Liverpool irish festival

Liverpool irish festival

I notice this year liverpool irish festival are charging an entrance fee for some of the sessions..musicians with instruments can get in free though.What do people think of this?

Re: Liverpool irish festival

Maybe as it’s Liverpool, get people to pay on the way out instead…but only if they can prove it’s their instrument and not one they’ve "borrowed"

FFS ! you’d think someone with his talents and credentials would not find it amusing to stoop to exploiting such outdated stereotypes.,.do you think its a class thing or what? have you ever visited Liverpool Mark?

Oh dear Mark from your biog you sound like such an accomplished and intelligent person. But it seems from your post above that the "stuck up southern w@#&£r" stereotype is based on you. And to think you worked for the BBC for 23 years! I want my license money back!

Oh -god - sorry! Actually, I have been to Liverpool and it was great. Apologies to anyone I’ve offended!

Nevermind Mark your not the only one who labours under the delusion that Liverpool is full of thieves and druggies.
I wish I had a pound for everytime I hear derogatory comments about my city. Then I could move out and live somewhere nice ;-)

Peter - Best to take Mark’s comment in the good humour with which it was no doubt intended.

Flossie - Strong words! But a good comeback.

My mother grew up in Liverpool (I’m a stuck up southern w@#&£r, myself). My aunt has spent most of her life there, having moved back there (not a popular move in the late 60s) after a spell down south. I am not aware of my aunt being a thief - although she has had her house broken into several times over the years. But that happens to people living in London, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Newcastle…

Anyway, back to the original question: Perhaps these publicans are trying to cover themselves for all the people that come into their pubs to listen to the music all evening and only buy half a pint or ask for a glass of tap water. Or perhaps they are trying to limit the number of non-listeners, to minimise the ambient noise level. I am not opposed outright to charging a (small) entrance fee for a session, if it goes to a good cause - such a supplying the musicians with food and/or drink. If however, it just goes towards filling the publican’s coffers (which, presumably, will be swelled anyway due to increased trade from the festival), then it’s questionable, whatever non-commercial explanation they might offer.

If the sessions in question are being held somewhere other than drinking establishments, then it might just be a case of covering the rent for the premises.

Well as you’ve just seen We do get sick of the stereotyping ,perhaps people could be more aware in what they say. I have met too many people who are quick to perpetuate that received view about Liverpudlians ,even if it was intended humourously it was still a bit of a cheap shot.

Having said that I do think The Scousers by Harry Enfield is Hysterically funny……

Back to the main point then…After some more research it seems these events are kind of half session/ half gig affairs were there are PA costs etc.
Maybe this could be a good thing as some of the pub sessions can be uncomfortably crowded.The fee might help keep the numbers under control.There are still free sessions that people can go to

Stereotyping, what’s the big deal? If you’re from Scotland, Ireland, Wales, the north, the south, the east, west, if you’re a Weegie a Geordie, a Teuchter, a Scouser or anything like that then you should have developed a decent skin. I couldn’t care less about being called a teuchie, haggis guzzling, bagpipe playing Jock. I often slag off my Geordie and Scouse friends and get as good and more back.

Nobody surely would think that Mark believes all Scousers to be thieves from a daft throw away comment. PC going mad again.

Bogman - Excuse my ignorance. What’s a Teuchter?

PC? Me? You have’n a laugh?!
Sorry Bogman I didn’t mean to rattle your cage, but slagging off your friends is one thing. I don’t know Mark from Adam but his response to mine and Petes "strong words" was pretty much what I was hoping for. I think from my response to his apology it’s pretty obvious that I can take a slagging off with the best of them and I don’t have a problem laughing at myself. The problem is from single posts it’s hard to know just how much of what someone says they actually believe. So just calm down, calm down!

Oh and by the way the only session that I can see has an entrance fee is the one at the Philharmonic. Are there others that I don’t know about?

My cage is unrattled flossie. OPC, a teuchter is pretty much slang for a highland gael used by some non gaels.

"Calm down calm down" LMAO …Ive been waitin for that one!

I understand the frustration at stereotypes but if you want to avoid Liverpool’s reputation then the answer is simple…

…Stop knicking stuff!!!

LOL!

This thread has been well and truely nicked!! How about at least commenting on the original post folks?

To the OP: I don’t like the idea … but at least it might stop the worst over-crowding.

Posted by .

Limiting access to sessions and "festival clubs" seems to be an inevitable corollary of a festival’s success and growth these days.

And carrying an instrument doesn’t always guarantee you’ll get in, either.

To go back to stereotypes, every Aberdonian , teuchter or toonser, would buy a bodhran or whistle if it meant getting something for free!

The only solution seems to be to start another festival and enjoy it before it gets big and goes the same way

Posted by .