tune identification please

tune identification please

something really embarrassing has happened—i can no longer play one of the tunes that play the most! i have known it for several years, and it is one of my mainstays. for some reason, a few weeks ago, i was playing, and all of a sudden i cannot figure out the second phrase of the B part, but the rest of the tune is intact.

it’s a reel in D, and here’s how it goes:
A part (single)
D2DF d2ag | f2ef dBBd | BAFA ABde | edef dBAF|
D2DF d2ag | f2ef dBBd | BAFA ABde |edef d3 A|
B part (single)
d2fd adfd | d2fd BAFA | d2……………………..
d2fd adfd | d2fd BAFA | d2 cA BAFD | FAde fdAF|

i would be really appreciative if someone could fill in the missing 2 measures. my version might be a bit different than everyone else’s, but that’s ok… i just can’t figure out the turning of the tune. like i said… really embarrassing, cuz i must have played this tune at least 5 times a week every for the last several years. i think it happened cuz i’ve been working at different keys and transposition and all that, and something just got booted out of my brain. funny thing is that i learned this one in several keys, and i get lost in the same part in every key.

i think what my have happened is that in becoming more reliant on how the tune SOUNDS and less on muscle memory, my muscle memory for the tune has faded, and the sound of the tune in my head wasn’t strong enough. oops.

Posted by .

Re: tune identification please

I’ve long been a doubter of this muscle memory thing, or even if it exists.

I’ve always doubted that it’s a good idea to, as some people suggest, to practice something over and over so often that you can do it in your sleep. To play this music even half well requires - nay, demands - creative intellectual and emotional input at all levels. How can you do this when you are asleep?

Remember the old adage:

What’s the opposite of aesthetic?

Anaesthetic.

Posted .

Rev’s abctunesearch,com comes up with just one tune from the A music- "The Flax in Bloom"- but only with 58% certainty.

‘I’ve long been a doubter of this muscle memory thing, or even if it exists."

If you played concertina you wouldn’t be a doubter. But I have muscle memory with all the instruments I play. It isn’t the only thing, but it plays a big role. It definitely exists.

Muscle memory is what keeps you from tankin’ a tune when you notice the hottie at the bar is really diggin’ what you’re playing and sends your brain waves into a skid :)

Hahahahaha… so true… hahahaha

Heh, that’s funny. It does sound kind of similar to the Flax In Bloom. But it’s actually the Kilfenora

https://thesession.org/tunes/7648

BTW, my tune search accurately predicts that if you just plug in the first 4 bars. I find that 4-8 bars works the best. And when it only shows you one result, you can often click on the "show more results" button, since, by default, it will only show you the top hit (and any hits that are over 70% probability)

thanks reverend—that’s definitely the tune. unfortunately, it doesn’t help! i thought it would. my version is slightly different, and i know the fourth measure of the second part doesn’t start with a G. however, this will help me track down the setting i play, as i will be able to go through my notes and recordings to find.

Posted by .

My advice, for what it’s worth, in this situation (i.e. partly forgetting a familiar tune) is to to "forget" it, not listen to it, and don’t think about it, for a few weeks or as long as it takes, and the chances are that it will re-emerge fully -formed into your mind and fingers when you’re least expecting it.

What I’ve noticed, concerning muscle memory, is that when you learn a tune that, unrealized to yourself at the time of learning it, is a tune with phrases very similar to another tune you like and play a lot that you haven’t played in a while, you write over parts of the old tune with the new tune in your memory. Until you reexamine the old tune in question and realize where exactly the discrepancy is, it becomes nearly impossible to play. I’ve even had moments where upon re-learning the old tune screws up the new tune. Bottom line is to understand exactly where the switch in the track is that sends your muscle memory of one way or the other.