Accordion Straps

Accordion Straps

I’ve been advised a nice pair of accordion straps will help with my back. So what straps do you like/where did you get them? I have a hohner black dot.

Re: Accordion Straps

I personally like the hohner strap. I used to play a hohner black dot (and I’m actually trying to sell it), but I liked the hohner strap so much more that I traded the Serenellini strap from my new accordion with the hohner strap.
—-Corey

You don’t say if you play PA or button.

I play button (a big Conemarra III) and switched to two straps at my teacher;s suggestion. He wanted to get me more control of the box. My back was killing me though. So I went to two straps.

They make some straps that have a mid-back clasp. That helped my back when I switched to my Connemara. It was heavier than my othet box. The are leather, with leather covered padding. I find them a bit stiff.

On my Smaller box, I also got new straps, but with terry or fabric covered padding. much more comfortable on the shoulders and more flexible.

Each pair set me back about $50 USD

The Button box in Amherst, MA has a wide variety of straps - I got one for my Hohner there

Posted by .

Being an older sort with a creaky back, I agree, two straps is best. You may not look as cool as the guys who prop the box on their knees, but your vertebrae will thank you. Buttonbox would be my favorite source, great outfit.

‘Using only one strap on the accordion is like trying to drive a car from the passenger seat’
I’m quite convinced that one strap is a throwback to the days when accordion players could only afford one strap and it kinda stuck. Besides having only one strap on the accordion it saves you having to stand up while playing the national anthem.

Youngsters think one strap is cool! Wiser (alright "older"!) musos either use one strap because they always have done, or use two because it’s better for their back (I use two padded ones and that’s my excuse). As not being able to play standing up using only one - have you ever watched Morris box players!
For sources - where are you based Pete?

Dave Mallinson markets melodeon straps - "mally straps". I use them because they’re longer than any others I’ve seen (essential to allow a long right shoulder strap which puts the keyboard in the centre of your body)

not only are they long, they’re made of good quality leather. They’re not padded but for most button boxes that’s not important as they’e relatively light

I think Mally has a website so you can have a look there

I use a piano accordion backstrap

Posted by .

There is a logic to the one long strap if you have only the basic eight bass layout. Not a lot of action on the left hand. Thus the left arm does all the work and the right is steady so you can have more freedom of the fingers and hand. It is certainly possible to do this with two straps but more difficult than with the one strap and leg.

Thanks for the help. I play a 6 lb button box & I’m in Charlottesville, VA

If you play in a band you need to play stood up (unless everyoune plays seated)

you need two straps to play properly when stood up

Posted by .