Thomas Perry

Thomas Perry

Begging pardon ahead of time since this is not related to Irish Traditional Music - OK - got that out of the way.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for sources of information about Thomas Perry - the 18th century Irish violin maker? I have already searched academic library journals to which I have access and have come up empty handed. Apparently there isn’t even agreement on the year of his death and conflicting information regarding the role of William Wilkerson in Perry’s violin building business. I am simply interested in learning about this Irish violin builder - no other agenda. Thanks.

Re: Thomas Perry

Good ol’ JSTOR…………. :-)

I have had several Perry violins pass through my workshop over the years, I have Henleys dictionary of violin makers and there is roughly a page and a half of info on him, if you want I could scan the pages and email them to you, I also have seen a few James Perry violins as he would have been a cousin of thomas and was localish to me in Kilkenny, I am in south Tipperary.
Good Luck
Mike

Posted by .

Thank you Presumin Ed, Celtic Marine, Pio Ryan, Gravelwalks and Mikea!

Mikea - yes - if you wouldn’t mind scanning the pages from Henleys dictionary. I’d be very grateful - you should be able to email me via my registration here…? If not - let me know and I will provide it for you.

Thanks so much to everyone for your time and help.