.Snow
16.Standing Stones
17.Stolen Child
18.The Bonny Swans
19.The Dark Night of the Soul
20.The Highwayman
21.The Mummers’ Dance
22.The Seasons
23.The Wexford Carol
24.The Old Ways
25.Cymbeline

Clannad:I have 20 albums, but I only love the album between 1973~1983, and my favorite song is always The Last Rose of Summer, Moya really can sing, I think she is better than her sister.

Lúnasa:I have 7 albums, I think they are the best instrument band of Celtic music.
1.Absent Friends Absent Friends Ivory Lady
2.Aibreann The Last Pint
3.Casu
4.Dublin to Dingle James Kelly’s The Foxhunt John Brosnan’s West
5.Inion Ni Scannlain
6.Kilarney Boys Of Pleasure
7.Mi Na Nollag Kerfunten Eddie Kelly’s Give us a Drink of Water
8.O’Carolans Welcome Rolling In The Barrel
9.The Dimmers Jerry O’Sullivan’s The Dimmers
10.The Miller of Drohan

Alasdair Fraser & Paul Machlis
1.Traditional Gaelic Melody
2.Bennachie Sunrise Willie’s Trip to Toronto
3.Calliope House The Cowboy Jig

Greg Joy
1.Celtic Echoes
2.Chicken on the Run - Sunday is My Wedding Day
3.Cold, Haily, Windy Night
4.Lowlands of Holland
5.Royal Forester
6.Unquet Grave

Nightnoise:I have 9 albums, I think the the best one is A Different Shore.

Dougie Maclean:My favorite male singer
1.Are Ye Sleepin’ Maggie
2.Auld Lang Syne
3.Banks and Braes
4.Bonnie Bessie Logan
5.Caledonia
6.Desperate Man
7.Feel So Near
8.Garden Valley
9.Gin I Were A Baron’s Heir
10.Green Grow the Rashes
11.High Flying Seagull
12.It Fascinates Me
13.It Was A’ For Our Rightfu’ King
14.Rank and Roses
15.Ready For The Storm
16.Seanair’s Song
17.She Loves Me (When I try)
18.Singing Land
19.Solid Ground
20.This is to Mother you
21.Turning Away

Rita Connolly
1.Venezuela
2.Factory Girl Same Old Man

Arcady
1.The river
2.After the Ball
3.The Boys of Barr na Sráide
4.The Rambling Irishman
5.Once I loved
6.John o’ Dreams

and many many more………….it’s too hard to list them all.

Re: A Chinese’s Celtic Playlist

it should be the NO.1 CHINESE Celtic music fan in the earth, sorry.

NO,1 Celtic music fan, if you haven’t already you should check out early Solas.

I am the NO.1 CHINESE Celtic music fan, I forgot to put the word CHINESE, and yes, I have some Solas albums, I am listening their 1997 album "Sunny Spells & Scattered Showers" right now, it’s pretty good, I like the song "Vanished Like The Snow"

What sort of food do you eat? Haggis Chow Mein? Irish Stew with noodles?
It’s all Siberian to me.
check out ijerry in our members list , his Australian/Irish band toured China as guests of the Beijing Caledonian Society, which still cracks me up.
Sort of brings a new meaning to noodling.
Ah So.
Just joking!

shame there isn’t a jig or a reel or any other tune called

‘free Tibet from Chinese Occupation’…

or even

‘The Dalai Lama Hornpipe’…

Posted by .

Maybe there should be one : )

For Goodness sakes. Some folk on this forum are like Boris Johnson and Prince Philip all rolled into one.

Welcome to the board lolo258. Dougie MacLean does not stay too far from Perth, where I am, and it is nice to hear that his music has got all the way to China.

Do you play or learn the music at the moment? Or do you just like to listen to it for now?

I admire your choices. Another group of Irish traditional musicians I would encourage you to listen to are the Chieftains.

They have been recording and touring the world for 40 years or so, and are extremely influential. I know they have performed in Beijing and Shanghai many times.

Sad to say the only Chinese Music I can play is Chop Sticks on the piano.

Concerning the Chieftains, they did a concert movie that I can’t remember the name of, and Paddy Maloney made a pretty good joke about China having possibly once been a celtic country. I thought it was kinda funny. On a related note, that same movie had Roger Daltrey as a guest performer and he did a pretty amazing version of "Behind Blue Eyes" with them backing him up.

Yeah, but where would Britain’s comedians be without Boris Johnson?

Thanks for Boris, I just googled him which led to wiff waff, newsreader farts, newsreader swears , can’t stop laughin. Wot a way to start the day.
‘morning lliG, lovely day!

lolo .. Fair play for the tunes, what instrument do you play? I assume u speak Mandarin or Cantonese? What is the translation for Uilleann Pipes, someone told me once but I have forgotten..

Hello Lolo! Do you watch tudou.com?
I use it with http://www.flvcd.com to watch different TV playlists. I have found a few sound files of Irish music, on tudou. But always wondered if someone has uploaded music programs from TG4 or RTÉ on tudou.

Posted by .

First, don’t told politics here.

Actually I am a Chinese in Taiwan, not mainland China, my parents follow the Chiang Kai-shek goverment to Taiwan on 1949 which was overthrowed by Communist party , I was born in Taiwan.

Hi, No Cause For Alarm, I am too old to learn music, I am just a listener.

Hi,SWFL Fiddler, thanks for the recomandation.

Hi,NEW Pure Drop® Ear Canal Oil, of course I know Chieftain, I have the Gael-Force DVD, and I love they worked with Mark Knopfler and singing the Lily of the west. it’s amazing. I always tell my friend that Chieftain is the NO.1 folk group in the world, because Chieftain is the No.1 in Ireland, and Ireland has the best folk music in the world.

Hi,Free Reed, don’t be sad, we Chinese have 5000 years history, but blank in music.

Hi,Jimmy B, if you know our music culture, you will know China is not a Celtic country, beside Celtic culture is too young for us.

Hi,Trucks_Mulligan, I speaker Mandarin only, we translate Uilleann Pipes to "Ireland FengDi", Feng means wind, Di means Pipe.

Hi, Random_notes, never visit taht web-site before.

While travelling in Scotland with a friend who happened to be Chinese, I joined a session in Edinburgh. When we finished playing a march called Bonaparte Crossing the Alps, he shouted "that sounded very Chinese!"

A very knowledgeable musician and dancer called Zina Lee would often contributed to this website, and she still comes back sometimes. I believe she is a second generation Chinese American. Hopefully I’ll meet her somewhere because everyone says she is a great character in real life too.

Anyway, welcome to the board, lolo. I’m Japanese, and I am also irritated by the comments of those who don’t know much about this part of the world.

Hi lolo,

Well, I did say it was a joke, and not my own at that. Of course there is no connection, that was the joke.

Slainte: Zina visited our session in Cambridge (at the White Swan) several times this year and she is certainly a great character and an excellent fiddler. Zina - if you’re reading this, come and see us again soon!

rockin’ morris dancers, yeah…

Hi,Random_notes, Chieftain really did a great job, they use fiddle replace Hu-Qin(Chinese 2 string fiddle), use Uilleann Pipes replace Suo-Na(Chinese Oboe), use harp repalce Gu-Zheng(Chinese zither), they play Full of Joy better then any Chinese palyer I’ve ever heard, I think we should give Chieftain a medal.

Hi lolo. I just wanted to tell you, you are never too old to learn an instrument. And Celtic music is so much fun to play. Please think about it! I have heard of people starting fiddle lessons in their 60s and 80s.

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm!

Hi, Merry Mary, thank you for your encouragement, when I was young , I’ve learn to play guitar, I don’t intend to be Duane Allman or Jimmy Page, I just want to be like Jim Croce, but I failed, I was to stupid to learn it. HAHAHA.

Lolo, MerryMary is right! You’re never too old to learn. I started learning the box in my 5th decade. Get yourself a Tin Whistle, a Comhaltas Book and or CD….you’ll be playing Saddle the Pony before you know it!
Check out the Comhaltas site if you haven’t already.
http://comhaltas.ie/