If you’re looking for great fiiddle music ….check this out

If you’re looking for great fiiddle music ….check this out

Some of the finest Irish fiddlers on the planet, playing in Donegal style.

http://www.fidilmusic.com/Fidil/Shop_home.html

You will find many samples of their music here

Regards

Shylock

Re: If you’re looking for great fiiddle music ….check this out

Nice stuff Shylock! I especially liked the Gravel Walk video. They must have waited for months to get weather like that in Donegal…

Very nice fiddling, beautiful sound, good harmonies, terrific technique.
I do find interesting though how sounded at times more like classical music than something from a folk tradition.

‘I do find interesting though how sounded at times more like classical music than something from a folk tradition.’

Are you serious? Jayz, I sincerely hope not.

Posted by .

Yes very nice; can’t help feeling though that too many cooks somehow…to my ears sounds a bit mushy and ill defined. Maybe a bit too fancy, mebbe overcooked.
As for the ‘classical’ thing, it’s what you do with it that matters ain’t it?

Floss
I am listening to them again (especially the Castles In The Air Set) and I have to say that I stand by what I said. The highly arranged harmonies, and the almost viola like backing rolls that two of the fiddles take in the Japanese Hornpipe, sound very classical. Although the tunes are obviously not classical, the arrangements are.
I would note that the Gravel Walks is played in a very tradition way though.
Arlo

classical?! ?! I love the first CD - some of the wildest sounding fiddling I’ve heard. I’m looking forward to the new one

Classical? (scrapes sore jaw off the floor where I just dropped it)

Looking forward to the new album.

Rook, your first link proves exactly the opposite of the point you’re trying to make. That’s just the lads impersonating the uilleann pipes (as fiddlers are often wont to do in Donegal).

Arlo, similarly, you just don’t recognise the deliberate ‘bassing’ of the fiddles to provide that ‘uilleann moment’. Have you never listened to the recordings of John Doherty or heard the Campbells?

Posted by .

I think they’re great.

It’s not like they’re the first ITM band to have highly arranged sets with lots of layering. Ceoltoiri Chualann beat them to it by a wee bit, methinks.

…or The Chieftains for that matter. :)

There’s nothing remotely classical in their playing. They play drones and very simple harmonies, that’s not classical harmony. The arrangements of Ceoltóirí Cualann and the descant harmonies occasionally played by the Bothy Band owe far more to the classical tradition than these chaps. Also they’re not imitating the uilleann pipes, it’s the highland pipe that’s imitated in Donegal music. What John Doherty called “The Chanter Style” or “The Bagpipe Style” referred to the Scottish Bagpipe, and Mickey Doherty’s playing (even moreso than John’s) can sound extraordinarily close to the highland pipes. Virtually the same style of ornamentation is used in the West Highland Scottish fiddle style.

I find these guys play rather too fast, the bowing ends up a bit rough and the rhythm becomes very even, especially in the reels.