‘Out of Print’ recordings

‘Out of Print’ recordings

I wrote to Mick hanly two weeks ago about his music being ripped by all comers and he sent me this response which I think is brilliant

"How are ye Shylock,

To be honest I have been in the habit of sending people free burn copies of these two albums when they’ve enquired about them….so it would be a bit strange if I were to be kicking up a fuss about the downloading of them now. I was young and naive when they were done and unfortunately, the masters never reverted.
All told, I guess I’d prefer the music to be enjoyed rather than not,

Regards,

Mick.

Re: ‘Out of Print’ recordings

interesting, and in some ways reassuring that the artist wants his music to spread its wings without himself getting a direct slice.

reading between the lines here, someone else still owns the mechanical copyright to the recording, and as such its up to them how its distributed.

many years ago i wrote some (non itm) music, "gave" it to an at the time well known muso, who then re-arranged it, and to cut a long story short, i have no control over it, but i think the released versions are utter sh*te and would prefer to see them buried. it is technically deleted at present; however this stuff is still doing the rounds in its own small way.

i doubt anyone would avoid downloading it just ‘cos they learnt i dont like it.

what would the downloaders excuse be here?

if you want to download music illicitley, then go ahead; just dont pretend that its totally ok.

i’d like to see Brendan Mullkere’s label back catelogue republished especially ‘Alana’ with Mandy Murrey (concertina) and co. and i’m sure there’s loads of stuff out there …

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss…